Bad ADM in Children’s airplane books/media

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
So as a pilot who has a young child people send us airplane related kids books and movies. Also, as fellow parents know we get subjected to these things over and over again. As you do, as a pilot you spot the problems…. from tonight’s book(one of his favorites).

E9559BF1-4AA9-4A6C-BE4C-2BD804ED2E51.jpeg

Now, I don’t know much about v-tail bonanzas but that load out looks like the beginning of an air safety institute video to me…

Here's my favorite, it's from a cartoon called "super wings". I wish I could find the whole episode linkable on youtube but here's a timecode in a compilation video in which the main character "Jet" who is a cargo plane that delivers packages then goes off-script and gets involved with the customer's lives ticks just about every disaster box. After making his delivery and inviting himself to eat dinner with this family, he creates his own mission to deliver food to Antarctica. I am fairly sure he does no pre-flight planning and does not get a briefing. He then proceeds to fly VFR into IMC in icing conditions and crash. Classic.

Ok, the timecode link didn't work, fast forward to about 15:30

Yea, I see the problem. No one is wearing shoulder harnesses.

Don't know about the Bonanza, but there's another plane that's had the misfortune of getting stuck in the foliage of a palm tree.

So as a pilot who has a young child people send us airplane related kids books and movies. Also, as fellow parents know we get subjected to these things over and over again. As you do, as a pilot you spot the problems…. from tonight’s book(one of his favorites).

View attachment 116103

Now, I don’t know much about v-tail bonanzas but that load out looks like the beginning of an air safety institute video to me…
Sea level operations, so no worry about density altitude.

My son loves “The Little Airplane” by Lois Lenski. Pilot Small’s mechanic fuels the plane for him and helps him move the airplane in and out of the hangar. Can’t have my son expecting that level of service :).

Assuming this is a Cessna 180, judging by the the (real) tail number written on it... I'm guessing the next frame goes something like:
Father: "Alrighty, Ann, now we just give the starter a good crank and.... ENGINE FIRE!!!!"
Well I suppose that explains the 1.5 gallon fuel bill.

Taking on Zeros with a Flying Flea has to be pretty close.
combat flea pages fixed.jpg
Ron Wanttaja

Here’s one for you…
It looks fairly representative of a couple places some of us have flown, except the line guy is too clean and he hasn't dragged the hose up the opposite side and scraped the crap out of the cowl.

Nauga,
who wonders if it's "down in flames" or "up in flames"?

Personally, I like this one.

View attachment 116139

"Unfortunately father and Ann suffered an engine fire immediately after takeoff and crashed into the trees past runway 14.

The search continues for the man who was posing as ground crew.

The FBO also determined that he had accessed the pilot's lounge hours earlier and had switched the regular and decaf coffee."

The engine has been using a bit more oil than usual so they had the oil truck fill up the engine...

(never mind the GASOLINE printed on the bumper...)
I think it's great to see GA in so many kids books to normalize it.

I think on this one, they were just out of MMO for the crankcase so used gasoline to remove the varnish.

From that same book. We’re doing acro with no parachutes and a dog onboard. Also with people who do have parachutes in the vicinity.

0E6AB869-8FC0-45E2-86EF-0A06C698EECE.jpeg DD1C3081-829D-4231-A156-862D4551D7A1.jpeg

Back