Basic Med Advice from my Doc

Iflydogs

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Iflydogs
Did my annual checkup and my doctor signed off on my FAA Basic Med eval. He did it 4 years ago too, but I was wary as I have read in this forum that others have had problems with their docs signing off, liability, whatever. When he handed me the sheet I thanked him and said, “You know, I’m really healthy, the only reason I get a checkup each year is for this FAA exam. This is what he said, which might help some of you whose docs are recalcitrant: (now bear in mind I live in West Virginia)

“I worked in a rural part of the state when I began as a doctor. All my male patients told me if it wasn’t for the DOT medical, they would never come in for a checkup,”

There are a lot of pilots that wouldn't go in if it wasn't required for their certificate.
But there are also a lot of pilots that won't have some serious conditions looked at for fear of action against their certificate. I have a friend that knows he has serious sleep apnea but refuses to have it checked out, and his PCP/Basic Med doc has never mentioned it.

If it aint broke, don't fix it. Pilot, DOT worker, or otherwise, many people don't have annual physicals because they don't think anything is broken.

But there are also a lot of pilots that won't have some serious conditions looked at for fear of action against their certificate. I have a friend that knows he has serious sleep apnea but refuses to have it checked out, and his PCP/Basic Med doc has never mentioned it.
A lot of pilots have seriously screwed up priorities.

Does he have any trouble staying awake while flying?

Would be interesting to know how many pilots flying under basic med also get a complete physical yearly.

Would be interesting to know how many pilots flying under basic med also get a complete physical yearly.
I’ll bet its a high correlation. I started getting yearly checkups when I switched to Basic Med. you can’t just show up at your doc’s every 4 years.

There are a lot of pilots that wouldn't go in if it wasn't required for their certificate.
He SHOULD have it checked out if he is on Basic Med. That's the reason for Basic - he won't automatically get his medical taken away and have to deal with the FAA. Treated sleep apnea isn't a disqualifying condition for Basic. If he and his Doc think his apnea is under control / treatment is working, then he's OK. If he's not addressed it yet/not quite there in treatment, then DON'T FLY.

OK, off my soap box.......

Me. But I also have family history of illnesses I would not want to be surprised with, so I'm very pro-active.

My doc sees me twice a year. I thank the Good Lord I have no issues and I'd like to do what I can to keep it that way.

It is said that when we are young we spend our health for wealth, but when we get older we spend our wealth for health ...

Sleep apnea is not one of the conditions requiring an SI prior to Basic Med. if your friend is already on Basic, there’s no reason for him not to seek treatment.

If you are on Medicare you get an annual checkup. I use that every year to get a new CMEC signed off. It also probably helps me keep my insurance. The insurers start looking at you different after 70. My doc doesn’t see it any different than a DOT truck driver sign off.

He SHOULD have it checked out if he is on Basic Med. That's the reason for Basic - he won't automatically get his medical taken away and have to deal with the FAA. Treated sleep apnea isn't a disqualifying condition for Basic. If he and his Doc think his apnea is under control / treatment is working, then he's OK. If he's not addressed it yet/not quite there in treatment, then DON'T FLY.

OK, off my soap box.......
Good point. I'll mention to that to him.

Can you use a PA (physician assistant) to fill out your basicmed docs? If your driver license is expired then does that mean your basicmed medical is not valid?

Can you use a PA (physician assistant) to fill out your basicmed docs? If your driver license is expired then does that mean your basicmed medical is not valid?
Sadly, PA's aren't allowed to complete basicmec even though it is ...basic.
Drivers license is not related to basicmed.

Does he have any trouble staying awake while flying?
Falling asleep is one of the effects of sleep apnea, but more insidious is the fatigue that results in decreased mental acuity, not unlike hypoxia where you might feel OK but not process information effectively.

As one of the pioneers of sleep study puts it, "Sleep debt makes you stupid". So an airman on Basic Med should be able to seek treatment for sleep apnea but does not have to go through any of the hoops to prove that the treatment complies with rigorous FAA standards and documentation.

Ah, I missed that.
From your friendly FAA website …..
IMG_4200.jpeg

What is the most common “chief complaint” at the PCP’s offife ?

ANS: “my spouse made me come”
Bruce,

What's the remediation when one does BasicMed, but the FAA airman's registry never updates? I did the Mayo CBT as it seems to flow more smoothly to me, and printed out my completion certificate. But, six months later, and the airman registry still shows my two years ago BasicMed date. The airman registry website says to report discrepancies to CAMI and gives a 405 phone number. But when I called that number, the woman became irate and told me BasicMed wasn't her responsibility, it was a creation of congress. Heck isn't her organization a creation of congress as well?

Anway, how does one repair a stuck BasicMed update? I could do the computer based training again... but am I demonstrating the basic definition of insanity by repeating the same actions and expectinga different outcome?

Paul

Bruce,

What's the remediation when one does BasicMed, but the FAA airman's registry never updates? I did the Mayo CBT as it seems to flow more smoothly to me, and printed out my completion certificate. But, six months later, and the airman registry still shows my two years ago BasicMed date. The airman registry website says to report discrepancies to CAMI and gives a 405 phone number. But when I called that number, the woman became irate and told me BasicMed wasn't her responsibility, it was a creation of congress. Heck isn't her organization a creation of congress as well?

Anway, how does one repair a stuck BasicMed update? I could do the computer based training again... but am I demonstrating the basic definition of insanity by repeating the same actions and expectinga different outcome?

Paul
Maybe the problem is on Mayo's end. I did mine with AOPA in August, and it's up-to-date on FAA.gov.

Bruce,

Paul

It may be an issue with the Mayo course. I used it to renew, took the exam Sept 9, but my FAA info still shows the previous AOPA course completion.

I emailed the Mayo email from the site, but never heard from them.

Back