Best sunglasses for flying!

Inkoosikas

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Inkoosikas
Hello folks!

I am looking at getting my sister and brother-in-law some good sunglasses for flying, and wanted peoples opinion on what would be a good choice.

Price isn’t a big issue. I know that I don’t want get polorized lenses, but otherwise I am not really sure what to look for.

Thanks!

The same sunglasses you'd use for any other activity...

Just note that if the temples on the frame are too thick, than the ear seal on the headset wont mesh around the ear as well. Get something streamlined, like a pair of aviators for example.

Yes on the non-polarized. That way I can leave them in the plane and not be tempted to take them fishing.

I’m liking Transitions, especially in the winter. Nothing like flying above a bright white cloud deck under crystal blue skies, then punching down through the icy clouds into a gloomy, cold winter wasteland and not having to change specs. I always feel silly running into the FBO men’s room wearing dark tinted aviators when it’s 6pm dark outside.

Price no object; how would you like 1/10 interest in a PC-12? You won’t even have to fly it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Well of course it's either Serengeti

Or this guy, but don't forget the jacket. Gotta have the jacket. But money is no object for ya. Get the Breitling watch to perfect the ensemble.

29867376488_93314ab959_b.jpg

For me, a gradient tint is essential. I couldn't find any lenses that were clear enough in the bottom third, so I had my optometrist's office do a custom tint on lenses for Ray Ban's.

Serengeti glasses are great, and what I use in the car.

Thin arms in any case, so they'll fit well under the headset.

I personally love my Maui Jim polarized sunglasses, but I fly old fashion steam gauges. Many "glass" panels don't get along well with polarized. I don't have any problem seeing my iPad or Aera 500 with polarized either. Different screens do "black out"...typically at the gas station pump.

I finally had to break down and get prescription sunglasses, but stayed with the Maui Jim polarized. If you have to go that route, it is a good thing price is no object. :D

I've got 2 pairs of polarized sunglasses, wear both in the airplane at times. Depending your avionics setup, the cons of polarized lens are greatly overstated.

A pair of $15 Foster Grants do the same job as a $150 pair of designer sunglasses.

Finding a good set of optically correct $15 glasses is the problem. Most cheap sunglasses have plastic lense which have some distortion and it severely screws with my vision and in turn causes a headache is very short order. Just one of the joys of getting old and dealing with fading visual acuity. When I was younger, I did the cheap sunglasses...like ZZ Top.

I've got 2 pairs of polarized sunglasses, wear both in the airplane at times. Depending your avionics setup, the cons of polarized lens are greatly overstated.
Not overstated if your displays turn black.

I actually wear Oakley Radar with yellow lenses. I don't have color distortion with them.

Last edited:
Not overstated if your displays turn black.

Hence the qualifier "depending on your avionics setup." Neither of my airplanes have displays that blackout with polarized glasses.

• No polarized - unfortunately my Oakley aviators are polarized and flying with them is a total disaster
  • Thin frames so they're comfortable with headsets
  • Plenty of coverage area (hence why aviators tend to be so large)
  • Must look downright bad ass

People waaaaay overthink the sunglasses thing.

I’ve used spy, randolf, rayband, and cheap ones, polarized and non.

The biggest thing is having thin arms on them so the headset and seal around them, this keeps it quiet and well as doesn’t press in on your temples.

Finding a good set of optically correct $15 glasses is the problem. Most cheap sunglasses have plastic lense which have some distortion and it severely screws with my vision and in turn causes a headache is very short order. Just one of the joys of getting old and dealing with fading visual acuity. When I was younger, I did the cheap sunglasses...like ZZ Top.

I suppose, but I'm not there yet.

Except look cool and hold up..

There is that.

Renowned expert Billy Gibbons says:

When you get up in the morning and the light is hurt your head
The first thing you do when you get up out of bed
Is hit that streets a-runnin' and try to beat the masses
And go get yourself some cheap sunglasses
Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah
Spied a little thing and I followed her all night
In a funky fine Levis and her sweater's kind of tight
She had a west coast strut that was as sweet as molasses
But what really knocked me out was her cheap sunglasses
Now go out and get yourself some big black frames
With the glass so dark they won't even know your name
And the choice is up to you cause they come in two classes
Rhinestone shades or cheap sunglasses

I fly with both polarized and non polarized with iPad and Garmin screens. No issues with the polarized lenses. YMMV.

The biggest thing is having thin arms on them so the headset and seal around them, this keeps it quiet and well as doesn’t press in on your temples.

No one should wear sunglasses in temple.

And EVERYONE should wear in-ear headsets like CAs or QTs.

No one has mentioned https://aoeyewear.com? They have the perfect pilot sunglasses on the first page even. And, from their website:

Right to the present time, the Original Pilot is still being manufactured in the AO complex in Southbridge, Massachusetts.

'Murican made, for pilots with headsets, look cool AF, and not expensive!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

You should never fly with any sunglasses that are not specifically sold from Sportys or Mypilotstore, because if they aren’t marked up 800% what good are they?

:) ;)

I have a pair of safety glasses from the hardware store that are tinted. I leave them in the plane.

The yellow/orangish tint thing is something for some of us. I really prefer them over neutral gray or green. Really makes the sky light up in evening lighting conditions. I’m sure some hate them.

Optically correct is a big thing after you spend some time with a pair that isn’t. It’s price dependent sometimes, but there are some cheap ones that are more than fine, some not so much. May vary by individual pair.

A pince-nez would be ideal with ANRs

I have several pairs of oakleys both polarized and not, prescription and not (contacts) that i fly with. All of them work quite well.

Non-polarized. Polarized will screw up viewing of the digital screens

My wife and I both liked Vedalo HD sunglasses. They're specifically made for flying - lightweight with thin frames that don't interfere with the headsets. It's not uncommon for me to have them on for 8+ hours in a day on my long flying days and they're extremely comfortable.

Yes, they're expensive.

You guys keep mentioning thin arms.... WTF, over? Quit being cheap and get a set of halos or similar. Then, wear any effing glasses you want.

This is quite subjective like having progressive bifocals. Everyone told me never use them for flying. My experience is such that when I bought my new prescription polarized Maui Jim sunglasses, I made sure they were progressive bifocals. They are so horrible, I cannot imagine flying without them.

It is mostly opinions and a s s h o l e s... Ya gotta find the ones which don't stink for you.

Last edited:
It’s simply person preference. All about what style of frame they like.

You guys keep mentioning thin arms.... WTF, over? Quit being cheap and get a set of halos or similar. Then, wear any effing glasses you want.

I'm a fan of the Bose A20 and Lightspeed Zulus, which are not cheap but is very comfortable for all day.

I had a Clarity aloft. The problem I have with any of the in-ear ones is that they tend to lose the seal in my ears over long flights (keep in mind my legs are usually 2+ hours) and that gets annoying. They're definitely louder than the A20s or Zulus.

I use Serengeti for years. They are small and open your ANR headset just a very little. The lenses of mine are non polarized and slightly brownish. I have the feeling that I can see way more in hazy days when the sun is shining.

Yes on the non-polarized. That way I can leave them in the plane and not be tempted to take them fishing.

I’m liking Transitions, especially in the winter. Nothing like flying above a bright white cloud deck under crystal blue skies, then punching down through the icy clouds into a gloomy, cold winter wasteland and not having to change specs. I always feel silly running into the FBO men’s room wearing dark tinted aviators when it’s 6pm dark outside.

Price no object; how would you like 1/10 interest in a PC-12? You won’t even have to fly it.

I like the Transitions, but I find that the darkening differs depending on the glass in vehicle / aircraft. I thought all glass blocked UV, but apparently some block it more than others. I have a set of clip-ons in the eyeglass holder in the car for that reason.

The clear face shields on most flight helmets used when flying ultralights make the Transitions pretty much useless because almost all the shields, including the clear ones, block UV by design. The Transitions barely darken at all. I haven't come across any flight helmets with photochromic shields, but I haven't looked all that hard, either.

Rich

Back