Basic Med Physician

Stemme

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
mtglider
Anyone know physicians doing basic med in and around Bozeman, Montana.

Thanks

I tried that (AOPA list of BasicMed) and the Doctors I called all said “Basic what???” Or “you want a 3rd , 2nd m, or 1st class medical? No, I’m an AME I only do FAA medicals”.

At least around me, the list has bad data.
I talked to one doc said flat-out he’s an AME not touching BasicMed, I asked “how did you get on AOPA’s list specifically for BasicMed?” He said “I don’t know, I’m an AME I don’t know what that is”.

Thanks

98581f9bec49ab67488613721aa8164b.jpg

https://teamcme.com/find-faa-basicmed-examiner/

I tried that (AOPA list of BasicMed) and the Doctors I called all said “Basic what???” Or “you want a 3rd , 2nd m, or 1st class medical? No, I’m an AME I only do FAA medicals”.

At least around me, the list has bad data.
I talked to one doc said flat-out he’s an AME not touching BasicMed, I asked “how did you get on AOPA’s list specifically for BasicMed?” He said “I don’t know, I’m an AME I don’t know what that is”.

Sad indeed. I've been trying to get basicmed physician exam form completed for a few weeks now. As yet, unsuccessfully...

The Billings one TCABM listed above isn't very close to BZN.

Sad indeed. I've been trying to get basicmed physician exam form completed for a few weeks now. As yet, unsuccessfully...

The Billings one TCABM listed above isn't very close to BZN.

I think the lesson here is make sure you do this ~2-3 months before your previous medial expires, you’re gonna need your airplane to “cast a wider net” and find a doc that can do it, maybe outside of driving distance but het you gotta plane, right ? (It does not have to be in your home state).

In my area, there’s a cottage industry of BasicMed doctors sprung-up in TN because a quirk of the law makes Chiropractors a “state licensed physician” for the purpose of BasicMed in Tennessee.
(Not gonna derail the thread by saying opinions about Chiropractors, but hey… any port in a storm).

Last edited:
Interesting, I'm in East TN. Wonder where I might locate one of these Chiros.

…The Billings one TCABM listed above isn't very close to BZN.
Like in Texas, a 2hr drive in Montana is right around the corner. But a quick google search for DOT physical Bozeman brought up

https://www.bozemancreekfamilyhealt...MIlL7hlY2v_gIVtBXUAR1yAgGwEAAYAiAEEgLpPPD_BwE
Their website advertises
28fe5b2909a50c725e0f01aa3768cb5c.jpg

Phone calls are free to confirm the type of FAA medical provided. The google also indicates there’s up to a dozen or more providers in Bozeman performing DOT physicals; those folks are usually willing to make a quick dollar and tend to be much more open BasicMed than most AMEs are.

Interesting, I'm in East TN. Wonder where I might locate one of these Chiros.

“Dr. Michael Tigges“
Gallatin, Tennessee (nearest airport: XNX)
http://basicmedfaa.com/faa-basicmed-exam-faabasicmed/

I have a somewhat complex situation, and he took the time to talk me though it, told me what I needed to do to get my paperwork in order (I‘ve only talked to him, this was “getting my ducks in a row” well before it was time for my CMEC).
So, seems to be a good resource and well knowledgeable about BasicMed.

“Dr. Michael Tigges“
Gallatin, Tennessee (nearest airport: XNX)
http://basicmedfaa.com/faa-basicmed-exam-faabasicmed/

I have a somewhat complex situation, and he took the time to talk me though it, told me what I needed to do to get my paperwork in order (I‘ve only talked to him, this was “getting my ducks in a row” well before it was time for my CMEC).
So, seems to be a good resource and well knowledgeable about BasicMed.
A search found him, but he's around 5 hours from me... Perhaps one in my area would be willing. I see TN approves of it. Thanks.

When I talked to my personal physician, I took him the form during one of my annuals. He looked it over, and said it was just like he signs off for truckers, so he said no problems. Said everything on the form is basically what he covers during the normal annual exams.

When I talked to my personal physician, I took him the form during one of my annuals. He looked it over, and said it was just like he signs off for truckers, so he said no problems. Said everything on the form is basically what he covers during the normal annual exams.

This is what I do as well. The first time I used my personal physician we walked through it in more depth so he was comfortable with what he was getting into.

I personally feel way more comfortable with my personal physician, who knows me and is treating me for why I’m not on a regular medical.

Worth a shot if they will take a peak, and it never hurts to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Your regular physician can do them, if you have one.

The doc at Bozeman Creek Family Health (screen shot above) is an AME so if you sign up with her, she'll likely want to do a MedExpress on you unless you are explicit.

When I jumped to Basic Med in Jan, I googled "DOT Physicals" and picked one. Doc I went with is a state-licensed physician and took some explaining what "basic med" meant but he had no issues signing off after an exam. He even asked something like "what do they expect me to do with a digital rectal exam? That seems a bit much."

Message me if you'd like specifics.

Yes, I live in Bozeman.

Same here. I get a complete annual physical and he signs off my Basic Med every other year, along with my SCCA Comp license paperwork

My Basic Med experience from last week, for what it's worth:

My PCP is very anti-government and lawsuit averse, and would not touch Basic Med with a 10 foot pole.

Turns out the Urgent Care clinic a short walk from my house was wiling to perform the physical. They were unfamiliar with Basic Med and were a little surprised when I handed over a sheaf of paperwork, and they asked for a day or two to look it over. We made an appointment for a few days in the future and when I came back, they were ready to go, and happy to perform the physical and sign the paperwork.

I was in and out in 20 minutes. 30, if you count the 10 min I spent the first visit explaining what I wanted and introducing them to the paperwork. Pretty inexpensive for a doc visit, too.

Back