Barf Air

If I had been on that flight, I'd have had to stick my head in the cockpit as we were deplaning and say "I just want to tell you both good luck. We're all counting on you."
Leslie Nielsen used to do that when he'd fly an airline.

What happens with the bounce that’s so bad.

You talking about rudder for cross wind?

In a CRJ-900 bouncing is bad and is grounds for a rejected landing. FAA says it so bad that you'll fail a Line Check, Checkride or an FAA En-route if you're not at idle by 10'.

The ground spoiler system uses a three strike logic to determine if it deploys:

Throttles at Flight Idle arms the system

Then 2 out of 3 of the following must be met:
Radar Altimeter under 10'
Wheel Spin
Weight on Wheels

So let's say you land with a touch of power and little flare to "help" with that crosswind. In that scenario you will likely bounce. Human reaction to bouncing is to instantly throw the throttles to idle. Well if you do that you've armed the spoilers and since you bounced you meet the above criteria. So the spoilers deploy across the entire wing while you're 10' off the ground and you instantly cease flying. You'll unceremoniously smack back upon the Earth shortly afterwords.

The spoilers are so well designed that they will stop a bounce from happening IF and only IF the power is idle at touchdown.

My technique is to start pulling power out at 40/50' and be it at idle by 20/30'. Flaring at the same time I'm pulling the power.

True confessions time. When I was in flight training I lived about 30 minutes from the airport the weather was crap at home so went out for a BIG breakfast with the wife. Then got a call from the instructor saying it was great there and to get down there ASAP. So I did. We did S-turns, a BUNCH of hood work including unusual attitudes. Finally we stopped and I was not feeling well. I must have looked green because the instructor said are you OK. I said just a little queasy but turned up the vent I will be fine.

The instructor then made the fatal error about 5 minutes from the airport asking me if I wanted a bag. I said no........yes! He handed it to me I filled it, sealed it up and said I got the airplane. Made a pretty nice landing too. :)

Back