Basic Med and logbook

dbahn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Bahnson
So the FAA site says to keep a copy of your Basic Med documents with your logbook. AOPA hints that you just need to have them available.

I still use a paper logbook, partly because I'm on my seventh one and don't really need the log much anymore, except for compliance with the regs. Last year I carried the folded paper documents around in my logbook, which I generally keep at home, but it was still a nuisance to have folded papers with it.

So this year I took advantage of the FAA's allowance to keep it electronically - with my logbook. :)

IMG_2888.jpg

I didn't check, but I don't thin the FAA dictates it be with your logbook - you just have to have it; keep it where you like, I think.

I flew with a guy, very high time, who only logged what was required for currency. I always suspected he kept another book somewhere, his non FAA version.

So this year I took advantage of the FAA's allowance to keep it electronically - with my logbook. :)

Great idea! Up till now, I've been keeping my logbook at home when I fly, because the 9 x 12 envelope that I keep my BasicMed documents in doesn't really fit in my logbook. Unfortunately, that creates a need to remember to bring it on the occasions when I need to fly with a CFI.

By the way, to save folks some searching, the relevant authorization in the FAA link you provided is in the answer to Question #30.

I didn't check, but I don't thin the FAA dictates it be with your logbook - you just have to have it; keep it where you like, I think.

I flew with a guy, very high time, who only logged what was required for currency. I always suspected he kept another book somewhere, his non FAA version.
The legislation that authorized BasicMed specified that the Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (CMEC) be kept "in" your logbook. :rolleyes:

(And because of the statutory deadline for implementation, the FAA's regulations copied the statutory language word-for-word.)

Last edited:

You should have checked. It's explicit in Part 68:

A certification of completion of the medical education course, which shall be retained in the individual's logbook and made available upon request, and shall contain the individual's name, address, and airman certificate number;

Of course, the FAA is pretty lenient as to what they consider a "logbook."

By the way, to save folks some searching, the relevant authorization in the FAA link you provided is in the answer to Question #30.

Also Question #22:

Q22: What documentation do I need to keep?

A: You only need to keep the original or a legible copy of your Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (all pages) and your medical education course completion certificate. You must store these in your logbook; you can store them electronically in any format, as long as you can produce an accurate and legible representation of these documents at the request of the FAA. You don’t have to carry either of these documents in any form while flying under BasicMed.

Note the "all pages" requirement, which is five pages of information.

A certification of completion of the medical education course, which shall be retained in the individual's logbook and made available upon request, and shall contain the individual's name, address, and airman certificate number;

Well, that's why I mention AOPA's guidance (3rd question), which suggests that you don't need to keep it in your logbook, but just have it available on request.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO CARRY WITH ME IN ORDER TO EXERCISE THE NEW RULE?
You will need to carry a valid state-issued driver’s license (and comply with all medical requirements or restrictions on that license) and your pilot certificate. You must keep in your logbook or store in an accurate and legible electronic format:

• the completed FAA medical examination checklist called a Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (CMEC) with in the last 48-months to the day;
  • and the online course certificate of completion demonstrating that you completed an FAA-approved online medical education course within the past 24 calendar months.
These records must be made available to the FAA upon request, but you are not required to carry them with you when you fly.

There's also the following in 61.113(i)(3):

(3) The pilot has available in his or her logbook -

(i) The completed medical examination checklist required under § 68.7 of this chapter;​

Folks! A logbook is whatever you want it to be. If your "logbook" is your file cabinet, so be it. If you showed up to a checkride with your flights logged on post-it notes or index cards, there's no prohibition and therefore nothing for the examiner to DQ you on.

When I give presentations on BasicMed, I just tell folks to keep it somewhere safe. Doesn't have to be stapled in your pilot flight logbook...just somewhere you can come up with it later if asked.

Yep, that's what I meant when I said the FAA is lenient about what considers the log book (be it pilot or aircraft).

Well, that's why I mention AOPA's guidance (3rd question), which suggests that you don't need to keep it in your logbook, but just have it available on request.

WHAT DO I HAVE TO CARRY WITH ME IN ORDER TO EXERCISE THE NEW RULE?
You will need to carry a valid state-issued driver’s license (and comply with all medical requirements or restrictions on that license) and your pilot certificate. You must keep in your logbook or store in an accurate and legible electronic format:

• the completed FAA medical examination checklist called a Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (CMEC) with in the last 48-months to the day;
  • and the online course certificate of completion demonstrating that you completed an FAA-approved online medical education course within the past 24 calendar months.
These records must be made available to the FAA upon request, but you are not required to carry them with you when you fly.
You just keep it in your logbook and have it available upon request. These requirements are complementary, not contradictory.

But since you aren't required to fly with your logbook, there's no requirement to present it instantly when asked for it. I keep a copy on my google drive, which is usually accessible where I can get a cell signal.

I've been keeping my logbook at home when I fly, because the 9 x 12 envelope that I keep my BasicMed documents in doesn't really fit in my logbook. Unfortunately, that creates a need to remember to bring it on the occasions when I need to fly with a CFI.

I always recommend keeping logbooks in a safe place at home. But when you "need to fly with a CFI" that instructor is supposed to sign your logbook. (It can be done electronically.)

I always recommend keeping logbooks in a safe place at home. But when you "need to fly with a CFI" that instructor is supposed to sign your logbook. (It can be done electronically.)

It can be on a bar napkin, too.

You just keep it in your logbook and have it available upon request. These requirements are complementary, not contradictory.

This statement taken directly from AOPA is contradictory. It says you don't have to keep it in your logbook, which contradicts the FAA statement.

"You must keep in your logbook or store in an accurate and legible electronic format."

That's an "or" statement, not an "and" statement, which contradicts the FAA statement.

Practically speaking, the FAA isn't going to follow you as you retrieve your logbook from your own home, so whether it's kept in your logbook or in your desk isn't really important.

Last edited:
I have a log book for flight reviews, ratings,an my basic med. Call me whatever…it works for me.

Incorrect.

https://www.faa.gov/sites/faa.gov/f...rmen_certification/basic_med/basicmed_faq.pdf

Q22: What documentation do I need to keep?

A: You only need to keep the original or a legible copy of your Comprehensive Medical Examination Checklist (all pages) and your medical education course completion certificate. You must store these in your logbook; you can store them electronically in any format, as long as you can produce an accurate and legible representation of these documents at the request of the FAA. You don’t have to carry either of these documents in any form while flying under BasicMed.

Or like aircraft logs are done these days, the instructor can fill out and sign a sticker that you can stick into your log book.

I keep a copy on my google drive, which is usually accessible where I can get a cell signal.

I have a copy of it, with other things like my SFRA training, my certificates, my passport, my driver's license, etc in DropBox, plus I put a copy on my phone and the tablet I use for flying,

Or like aircraft logs are done these days, the instructor can fill out and sign a sticker that you can stick into your log book.

And be sure to scan that signature into your computer, just in case there's a future need. Also helps to have scans of two or three mechanics' signatures. You never know when one might come in handy, like if a spinner screw needs tightening or something.

Mine is in my logbook, which is always with me.

As has been mentioned, having your log book with you may not be the best thing.

I lost a lot of info when my logbook was lost in a post crash fire. And I later found I did not have all the flights in my electronic log. But even so, I lost notes, comments and signoffs from over 15 years.

I also keep my log book, medical, I pad and phone with me in the plane at all times. I do have copy of the medical at home. I fly with 2 CFII for fun but sometimes they sign my logs, so it is good to have them with me. So we can look up currency.
I have only been flying since 2015 and am on my 4th log book. So if I loose it I won't be out that much info, plus all my flights are on my I pad on FF. My log book would be shambles if it was 15 years old.

I just keep my BasicMed documentation folded up and in an envelope stuck in the back of my paper log book. I leave that home unless I am undergoing a flight review. I am concerned that if I am hauling important things around with me, they may get lost somehow.

At my age (75) and current stack of logbooks (7) I have no interest in going to an electronic log. On the other hand, it's easy to keep a running photographic album of every page in every logbook. It doesn't take that much time, and there's virtually no cost in doing so.

I can see where sorting out various categories of flight time would be considerably easier with software, especially if those categories were important, but at this point in my life they're not important except for currency and insurance applications.

This post takes on a different meaning when the reader was taught from a young age that "BM" is short for Bowel Movement. Interesting thing to keep a scan of. Lol
Used to be a trend of people making Xerox copies of their buttocks but this is even more gross.

I keep that snazzy Basic Med mini fold up certificate in the pocket next to my license in my main notebook. No pockets in my paper logbook.

At my age (75) and current stack of logbooks (7) I have no interest in going to an electronic log.
A lot of pilots say this, but it seems like a sunk-cost fallacy to me. Putting all your prior time into an electronic log is cool, but you don't have to, you can just enter your current totals to start with as you do when you start a new paper logbook. So the question is, which is better going forward, and the electronic log wins hands down.

Last edited:
This post takes on a different meaning when the reader was taught from a young age that "BM" is short for Bowel Movement. Interesting thing to keep a scan of. Lol

You’ll never really know what’s in this .pdf :cornut:

I keep that snazzy Basic Med mini fold up certificate in the pocket next to my license in my main notebook. No pockets in my paper logbook.

What is that? I didn't realize that there was a miniature option for the paperwork.

As has been mentioned, having your log book with you may not be the best thing.

I lost a lot of info when my logbook was lost in a post crash fire. And I later found I did not have all the flights in my electronic log. But even so, I lost notes, comments and signoffs from over 15 years.
Sorry, I couldn't resist making that comment. I absolutely agree if one's primary logbook is paper it shouldn't be carried unless you are one of the limited group that is required to.

Mine has been digital for several years. The old paper ones are in a drawer at home. I stopped using it for my entries about 10 years ago and the last relevant CFI signature or endorsement was in 2019 (from a CFI who did not want to eSign). If they were destroyed, say in a house fire, I wouldn't worry about it.

I can see where sorting out various categories of flight time would be considerably easier with software, especially if those categories were important, but at this point in my life they're not important except for currency and insurance applications.

You just never know. After a LOT of years flying OPAs (Other People Aircraft) I bought one. I needed a breakdown of time in type, complex/HP time, and retract time. Easy, peasy with electronic log book.

At my age (75) and current stack of logbooks (7) I have no interest in going to an electronic log. On the other hand, it's easy to keep a running photographic album of every page in every logbook. It doesn't take that much time, and there's virtually no cost in doing so.

No need if there's no need. I might not care either if I wasn't a geek who started keeping an eLog (originally as backup and for calculations) around 1994, just a few years after I started lessons.

You just never know. After a LOT of years flying OPAs (Other People Aircraft) I bought one. I needed a breakdown of time in type, complex/HP time, and retract time. Easy, peasy with electronic log book.
One thing I started doing long before electronic logbooks were a thing was to summarize those times at the end of a logbook and carry the summary times to the beginning of the next logbook. Had I been looking at an aviation career I would have done things differently and kept more accurate and more organized logs, but mine are more like journals than they are like official records for anyone else's scrutiny, although they can always document any currency requirements.

I probably have 100 hours or more that simply aren't logged, but I'm not the slightest bit concerned with that.

What is that? I didn't realize that there was a miniature option for the paperwork.
There is. Sort of / mostly. Chances are this is good enough for a ramp check. If not, I’ve got a copy of the full size 2 page Basic Med in my flight bag.

C76689B7-3605-4CCB-BA0C-5A7B5353F698.jpeg

Back