BATD usage

4RNB

Line Up and Wait
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
4RNB
I am considering buying a BATD. Might this be of use to other pilots that they might pay for time on the sim? Have you ever done this or heard of people that do?

I am considering buying a BATD. Might this be of use to other pilots that they might pay for time on the sim? Have you ever done this or heard of people that do?
I’ve bought time on sims. But they were at Flight Schools.

You are better off trying to find a flight school that will dry lease it.

I have a BATD but I've never considered renting out time on it. If I had a buddy who wanted to use it, I wouldn't hesitate, but as a psuedo-business, no thanks for a number of reasons.

I rent one. It's great, you can log approaches and holds, close but not the real thing. Still invaluable IMO.

What are the sim rates folks are paying?

I do not need to run this as a business, but thought to offer it out and help others while they appropriately remunerate me.

I'd have to start in the house, but picture having a building just for this. No toilet but would have HVAC.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 11.10.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-24 at 11.10.03 AM.png
    40.8 KB · Views: 19
A local flight school has has both a BATD and AATD you can reserve for use.

As best I know, nobody within an hour of me as any approved devices.

They do this for sims?

Yes. Renting time at a flight school for say $60 is way more cost effective than buying a BATD which can run north to $7000 (there may be cheaper options now, but that was the cheapest one available when I bought mine).

However, I bought mine because there wasn't one conveniently located near to me and hooking up with a safety pilot became problematic. Don't regret it one bit.

Yes. Renting time at a flight school for say $60 is way more cost effective than buying a BATD which can run north to $7000 (there may be cheaper options now, but that was the cheapest one available when I bought mine).

However, I bought mine because there wasn't one conveniently located near to me and hooking up with a safety pilot became problematic. Don't regret it one bit.

Thanks, that is kind of my situation also.

You open yourself to being sued. If the person who rented your sim crashes…lawyers could add you to the long list of people they’ll go after.

You open yourself to being sued. If the person who rented your sim crashes…lawyers could add you to the long list of people they’ll go after.

Any examples of this?
Does not seem likely.

They do this for sims?

Maybe a dry lease wasn't the right term but you can probably find one that will rent it out hourly and give you a percentage...if they don't already have a sim.

I've thought about buying one with a pilot friend or two. Sim club? I remember shopping around for one. Sometimes used approved home sim ones can be had for around $2000.

Maybe a dry lease wasn't the right term
Probably exactly the right term. :)
142 schools use “dry lease” to identify when sims are leased to a company that uses their own instructors rather than the school’s.

I have thought about buying a sim,but that would only keep me away from the airport. I have two flight schools that have sims available,much more economical way to go.

As best I know, nobody within an hour of me as any approved devices.
Re-check periodically. My home base has two that I know of. Each is with a flying club. They require club membership but both clubs have social memberships which allow use.

The more I use them the more effective I find them (despite their limitations).

Probably exactly the right term. :)
142 schools use “dry lease” to identify when sims are leased to a company that uses their own instructors rather than the school’s.
Or maybe a popular extension (misuse?) of a technical FAA legal concept.

They would sue the manufacturer of the sim long before the owner of the sim. But this would likely be thrown out quickly by a judge. Has a sim manufacturer ever been named in a Part 121 crash lawsuit?

They would sue the manufacturer of the sim long before the owner of the sim. But this would likely be thrown out quickly by a judge. Has a sim manufacturer ever been named in a Part 121 crash lawsuit?
I'm hoping he was being sarcastic.

But there could be significant ROI differences.

Doubtful for an individual owner trying to rent an AATD out trying to cover costs and maybe make a little profit.. The acquisition and operating requirements (physical space, etc) just don’t make since except for organizations like flight schools or clubs with large enough memberships that are rated and would use it.

Doubtful for an individual owner trying to rent an AATD out trying to cover costs and maybe make a little profit.. The acquisition and operating requirements (physical space, etc) just don’t make since except for organizations like flight schools or clubs with large enough memberships that are rated and would use it.

I didn’t read anything here that implied a lack of space. And it was mentioned repeatedly of renting time. Just an idea as the AATD has far more usefulness for certain purposes.

I didn’t read anything here that implied a lack of space. And it was mentioned repeatedly of renting time. Just an idea as the AATD has far more usefulness for certain purposes.

I was speaking in general terms. The OP may well have the space and tens of thousands of dollars to drop on an AATD. All I’m saying is just doesn’t make sense based upon my experience renting time on an AATD during my instrument training and currently owning my own BATD. Could it work, maybe, but if it was such a viable option I think it would be somewhat common and it ain’t.

Our local community college has an AATD. You can get 16 logged hours for $500, and that includes the CFI.

I purchased the Gleim BATD last year, no regrets.

I recently heard of someone buying one and started making money from locals / buddies.

I recently heard of someone buying one and started making money from locals / buddies.
pictures?

I gave you a like as this topic brought out your 2nd post since 2013!!!

It is the Gleim I am looking at. I am wondering for practice of emergencies if I can make it have random failures (I don't really have someone to sit at instructors station to throw them my way). I think of a sim as a great way to practice in flight emergencies.

Thanks, Yea I’m generally not to much of a poster.

Here are a few that I took this past week, I generally attach the approach pictures to my ForeFlight log book when logging currency.

I can take a few more photos of the complete set up and the failure selections.

Graphics are great if VFR.

The lower right iPad screen show it works with the IFD series app and when using that it will communicate with Forflight.

85B58AFF-C953-4EA8-9412-4854C7D9357B.jpeg56B3B27D-4F8F-4234-9707-39C8AFBE2AB3.jpeg32B4199C-0762-42F9-B610-D8A4A4C35AF7.jpeg4AFB80EB-1D53-4D9A-9305-89E45CDD4DDB.jpeg

Back