Barf Air

I find this
"'Pilots were on the verge of throwing up,' the report read"
hard to believe

I'm sure having every single window shade closed with people zoning into their cell phones didn't help with the motion sicknes

I find this
"'Pilots were on the verge of throwing up,' the report read"
hard to believe

I saw the text of the PIREP and it included that.

Personally I've never been on the verge of throwing up while flying and I've been in some really rotten stuff, but everybody's different.

Once flew from KFAY to KATL with a full flight. Wasn't even bumpy, but there were 4-5 passengers that barfed.

One commercial flight I was on, it was 120 minutes of some of the worse turbulence I have ever experienced. The flight attendants not allowed out of their seats until the last 5 minutes of the flight. I didn't get sick personally, but I was sick of the beating we were taking, and there were a lot of green people on that plane. Absolutely terrible flight.

When I nonreved home a couple times someone puked a row or two ahead of me. Hate that smell, almost causes me to spew.

Last edited:
When I nonreved home a couple times someone puked a row two ahead of me. Hate that smell, almost causes me to spew.
Yeah I can't imagine what the cabin must've smelled like...on second thought, I'm glad I can't imagine it!

IAD UUA /OV KIAD/TM 1238/FL040/TP CRJ2/TB MOD-SEV/RM VERY BUMPY ON DESCENT. PRETTY MUCH EVERY ONE ON THE PLANE THREW UP. PILOTS WERE ON THE VERGE OF THROWING UP. AWC-WEB

My friend Augusto sailed into Sand Diego harbor from Chile. He was telling me about sailing down there. One of the crew was a crusty old guy who made fun of those who succumbed. Apparently they got into such a bad squall on the way to the Galapagos that even he needed the bucket.

I'll bet a ride with the Blues or the T-birds would have most of us spewing in no time. Either that or passing out.

Almost lost my lunch after an especially harrowing ride in an Edge 540. I grayed out, but didn't pass out completely with 11g (momentary, not sustained). Don't care to repeat that experience again!:eek::eek:

I too thought the PIREP of even the pilots on the verge of puking being a little over the top. I guess we've got to consider that if a large # of people on the flight were puking the odor in the entire plane must have been pretty unpleasant... That alone would stimulate more nausea even from those people (thinking of the pilots here) that could handle the turbulence.

I flew once, with an instructor, in a C150 in pretty crazy post-cold front passage winds (for a C150) at New Bedford, MA. Something like 20G30, mostly down the runway, IIRC. Did pattern work for about 20 minutes and was about ready to toss my cookies. CFI must have had an iron stomach to tolerate that ride.

Jeff

I too thought the PIREP of even the pilots on the verge of puking being a little over the top. I guess we've got to consider that if a large # of people on the flight were puking the odor in the entire plane must have been pretty unpleasant... That alone would stimulate more nausea even from those people (thinking of the pilots here) that could handle the turbulence.

Yeah a lot of the air in the cabin is recirculated and it runs through the cockpit too, oh wait, flight deck.

I gauge the success of my flights on how many folks did not barf while in the air... or on the ground.......

Some 40 years ago, just after receiving my PPL, I took a good friend and his young daughter up for a nice, peaceful ride around the the area. Thermals were active and so was the "light chop". Young girl barf all over the rental Cessna. I now pack a gallon zip lock bag in my flight bag just in case a rider decides to lose their lunch.

Took my boys up in a glider on some "dynamic" soaring days...both ended up puking in my boonie hat after about 5 minutes. The sad thing is, I still use the hat :(

I now pack a gallon zip lock bag in my flight bag just in case a rider decides to lose their lunch
I've often wondered if I should do the same... not a bad idea to have around just in case

I was giving friends a ride in a 172 rental. Front seat passenger got sick and ignored the barf bag I gave him. His solution was to puke out the window. It was like a vomit tornado in the cabin. The poor kid in the back seat had puke all over him. When we got on the ground he took off the headset and there was a perfect negative of a DC headset on his head from the puke. There were even chunks of honey Bunn on my knee board. It was vile.

The airplane was a ramp dweller. No amount of cleaning would get the smell out. It turned into a vomit magnet for the rest of the summer. By fall the airplane was given a new interior and the owner pulled it off lease back. Can’t blame him....

Here's another one from today, from Asheville, NC. Wasn't me.

AVL UUA /OV AVL170002/TM 1720/FL001/TP CRJ9/WV +15–20KTS/RM LIKE A BULL RIDE

Clear and a million today in the Carolinas too. I thought about flying but saw some reports like this...

I now pack a gallon zip lock bag in my flight bag just in case a rider decides to lose their lunch.

I carry a couple 13 gallon trash bags along several medline emesis bags... aka the horse condom.

4707_dynarex_blue_emesis_bags_grande.jpeg

Measures contents in ounces, CC and ML...... just in case you are interested. http://www.liveactionsafety.com/medline-emesis-bags-blue/

Try being in a very hot C-130 in the middle of a North Carolina summer with 64 paratroopers and the Air Force wants to fly a combat approach, essentially nap of the earth and pop up to jump altitude. When one paratrooper gets sick, all get sick. Used to be SOP to kick the barf bags out the door once the Loadmaster opened it and turned it over to the Primary Jumpmaster. For some reason we were no longer allowed to do that so we had to fly around with lots of full puke bags. Good times.

My friend Augusto sailed into Sand Diego harbor from Chile. He was telling me about sailing down there. One of the crew was a crusty old guy who made fun of those who succumbed. Apparently they got into such a bad squall on the way to the Galapagos that even he needed the bucket.

Worst situation I experienced was also while sailing. Was close hauled trying to beat out of a harbour into a stiff onshore wind on an ebb tide. Swells going one direction, chop in another. Creates an uncomfortable hull motion that was not a problem topside where one can see the horizon, but when I went below deck to grab another beer that was no fun. Instant severe nausea unlike anything I have ever experienced in any plane or any other sailing condition, other than when I am hungover at breakfast.

Used to be SOP to kick the barf bags out the door once the Loadmaster opened it and turned it over to the Primary Jumpmaster. For some reason we were no longer allowed to do that so we had to fly around with lots of full puke bags. Good times.

Probably the rancher who was bombed by 60 barf bags called. LOL.

Clear and a million today in the Carolinas too. I thought about flying but saw some reports like this...

Yeah, but those winds probably kept some folks from just climbing in the plane and going flying without checking for things like... oh... the big TFR casting a shadow over the area. A nice sunny day after several rainy days tend to get folks excited and they might just takeoff for some local flying or pattern work without paying attention to such things. The wind might have saved some bacon yesterday.

There was one yesterday with the remarks "like Mr. Toad's wild ride"

It was insanely rough yesterday according to my friends. One even said his FO broke one of his shoulder harness reels.

GoJet 900 almost broke its main gear and struck its wing tip in RDU after basically falling out of the sky.

http://wncn.com/2018/03/02/caught-on-video-jet-makes-rough-landing-at-rdu-during-high-winds/
I was talking to a buddy in Raleigh. He was driving out to the observation park at RDU to watch planes land in the wind and test his new ads-b build. I’ll hsve to call him and see if he observed the CRJ carrier landing. That looked rough.

You’d think after the first twenty pireps these airlines might have exercised all of that amazing pilot experience, and not subjected passengers to this stupidity?

Heh. Just a thought.

The trains must run on time. I know. ;)

Was on an Electra for a ski charter from Orange county to Oakland and then to South Lake Tahoe. Approach into Oakland was really rough then hadd to hold for almost an hour over Tahoe in severe turbulence. My wife and I and one Stewardess were the only ones on the airplane that didn't puke. The smell was horrible. Finally diverted to Reno.

I was talking to a buddy in Raleigh. He was driving out to the observation park at RDU to watch planes land in the wind and test his new ads-b build. I’ll hsve to call him and see if he observed the CRJ carrier landing. That looked rough.

Without being on the jump I'd say they pulled the power out a bit to soon with them already being slow. On a windy day like that, I'll carry some extra airspeed to give me enough energy to get to the runway. The 900 you HAVE to have the power out by 10' or your day will be a very bad one if you bounce. She'll land nicely if you carry a bit of energy and a smidge of rudder.

Without being on the jump I'd say they pulled the power out a bit to soon with them already being slow. On a windy day like that, I'll carry some extra airspeed to give me enough energy to get to the runway. The 900 you HAVE to have the power out by 10' or your day will be a very bad one if you bounce. She'll land nicely if you carry a bit of energy and a smidge of rudder.
What happens with the bounce that’s so bad.

You talking about rudder for cross wind?

If I had been on that flight, I'd have had to stick my head in the cockpit as we were deplaning and say "I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."

Back