BFR and Checkout at the same time?

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange
I have a BFR scheduled for Oct 13th. But last night, the flight school that I trained at and rent from announced that it's closing operations "no later than Oct 15th". It's Ventura @ FRG. So my BFR may be canceled to begin with.

I'm not sure what to do. Now that I have to find a new place to rent from, I will have to do a checkout most likely. Can I do a BFR and checkout at the same time? Good idea?

I was thinking about trying Nassau Flyers since that's the only others school that I know of there. And I've heard good things. But it seems like they have only 1 Cherokee and 1 Archer. The rest are Cessnas and Cirrus. I'm worried that Cherokee/Archer availability may be difficult.

Any suggestions?

Absolutely. Take the opportunity to go to the dark side and get checked out in a Cessna (to increase availablity), they might look at your logbook and clear you for the pipers at the same time, if you seem like a competent pilot.

Negative on having Warriors and Archers. I still instruct there part time. PM me

Can I do a BFR and checkout at the same time? Good idea?

Sure can, IF the CFI agrees to do both. I would do both for you myself, some CFIs won't. But then they're probably more interested in....ready for it?

Whats-in-Your-Wallet-Samuel-L-Jackson-624x117.png

I have given and received a number of combined checkout/flight reviews. Nothing wrong with it and not all that uncommon.

The new place will require a checkout as a new customer anyway, so combine them. No sense doing the review with the old company before they go out of business, and then still have to pay for a checkout.

I always try to use my BFr to learn a new plane (and get checked out)

Yep. I did a BFR and dual plane check out a few years ago. Yeah, more flying than needed for the BFF, but got checked out on 2 different planes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That's what I did with my last switch - BFR and Checkout at the same time.

Orange, do you have to stay at FRG? If not, plenty of options further east at ISP and HWV. You would have to fly Cessna's though( something you should be ok with doing!)

Obviously the answer has been given many times so far, BUT I will stress to you to make sure the CFI knows you want it to also be a FR before you show up. Bad form to show up for a checkout and say "by the way, can we make this a flight review?"

My BFR and complex endorsement came in my new Mooney. I had been out of country for a year and my CFI and I flew out to Oklahoma to fly her home to northern Maryland. The whole flight counted for both. Landed about ten minutes after midnight at my home base and got signed off for complex and BFR.

Back