Baffle material?

comancheflyer30

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Dsc45shooter
Ok so there seems to be 101 flavors of baffle material out there. 3/32 or 1/8? I mean seriously why are there so many? I figure it will take 10’ to redo a 172. Any suggestions? I saw the new cowl saver stuff but it said not pma approved?

Baffles or baffle seals?

I measured baffle seals then bought standard stuff from Spruce when I did mine. And also found one small baffle segment missing from rear of engine. A&P fabricated a new piece.

Last edited:
make sure your A&P is ok with it....but, ya, no PMA is needed...unless you are buying a "replacement" kit or part.

I do not like the pure silicon baffle seal material as it will rip easily around the rivets. Get the fiberglass reinforced silicone seal material. Much better. Also get 6 feet more than you think you will need because you will need it. Gonna screw up at least one piece , also going around the curves will take more than you estimate. I have replaced the seals on two 172's in the last year and both came out well but it takes more time and effort than you might think to do it well. Dont forget the bag of 100 rivts. Getting those darn staples out is a real pain in the butt.

Who's going to sign it off? That's the person that needs to decide what to use.

Back