Best Paint Remover!

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
Seems like everything I try these days seems somewhat "watered down". So what products are still on the market that works really well for stripping paint?

I've used Citristrip with good results. It takes a bit longer than the more caustic ones but they're not.....um...as caustic. Sorry I couldn't fine a bigger picture.

51jM7r-hcXL._SX679_.jpg

I've used Citristrip with good results. It takes a bit longer than the more caustic ones but they're not.....um...as caustic. Sorry I couldn't fine a bigger picture.

51jM7r-hcXL._SX679_.jpg

I've tried that in the past and it did not work well at all for me.

You have to put it on thick and let it do it's work. I hate stripping paint and have found nothing that takes it all off on the first try.

So what products are still on the market that works really well for stripping paint?
KleanStrip Aircraft Paint Remover. There are some others like Solvent Kleene's D-Solv but they're at a commercial level and don't ship everywhere. Klean Strip can be bought local usually.

There was a company at Airventure 2 years ago over in the FlyMarket that had an impressive product but I can't remember their name for the life of me.

The ecostrip product from Stuart Systems has impressed me. I had to strip a bunch of things a couple of weeks ago and it did a great job.

The ecostrip product from Stuart Systems has impressed me. I had to strip a bunch of things a couple of weeks ago and it did a great job.

I found that on AS last night. Mixed reviews. Local guy tried it and said it worked, just took a while.

I cover the stripper with plastic wrap from the kitchen then put it in the sun or use a lamp to heat the area for 10 minutes, really helps.

I found that on AS last night. Mixed reviews. Local guy tried it and said it worked, just took a while.

I followed the directions -warm conditions, covered with plastic, came back in a couple of hours with my electric pressure washer, and the urethane over epoxy came right off the aluminum.

Seems like everything I try these days seems somewhat "watered down". So what products are still on the market that works really well for stripping paint?

What are you stripping? If it is a smallish part and you have access to a bead blaster, that is a quick and easy way and a heck of a lot less messy than chemical strippers.

The one thing I'll add about ecostrip is that it is repackaged something else. Problem is, I dunno what.

Point is, the product is out there under another name, probably cheaper than an "aviation product".

Fatigue on a hot day had me reading the thread title as "Best Pint Remover"

Franmar makes a decent stripper that will soften cured urethane. They sell it as soy based...what really does the business is the NMP ( n Methyl Pyrrolidone) find that in a stripper and it will soften epoxy, urethane, pretty much everything. At room temp it may need a few hours to work. At higher temps it's much faster.

Still nothing chemical which will strip paint, but leave fiberglass, other composites unmolested?
Repeat; chemical, not mechanical.

what really does the business is the NMP ( n Methyl Pyrrolidone)
Or the old favorite Methylene Chloride stripper by Turco. On a warm day you could watch it work.

Still nothing chemical which will strip paint, but leave fiberglass, other composites unmolested?
None that I've seen or worked with. It was one of the reasons we went to media blasting vs chemical stripping as the newer helicopters were becoming more composite based and the cost of chemical/paint disposal went up.

Repeat; chemical, not mechanical.

Local bizjet paint shop sands all composites. Most of these parts are so expensive that risk of damaging them with a chemical stripper far outweighs any potential labor savings.

EFS-2500

It’s an environmentally friendly paint stripper that works really well. Paint crinkles and brushes right off. It is used by Boeing, Northrop Grumman, CHC Helicopters and many others.

Also Eldorado PR-3500. Works very well. is PH neutral, safe for aluminum, magnesium, steel.

EFS-2500

It’s an environmentally friendly paint stripper that works really well. Paint crinkles and brushes right off. It is used by Boeing, Northrop Grumman, CHC Helicopters and many others.
Hmmm that seems nice. No composition info on sds sheet but they say no methylene chloride, NMP, etc. May have to try this one.

Also Eldorado PR-3500. Works very well. is PH neutral, safe for aluminum, magnesium, steel.

Aahhh yeah. Here’s the stuff methylene chloride based stripper. Wear PPE but here’s your old school bad for you but will strip just about anything paint stripper.

Finally found some local that still has Methylene Chloride called Klean Strip GKS3 or something like that. Works soooo much better than the other stuff we have been using from the home stores. I see AS still sells some strippers with MC but there is a huge hardness shipping charge.

Finally found some local that still has Methylene Chloride called Klean Strip GKS3
FYI: Be careful not to get that stuff down your drains like cleaning brushes, etc. Buy throw-away brushes/scrappers and let everything dry out.

Back