Best site to buy oil?

I'm looking at buying a case of Exxon Elite from Aircraft Spruce. Any better deals?

I have special ordered a few cases of oil (Phillips) via Walmart and also through the local mechanic. In all cases, delivery was much slower, but was a lot cheaper since it was part of a much larger shipment.

Tim

If you can, look for a local POL distributor like Quarles. Might save you some bucks. I get my Phillips x/c 20W-50 that way.

We have a huge oil distributor in Sacramento and, oddly enough and not mentioned on their web site, they carry cases and cases of all sorts of aviation oil at excellent prices! And they sell to the public. You might try something like that? Surprised me pleasantly....

http://www.ramosoil.com/

Go to a show where one of the vendors is having a free shipping evnet. AIrVenture any of the AOPA fly-ins.... It's usually the shipping that drives the cost up.

If you can, look for a local POL distributor like Quarles. Might save you some bucks. I get my Phillips x/c 20W-50 that way.
Our EAA chapter makes a bulk buy of cases every few months. The distributor is local and delivers to our office at the airport.

Why not save up your empty quart bottles, go in on a drum, and reap the $aving$? Phillips is as low as $4 & change.

I just bought 2 cases of Philip 66 20w-50 for $130.....I think they forgot to include the sales tax in AR which is damn near 10%. Still a good price I think. I get tired of price shopping to save $3.56.....

I buy all my oil at the site below. Best prices I've found. Close enough I get it next or second day, typically. They are in St Louis. I'm just outside of Memphis.

https://www.airplaneoil.com

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yikes, $73 plus $22 shipping? That is just too much for my taste.
I buy a case for $73 shipped, usually 1 day turnaround. Straight 100 with Lycoming additives mixed in already. See my post above.

I use Aeroshell Oil W 100+ in my J-3's Cont C-85. It is close to $100 case at local aviation supply house before 9.75% tax. Getting it shipped to my front door for under $90 bucks ($70 oil+$18.24 shipping) works for me.

I use Phillips 20W50 in my RV-4. It is $55/case plus $18.24 shipping is $73.24. Yeah, you beat my price by 24 cents. :D

I use Aeroshell Oil W 100+ in my J-3's Cont C-85. It is close to $100 case at local aviation supply house before 9.75% tax. Getting it shipped to my front door for under $90 bucks ($70 oil+$18.24 shipping) works for me.

I use Phillips 20W50 in my RV-4. It is $55/case plus $18.24 shipping is $73.24. Yeah, you beat my price by 24 cents. :D
I wasn't talking about the cheap 20W50 oil. The 100AW (straight 50W with additives, just like Aeroshell 100+) is the more expensive kind so savings on a case of that can be significant.
The distribution center is not far from you so you too could benefit from short shipping wait.

I hate shipping such large and heavy orders since it is inefficient but if I try to buy from our local oil distributor, he charges a lot more to cover his warehouse, shipping etc. Not economical. So shipping to my house it is.

For an order placed in the morning, I've received it the next day. Being relatively close is nice and likely a bit cheaper.

As a side note, my dad would spin in his grave knowing I'm using Phillips XC in my Lycoming. He was a die hard Aeroshell oil and Champion spark plug advocate as an A&P/ag pilot. My brother and laughed when my brother bought a barrel of Texaco 60wt when he owned a Stearman. We knew dad would have never approved. :D

As a side note, my dad would spin in his grave knowing I'm using Phillips XC in my Lycoming. He was a die hard Aeroshell oil and Champion spark plug advocate as an A&P/ag pilot. My brother and laughed when my brother bought a barrel of Texaco 60wt when he owned a Stearman. We knew dad would have never approved. :D
Careful what you say here, you don't want to inadvertently start another Aeroshell-vs-Phillips war. Or g*d forbid, the usual Champion-vs-Tempest religious war.
I don't think anybody saw it so we should be safe for now. Whew, crisis averted.

Now ..... how about LOP vs ROP? :D

I always bought my Aeroshell from the local Shell distributor (Quarles in my case). I didn't have to pay shipping and the price wasn't bad. Used to come with a free Country tape with a small commercial for Rotella at the start.

I buy my cases of Phillips at spruce. Maybe not the cheapest but oh well. I find it ironic to price shop to save $5 -$10.

I tend to order from where it's convenient and reliable. Spruce does that for me.

I drive across town to one of the 5-6 airplane parts stores in Anchorage that stock airplane oil. I prefer to buy Phillips XC in gallon jugs. If I liked Aeroshell 15-50 I could add Costco and Walmart to the supplier list. I enjoy living where airplanes are part of the economy.

When I used aviation oil I thought Aircraft Spruce offered a good prices & fast shipping.

Now, I just use automotive oil from Walmart. My 182 seems to like it.

I always bought my Aeroshell from the local Shell distributor (Quarles in my case). I didn't have to pay shipping and the price wasn't bad. Used to come with a free Country tape with a small commercial for Rotella at the start.

Frustrated that Quarles is only open M-F from 8am-5pm, I know that most of their customers are business customers, but they would be able to tap into a larger market if they offered a few hours on the weekend or into the evening so that those of us with day jobs could purchase from them. In the end I had to order from PSC.

I usually buy mine from airplane oil as well unless the local mechanic needs an aircraft spruce order in which case I get a discount by combining our orders.

I just checked, they don't offer free shipping (at least not anymore).
free shipping musta been a special.....:(

looks like $105 plus $24 shipping .....still not bad.

Last edited:
Lol Cutter wanted $130 for a case of Phillips XC. Crazy

I drive across town to one of the 5-6 airplane parts stores in Anchorage that stock airplane oil. I prefer to buy Phillips XC in gallon jugs. If I liked Aeroshell 15-50 I could add Costco and Walmart to the supplier list. I enjoy living where airplanes are part of the economy.
Yep. In Soldotna, you can buy it at the fuel oil distributors or at the auto parts stores. When I moved to New Mexico, it took some detective work to find aviation oil for sale. Finally found a nearby fuel oil distributor who stocked small quantities of Phillips 20w50. Pretty good price: $65+tax.

Careful what you say here, you don't want to inadvertently start another Aeroshell-vs-Phillips war. Or g*d forbid, the usual Champion-vs-Tempest religious war.
I don't think anybody saw it so we should be safe for now. Whew, crisis averted.

Now ..... how about LOP vs ROP? :D
Phillips XC is far better. I use it and haven't used anything else ... so I don't have any reference to compare against. But I know it's better. So is champion plugs

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Phillips XC is far better. I use it and haven't used anything else ... so I don't have any reference to compare against. But I know it's better. So is champion plugs

Piker. Tempest beats champion for the last 50 years. And don’t even consider Phillips XC if ya wanna minimize friction and heating.

Piker. Tempest beats champion for the last 50 years. And don’t even consider Phillips XC if ya wanna minimize friction and heating.
I call upon all champion and Phillips XC users

As mentioned elsewhere I got my case of Exxon Elite from the low budget looking site www.eliteetc.com $108 and free shipping. The interesting bit is they look to be just a drop shipper, so it came from a local distributor so ground shipping only took 2 days. I haven't tried calling the local(ish) distributor and seeing if they can give me a better deal.

I'm looking at buying a case of Exxon Elite from Aircraft Spruce. Any better deals?
Google your Zip for oil distributors we use "reisner" the local oil dealer and they're about 15 per case cheaper than AS&S no shipping.

Back