Basic med question

bester

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
bester
I just got my SI. It says “not valid for any class after “8-31-2023.” Is Basic Med considered a “class,” or will I need another SI for basic med?

This is in fact one of the principal reasons for Basic Med--that once you qualify for a special issuance, you no longer need to comply with any ongoing exam and testing requirements and can use Basic Med.
Jon

Just make sure your FAA medical expires vs being revoked / cancelled because you didn't keep up with any requirements of the SI.

You can do Basic Med with an expired/lapsed medical. You are not eligible for Basic Med if your FAA medical was revoked or denied.

If you didn't keep up with with the requirements of the SI (i.e. submitting stipulated updates), will the FAA eventually revoke/cancel the medicate certificate? Or they don't bother to follow up because they are so busy?

If you didn't keep up with with the requirements of the SI (i.e. submitting stipulated updates), will the FAA eventually revoke/cancel the medicate certificate? Or they don't bother to follow up because they are so busy?
They don't need to cancel or revoke the certificate. It's simply "not valid" after a specified date on the SI.

They are not too busy to revoke certificates.

But the typical SI says "not valid" after a certain date and requires the medical updates in order to renew the SI and obtain a new medical certificate. You don't do the update, the SI and associated medical expire, and that's the end of it. No cancellation, no revocation, just normal date expiration.

The medical certificate expires with the SI, so after 8/31, there will be no certificate to revoke.

Does your SI require submission of a physician’s report prior to expiration? My old SI was valid for a year but for several years it required my physician to complete a worksheet at 6 months. I’d be inclined to comply with the instructions until it expires.

Does your SI require submission of a physician’s report prior to expiration? My old SI was valid for a year but for several years it required my physician to complete a worksheet at 6 months. I’d be inclined to comply with the instructions until it expires.
That would be the non-typical SI. If there is a requirement to meet before the certificate expires, not meting the requirement would likely result in revocation of the certificate.

You have to look at what the SI actually says.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back