Bahamas. Totally.

whereisrandall

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Randall Williams
Just back from a (C172) trip over to the Abacos (the northern Bahamas.) Sweet and do-able VFR flying, with lots of fun going to tiny little spots with loooong strips (Moore's Island, Sandy Point.) We also landed at Marsh Harbour, Treasure Key, and Freeport. West End wants a $200+ landing fee, and there are a few more strips that are marked private, thought they may not be that in practice. In more than one spot, we walked off the end of the strip and set up a tent on a beach by ourselves.

The short version: in our 172, lots of altitude over water gave us about 15 minutes beyond power-off glide for the crossing to Grand Bahama from KPBI. We wore life jackets (as required) with a handheld VHF, though most don't.

The islands are gorgeous and the people are fantastic. They put out a guide for private pilots here: http://www.bahamas.com/private-flying.

Freeport approach/tower will coordinate arrivals into Freeport, despite not having radar. Marsh Harbour was biiiizy when we went - 122.8 for self reporting with a healthy dose of see-and-avoid.

I was inspired by a few folks who do lots of Caribbean island flying - I'm skittish about long over-water flights, but this was a good start. HIGHLY recommended.

greenturtle+aireal.jpg

Nice sat photo.
oh- wait, that was you reaally high!
Hope to try it someday.

Nice picture ,love flying the Bahamas.

Excellent photos!!

I just returned from the far SE Bahamas (Mayaguana and Great Inagua) last week, where I ventured where few Bahamains have ever been, let alone outsiders, and visited an amazing beach almost 60 NM from civilization!

I'll post an entire trip report with photos and video in the coming weeks as soon as I edit the massive amount of video.

r u required to wear life jackets or just have them? I really wanna do a bahamas trip, just have to wait for the right rental (or ownership?!?) opportunity.

r u required to wear life jackets or just have them? I really wanna do a bahamas trip, just have to wait for the right rental (or ownership?!?) opportunity.

As I understand it, the way 91.205 is written you just need them on-board, but that applies to for hire flights and if the flight is 121 you also need a pyrotechnic signaling device (flare). Though, I think wearing them is a great idea as you don't have to go finding them if you do have an incident. Might make the plane a bit more "cozy".

Nice picture though @whereisrandall !

Last edited:
Very nice picture. We have planned a Bahamas trip this year with our C172 as well. Tous pic is a nice teaser to getting it on the top of the list... :)

Excellent photos!!

I just returned from the far SE Bahamas (Mayaguana and Great Inagua) last week, where I ventured where few Bahamains have ever been, let alone outsiders, and visited an amazing beach almost 60 NM from civilization!

I'll post an entire trip report with photos and video in the coming weeks as soon as I edit the massive amount of video.

How was Great Inagua as a port of entry and how's the 100LL availability situation down there? I'm assuming cash only? I've been doing some research and my Arrow II doesn't have the legs to do FL-PR non-stop, so I'm looking for one-stop options (to avoid the overflight fees) other than Provo (I hear stupid $$$$ for a fuel stop). Inagua would work, but I hear fuel availability is a huge gamble.

As I understand it, the way 91.205 is written you just need them on-board, but that applies to for hire flights and if the flight is 121 you also need a pyrotechnic signaling device (flare). Though, I think wearing them is a great idea as you don't have to go finding them if you do have an incident. Might make the plane a bit more "cozy".

Nice picture though @whereisrandall !
But even if you did wear them, you certainly would not have them inflated...

I'm interested in the 100ll fuel situation as well.

When researching my wish trip I only found 2 airports with fuel which means if fly from FL to port of entry, refuel, and straight to staniel cay with not much room to explore other airports like you did.

Did you pay the $200 fee?

All cash only?

How was Great Inagua as a port of entry and how's the 100LL availability situation down there? I'm assuming cash only? I've been doing some research and my Arrow II doesn't have the legs to do FL-PR non-stop, so I'm looking for one-stop options (to avoid the overflight fees) other than Provo (I hear stupid $$$$ for a fuel stop). Inagua would work, but I hear fuel availability is a huge gamble.

I actually cleared customs in Nassau (of all places) since I'd made arrangements to meet up with a member on the Tripadvisor Forum there. Surprisingly, clearing customs in Nassau was as painless as its been in Great Harbor Cay or North Eleuthera.

Avgas has been very reliable for me in Great Inagua, but it is cash only. That being said, I'd still call ahead just to be sure. Also, if possible, try to avoid refueling after 2 PM or on anytime on Sundays since they will hit you with a $40 fee.

Here is a tease photo of that beach that is 11 miles from the nearest road, and 65 miles from the nearest town, on the northern end of Great Inagua's east shore!

In my opinion, this is the Bahamas equivalent of Camp 4 on the South Col of Everest at 26,000 ftThe Bend Inagua.JPG !!

Here is a tease photo of that beach that is 11 miles from the nearest road....

is that...........a picture of an actual picture? meaning did you take "one of those things we used to put into photo albums" and take a phone pic of that pic? cause man those are some big a$$ pixels

is that...........a picture of an actual picture? meaning did you take "one of those things we used to put into photo albums" and take a phone pic of that pic? cause man those are some big a$$ pixels

haha! Yes I did that. I was too lazy to figure out how to work my new phone.

Don't worry, the actual photo was taken in 10 megapixels, and RAW!

No $200 fee was paid, rest assured. :) and @beestforwardspeed - please do post your pictures.

Re: life jackets, you want to wear 'em. Much of the inter-island flying is low level due to cloud cover and no ifr approaches. If the engine quits, you're out of options, no radar coverage, and there are very few boats. I kept my marine VHF on my pfd, it's the best hope.

Highly encourage flying there, it's ridiculously beautiful.

No $200 fee was paid, rest assured. :) and @beestforwardspeed - please do post your pictures.

Re: life jackets, you want to wear 'em. Much of the inter-island flying is low level due to cloud cover and no ifr approaches. If the engine quits, you're out of options, no radar coverage, and there are very few boats. I kept my marine VHF on my pfd, it's the best hope.

Highly encourage flying there, it's ridiculously beautiful.

Ohhhhh..........don't you worry! Not only will I post a ton of photos, I'll also be posting a TON of full HD video from my two treks on Mayaguana's eastern north shore (Long Bay) as well as the northern part of Great Inagua's East shore.

These are the Bahamas equivalent of Denali and Everest respectively IMHO, but almost unknown to the outside world unlike those 2 mountains!!

Ohhhhh..........don't you worry! Not only will I post a ton of photos, I'll also be posting a TON of full HD video from my two treks on Mayaguana's eastern north shore (Long Bay) as well as the northern part of Great Inagua's East shore.

These are the Bahamas equivalent of Denali and Everest respectively IMHO, but almost unknown to the outside world unlike those 2 mountains!!

We're still waiting...:eek::eek::eek:

Yeah, waiting! Fer realz, post some sht already.

I'm headed over to the islands on Friday out of KHWO and returning on Sunday. Looking to hit as many islands as possible!

I'm headed over to the islands on Friday out of KHWO and returning on Sunday. Looking to hit as many islands as possible!
I'll be there by boat as soon as the N wind calms down, we're in Stuart waiting for a 12-hr weather window. West End is first stop.

I just ordered my customs sticker :)
How much were the fees at Freeport?

The trip to the Bahamas was awesome. I am currently working my way through the footage from the five GoPro cameras I had mounted on the plane. I will post a link to the video once it is finished. In the meantime, here are some pictures to hold you over. Start planning your trip now and go make it happen! You won't regret it. IMG_3050.jpg IMG_3051.jpg IMG_2920.jpg IMG_3053.jpg

Back