Best value engine monitor?

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Would like to have 6 EGTs/CHTs and fuel flow.
Cessna 182/O-470.
Thank you

Wait a year or two

when mine goes....I'm doing the Dynon SkyView....with the works.

Even used is gonna cost thousands to install. This is a labor intensive install job. I'd say $5,000-15,000 for a system. If I'm gonna drop that, I'll do the SkyView for $30,000 installed with new autopilot and engine monitor and a few other goodies.

Last edited:
My A&P gave me an EI UBG-16 monitor that he pulled from a training aircraft... the students were having problems with the plane because they could not get all the bar graphs to be the same. Scrubed flights because they did not know how to use it.. there loss, my gain... I have 1 CHt and 1 EGT on different cylinders, it will be nice to have a little more information but it will most likely not change how I fly the plane. with out an autopilot, I really do need to keep ahead of the plane and really fly it!...

A JPI EDM900 was in the Mooney when I bought it and I could not be more pleased. I would have never added one BEFORE I experienced flying and maintaining a plane with one. Engines are expensive folks. Take care of them. The engine monitor will help immensely in doing so.

Attachments

• 25D976AF-A040-4501-B9F4-0B88BA87DEDC.jpeg
    25D976AF-A040-4501-B9F4-0B88BA87DEDC.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 41
I've got a JPI 700 fora 6cyl with fuel flow laying around. I don't know what they are worth. It worked when I pulled it out of the plane.

Don’t wait. Look hard at EI CGR-30P to replace your current tach or MP gauge and not have to cut up your Dash. The JPI units are also excellent.

If you install an EFIS later, they all grandfather legacy probes from EI or JPI. Get a unit with a digital tach, they are MUCH more accurate than the old factory tach based on a watch like mechanism.

there is no low cost option here. If you elect to use a UGB-16 that is not primary certified, you can only manage 5 of 6 cylinders as the original factory CHT probe must be installed. There is a spark plug thermal washer like probe, but it will read hotter then the standard probes for that factory proved cylinder.

Last edited:
If you install an EFIS later, they all grandfather legacy probes from EI or JPI.
Wait. What? They do? You can just yank out a CGR30P and re-harness the wires into a Garmin G3x?

I've got a JPI EDM-830 which I've been very happy with. I've recently also installed an EI MVP50 which is allowed to be the primary instrument (and allows me to ditch the balky fuel gauges I used to have).

Wait. What? They do? You can just yank out a CGR30P and re-harness the wires into a Garmin G3x?

A Garmin rep made a presentation to our pilot assoc. and that was something he mentioned. Tuns out most the probes are made by a couple of vendors.

Yes, the electrical characteristics of the thermocouple sensors are the same. You can leave the sensors in place and wire them into a different monitor. Sensors other than thermal sensors maybe a different ball game though.

Both EI and JPI are good. I'd lose a JPI EGT probe every couple of hundred hours.

I have installed a CGR-30P, depending on the options you choose, its can get pricey and labor intensive, I don't think the OP is looking for that kind of investment.

The 177 just has an older stuff that works great. I would love to combine the two by installing a different EI product, probably a cheaper CGR-30P package, but I can justify it when this bird does everything I want and more.

upload_2019-10-17_8-19-3.png

I feel the same way. I want it but Im not going to buy one unless it replaces everything and by the time you do that I feel like I might as well bite the bullet and put the 5K towards a Dynon or G3. Then I realize that these over glorified tractor engines go thousands of hours on a few wet gauges and I stop thinking about it for a while

I'd lose a JPI EGT probe every couple of hundred hours.

Seriously? They should last more than 1000 hours, are they installed ~4” from the cylinder head? Or are you running a turbo?

Tom

Been using JPI in Turbo Arrow now for over 1500 hrs. Looks like this TSIO360FB may make it to TBO w/o a single cylinder replacement. Engine logs show cylinder replacements with previous incarnations of the engine beginning at 6-800 hrs (no JPI back then). Based on that, the JPI has paid for itself in this a/c...but I don't know if that would be the case for a naturally aspirated 182 engine.

I really like Insight G2 with carb temp and FF. I think I will go with it.

In fact, I have all the thermocouples for the CHT and the EGT connected to both my MVP50 and the JPI 830. The other senders (oil pressure/temp, RPM, MP, etc... ) have separate transducers for the two systems.

When I did my new panel 10 years ago I added a JPI 711 along with Aerospace Logic 100 series oil, fuel, and electrics instruments because they had a similar bar graph appearance. I didn’t add fuel flow until later and rather than sending the 711 out for reprogramming I added a JPI FS450 fuel monitor separately. I wouldn’t like fuel flow sharing my 711 readout. The 900 series instrument has more info at a bigger price. Which works best for you is subjective.

Personally I wouldn’t add a monitor that wasn’t approved for primary replacement.

How long has that engine been banging away inside that Skylane? Bast value in an engine monitor is just not to do it.

Absolutely untrue. If you learn how to actually use an engine monitor, it will pay for itself many times over during the life of your engine, and the life of that engine will be longer.

Don’t wait. Look hard at EI CGR-30P to replace your current tach or MP gauge and not have to cut up your Dash.

Also good products... And I might already have some of them, if our tach and MP weren't the 2.25" size.

I'm going with the EI CGR-30P in the near future. Has RPM and Fuel Flow at the top with everything else down below, and most importantly, fits where my original tach is.

I'm going with the EI CGR-30P in the near future. Has RPM and Fuel Flow at the top with everything else down below, and most importantly, fits where my original tach is.

Are you doing amps, volts, carb temp, fuel flow, fuel quantity?

About the only thing we didn't do on the CGR I put in the 182 was fuel quantity, mostly because dad wanted the CGR main page a certain way and with the FQ it would not do it.

I have carb temp and OAT on a different gauge. Amps and volts on another gauge and fuel quantity on a digital gauge. So all I really want is RPM/Fuel flow, oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp and egt on the CGR-30P

I have carb temp and OAT on a different gauge. Amps and volts on another gauge and fuel quantity on a digital gauge. So all I really want is RPM/Fuel flow, oil pressure, fuel pressure, oil temp and egt on the CGR-30P

That should be a lot less work than what I did, way too many man hours I spent on it lol.

Looking forward to it actually. I'll be doing it largely myself with an A&P looking over my shoulder. I need the experience/hours.

Back