Been screwing up a lot lately. Help please

D

Dumass

I've really been making dumb mistakes lately.

* didn't run GUMPS and almost killed my engine on approach
* didn't set altimeter for night landings and was 200 feet below where I thought
* took off leaned without full mixture

I'm instrument rated and current for IPC. I'm pretty proficient with it too. My flying has been solid lately but these are too big to ignore. Each was isolated; they were spaced out over different days. But WTF?!? Any ideas? What do I do?

1. Did you really almost "kill" your engine, or do you just think you did?
2. Before I turn the battery on, one of the first things I do is set the altimeter to field elevation.
3. You didn't lean it enough for the ground ops.

I mentioned two things in a recent thread about committing to do checklists.

One is specific to checklists, assuming you want to commit to using them. In flight, instead of "too bad, so sad" and moving on when you realize you didn't do the checklist, do it now, even (especially) if it makes no sense. The idea is to make not using it inconvenient. Extreme version: you realize on short final you didn't run the before landing checklist; go around and after you climb back up, run it. You will be amazed how quickly the habit to use them will form.

The other is more general. After every flight, critique yourself in writing. Give yourself specific things to do better next time. On your next flight, the critique should include how well you met your goal. I don't do it regularly but when I get a dumbass moment, the pen comes out when I land,

I see what you mean there, it's dumbass, not dumass. Focus on what you are doing, find a cfi and pay for some dual instruction.

Checklist and even with a checklist once I read out loud, ALT set and then actually didn't set it. Got my hands slapped rt before take off

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

* didn't set altimeter for night landings and was 200 feet below where I thought

I'm instrument rated and current for IPC. I'm pretty proficient with it too. My flying has been solid lately but these are too big to ignore. Each was isolated; they were spaced out over different days. But WTF?!? Any ideas? What do I do?

How did you almost kill your engine due to gumps? Was it that you failed "G" and did not switch to fullest tank and the tank you were on was almost dry? If so, you really need to manage your fuel better and not just during GUMP check. Was it "M" and you failed to enrich mixture after you left altitude and ended up with too lean of a mixture by the time you were on final?

Setting the altimeter for night landings is no different than for day landings. Not sure what you mean there.

A lot of pilots take off without full mixture. Leaning is frequently needed for DA. Also most runup checklists have setting mixture full rich as a step. It should be done then and not left to just before takeoff. Did you do a runup?

On the engine moment, I was leaned quite a bit and then pulled to idle. The engine sputtered and I immediately went full on both.

On the altimeter, tower was closed and I, like an idiot, just didn't set it. Don't know why. I've never done that. It was 200 feet off!!! First landing was obviously as flat as Sarah Jessica Parker. I remember thinking "pattern altitude already?!" At one point. Was always low on approach but didn't think too much of it because I know the field. Still. Stupid. White over red. Always.

These suggestions are helpful. I really appreciate them.

If you aggressively lean it just after startup, than any advancement of power would cause the engine to stumble or choke. That's how it's supposed to be so you don't takeoff with it leaned. There should just be enough power for taxiing purposes.

If you were able to get airborne with it "leaned" than you were obviously not leaned enough. Consider it more of a 'max performance takeoff.' :)

@DutchRoller i did a run up but left mixture out before takeoff because I'm used to IFR ops, and clearances take a while where I am. So I adopted a "mixture up at cross hold short line" approach. It works well, except the one time it didn't.

And good call on me not being leaned enough for ground ops. Need to lean more aggressively there.

as flat as Sarah Jessica Parker. .

Oh I dunno 'bout that now!

upload_2017-4-22_8-38-52.png

How many hours do you have? Maybe your at a point where you're starting to get complacent because it's all becoming routine to you. Anything going on in life? Work or family hassles? Something that's occupying your mind? No need to answer, just think about it.

Going too fast? Try doing things like a radio call. Pause to assemble the words then make the call. Same applies to the plane.

I'm impressed by the fact that you recognize the problem and are searching for solutions...too many pilots lose their edge and never realize it. I'll add my name to those recommending checklist usage.

I like to break a flight down into segments, with fixes, airports, turn point defining segments. As I hit the start of a segment I ask myself HAST...Heading, Altitude, Speed, Termination. The first three are just checks to make sure that I a on the appropriate heading for that segment, at the appropriate altitude, maintaining the appropriate speed; "terminate" is the beginning of the next segment. Is it a descent? A turn? Whatever...I am thinking about what comes next.
Rod Machado used to recommend a "next two things" mantra, where a pilot is always thinking two steps ahead.

We all fly for fun, although some get paid, but we all have to have our brains in gear at all times...that's why I have a personal bias against music systems and/or electronic gadgets that promise to make thinking unnecessary.

Bob

To generalize, instead of thinking to yourself, "oh, I need to remember not to forget that next time", come up with a systematic way of ensuring you won't forget. The usual advice of leaning so aggressively during taxi that the engine dies upon full throttle application is one example of this.

3 questions. First, are you using the im safe checklist? Screwing up is usually fatigue or illness or other stuff covered in that checklist. Second, are you flying frequently enough to stay proficient. And 3, do you feel you're reaching an age where age becomes a factor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 questions. First, are you using the im safe checklist? Screwing up is usually fatigue or illness or other stuff covered in that checklist. Second, are you flying frequently enough to stay proficient. And 3, do you feel you're reaching an age where age becomes a factor?

That's the funny thing... I always do IMSAFE. I'm good there. Each one checks out.
90 hours in last 90 days. 35 hours in last 30 days. Flying quite a bit.
And if getting close to 40 is a problem for age, then I'm really effed. Lol

And @mscard88 I iterally just bought some of that!

Funny, I jut finished a few of 'em myself! Small world. :)

Look, your solution is to force yourself to use a checklist, or write out Post-It notes and stick on the plane to remind you. That's all you need to do, get serious about it and make yourself do it. Someone mentioned going around when you realized you forgot the checklist. A few go-arounds (good practice BTW) should get you back into the habit.

Who's buying these weird " med" questions that pop up from first time posters? Thinking something behind them.....

That's the funny thing... I always do IMSAFE. I'm good there. Each one checks out.
90 hours in last 90 days. 35 hours in last 30 days. Flying quite a bit.
And if getting close to 40 is a problem for age, then I'm really effed. Lol

Hmmm, maybe the flip side as others have intimated is complacently since you're flying a lot!

Checklist dawg.

Doing these stupid things will remind you to use the checklist. Make your own checklist and make it so you can run it quickly. Just pull out an actual checklist.

Last edited:
Checklist dawg.

Doing these stupid things will remind you to use the checklist. Make your own checklist and make it so you can run it quickly. Just pull out an actual checklist.
This.

Another instructor once asked me, why don't pilots use checklists? My answer was, because most checklists suck. Usually because they have way too much information.

We're not in an operation where SOPs are imposed on us and checklists are "official." So, we get to make our own in a way that makes them more useful for us.

I've been writing my own since I was a student pilot. I'm still experimenting and tweaking them to make them more useful and usable for me.

This.

Another instructor once asked me, why don't pilots use checklists? My answer was, because most checklists suck. Usually because they have way too much information.

We're not in an operation where SOPs are imposed on us and checklists are "official." So, we get to make our own in a way that makes them more useful for us.

I've been writing my own since I was a student pilot. I'm still experimenting and tweaking them to make them more useful and usable for me.
Yeah. Thats what I've done. I have basically three levels of "checking." The "flows" from habit and memory. My easy to read acronym generic "checklist" right there on my knee and the "store bought" one. Preflight and runup I do with the store bought one. In the air I take it out, when I have time, to back up the "flows" and the quickie homemade version on my knee.

I mentioned two things in a recent thread about committing to do checklists.

One is specific to checklists, assuming you want to commit to using them. In flight, instead of "too bad, so sad" and moving on when you realize you didn't do the checklist, do it now, even (especially) if it makes no sense. The idea is to make not using it inconvenient. Extreme version: you realize on short final you didn't run the before landing checklist; go around and after you climb back up, run it. You will be amazed how quickly the habit to use them will form.

The other is more general. After every flight, critique yourself in writing. Give yourself specific things to do better next time. On your next flight, the critique should include how well you met your goal. I don't do it regularly but when I get a dumbass moment, the pen comes out when I land,

Wow. I never heard of doing that. What a cool idea. I'm definately starting to do this when I see stuff I don't like that I did on my flights.

I'm impressed by the fact that you recognize the problem and are searching for solutions...too many pilots lose their edge and never realize it. I'll add my name to those recommending checklist usage.

I like to break a flight down into segments, with fixes, airports, turn point defining segments. As I hit the start of a segment I ask myself HAST...Heading, Altitude, Speed, Termination. The first three are just checks to make sure that I a on the appropriate heading for that segment, at the appropriate altitude, maintaining the appropriate speed; "terminate" is the beginning of the next segment. Is it a descent? A turn? Whatever...I am thinking about what comes next.
Rod Machado used to recommend a "next two things" mantra, where a pilot is always thinking two steps ahead.

We all fly for fun, although some get paid, but we all have to have our brains in gear at all times...that's why I have a personal bias against music systems and/or electronic gadgets that promise to make thinking unnecessary.

Bob

I also never heard of HAST....Another thing I'm going to add to my flight workflow.

Post like these are the reasons I spend so much time here reading and learning! Thanks!

Wow. I never heard of doing that. What a cool idea. I'm definately starting to do this when I see stuff I don't like that I did on my flights.
Depending on which one you are referring to...

The "make it inconvenient" to create a habit is kind of original (only in the sense I didn't get it from someone else). I'm old enough to have been in cars with no seat belts. They were in the second car I drove and I decided to find a way not to forget. I would drive along, realize I didn't have it on, pull over to the curb right away, put the car in park, put it on, and then get going again. PITA! But I haven't forgotten to put it on since.

The written post-flight critique is not original. I first heard about it at a seminar on single pilot operations given by NBAA (National Business Aircraft Association). I think their idea is to do it every flight, but I'm not that good and reserve it for when I see a problem.

I don't think you're a pilot. Stop playing on the internet.

Silly question, when you say checklist, Is it physical or is it in your brain? I run GUMPS, but by talking out loud. When you say check list does everyone have a small pack of slips with it written out?

Silly question, when you say checklist, Is it physical or is it in your brain? I run GUMPS, but by talking out loud. When you say check list does everyone have a small pack of slips with it written out?
I have a physical checklist. I'd call the stuff in your brain a flow. Flows are memorized. Checklists are never memorized. You can't have a flow without a checklist.

I have a physical checklist. I'd call the stuff in your brain a flow. Flows are memorized. Checklists are never memorized. You can't have a flow without a checklist.

I hope there are parts of the emergency checklist you have memorized.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back