Aviation vs wife? pros and cons please.

Going on 3 years of marriage...20 years of knowing him. We actually enjoy sharing PIC time. Couldn't have done the Jacksonville trip on my own very easily.

The OP hasn't explained why this is a one or the other thing. :confused:

My husband doesn't like flying (odd considering his job) but that doesn't affect how often I do it. At all.

just asking for people's toughts about how they cope with flying and Significant Other. I am pretty much stoked I am marrying her and she has always motivated and supported me to be better in anything I do. The only concern she has about me flying is getting on a wreck, but for me if I am going to die I rather do it on a plane, saving someone, like a true gentleman.

Hmmm... the words "cope" and "pretty much stoked" strike me as red flags that bear further introspection.

17 years here. Or 16. Or whatever. I have to go read the little embroidery thingy in the upstairs bedroom for the anniversary date. (I will pay closer attention during year 20... probably oughta throw a party or something. Hahahahaha.)

Found our old pre-marriage counseling paperwork in a drawer a few months ago. (seriously? Why the hell did we keep THAT?)

Want a copy? Heh heh. Good questions in there. Heh.

I extracted her consent to plane ownership BEFORE I gave her the ring. We were in a Cessna 182 at the time. With that agreement, she got the ring....almost 26 years ago. She prefers to travel by small plane...as long as the legs are kept around three hours.

My boyfriend and I started training on the same day. I took my ride on 6/6/12, he took his about 18 hours later on 6/7/12. I think it's great being able to share PIC time (well right now we are safety piloting for each other so we both get PIC!) share expenses with the airplane and share the love of traveling. It really is so much fun to do the things you love with your best friend. I don't think that I would want to be in a relationship with someone who didn't agree with my flying or lifestyle. We still have our own hobbies and friends outside of flying, and even different goals with our flying (he's like to fly aeorbatics, I'd like to fly our own corporate jet someday... A girl can dream) which keeps things fun.

Put some avgas in a small fuel proof container in your car. Then, you can dab a little on your clothes to cover the smell of the purfume from that girl you met in the bar.

Put some avgas in a small fuel proof container in your car. Then, you can dab a little on your clothes to cover the smell of the purfume from that girl you met in the bar.

That's pretty close to the old joke about the guy who comes home, smelling of perfume, then confesses to his wife that he's having an affair. His wife says, "Don't lie to me!! You were out flying again, weren't you?!?!"

Whenever I get complaints from my wife about my hobbies, I ask her whether she prefers me coming home smelling like :
-avgas and motor oil
or
-booze and perfume.

Married 1.5 years, been sharing financial responsibility for 6 years. My wife and I have an agreement when one of us starts a new hobby: All the other wants to know is "Can you still pay the bills?" If they answer is yes, then have at it.

She has encouraged me in my flying and is eager to join me once I complete my training. :D

Best of luck to the OP.

They don't change in my experience. If she dislikes it today, she will dislike it 10 or 20 years from now.

This.

On the first page, I said run in a halfway joking manner. If your future wife has issues with flying now, she always will.

Aviation doesn't cause issues in marriage. But it is money and time intensive enough that if there are issues, it brings them to the forefront. Or sometimes provides a common ground issue.

In all seriousness - if she doesn't share your passion, then make sure she understands that you aren't changing. And make sure that YOU understand that her opinions WILL impact your flying. It's going to happen.

Last edited:
I think it may have been Gordon Baxter who had a signature line something like "My first wife didn't like flying either"

17 years here. Or 16. Or whatever. I have to go read the little embroidery thingy in the upstairs bedroom for the anniversary date.

That's how I remember too!!! Ours hangs over our bed.

My wife was griping the other day that she didn't like flying single engine IFR. I'm not sure if she was opening the door for a twin or she didn't want to go IFR anymore.

My wife was griping the other day that she didn't like flying single engine IFR. I'm not sure if she was opening the door for a twin or she didn't want to go IFR anymore.

I believe you said she was a pilot but not instrument rated... maybe she just wants to sit left seat more often.

Twin. Buy one now before she has a chance to clarify her statement. ;)

Twin. Buy one now before she has a chance to clarify her statement. ;)

That's right. And when she gets mad, just explain how you remembered her comment about single engine IFR and were just trying to be considerate. Great plan.

Now that I am engaged and getting married in June. I will have to put off some of my flying in lieu of my future wife.

Any recomendations? She doesn't even like how I drive my car.:hairraise::hairraise: I might have to force her into a small plane. LOL LOL LOL LOL I am happy, nevertheless!

May as well give up on flying then unless you have a job for it.

All I'll say is that your partners in life need to, at a minimum, respect the things you're passionate about and give you the freedom to pursue them.

Having them share your passions is a bonus.

Late to this thread and post, but AMEN Tim.....not that easy however~

My daughter will get in the plane and fly anywhere, my wife, noway, nohow. I've tried many different approaches (no pun intended) to no avail.

It DOES create a strain on a relationship: we've been married 31 years. Yes, over the years, she has had her interests, I, mine, and we do many other things together. BUT flying and owning the aircraft do take a pretty big chunk out of our non-work time, and it means that we, by definition, do separate activites, since she won't fly.

My best advice is to be sure that you and your significant other talk about how this hobby is going to affect your relationship if the non-pilot member of your team won't fly with you.

You don't want to come down with a case of AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome).

Last edited:
That's how I remember too!!! Ours hangs over our bed.

What was funnier was when my wife figured it out that was one of the only reasons I ever go in that room. She's basically got that room in lieu of a walk-in closet, with all of her barbershop quartet costumes on racks in there and what-not.

She's a sweetheart, she promised never to take it down. Haha.

For Steingar, I'm thinking Sharpie... On the back of the frame, in something easier to read. ;)

My wife had her pilot certificate and we owned an aircraft together before we actually tied the knot. The only problem is she expects to fly half the legs...or her new trick since I got my instrument rating is that she flies all the legs in good weather because I can fly when the weather is crappy.

Is there a problem with that? :wink2:

OK, this thread is just screaming for this:

10 reasons an airplane is better than a woman:

1. You can tie up your airplane and leave it when you're not using it.
2. Your airplane won't care if you rent another, higher performance and/or younger model.
3. You can upgrade an airplane's equipment.
4. Your airplane can have multiple owners.
5. Your airplane can be operated by two people at once.
6. Instruction is available for airplanes. Even using other people's airplanes.
7. You know how your airplane responds to control inputs.
8. Your airplane comes with squelch and isolate controls, to keep the noise down.
9. You're supposed to give your airplane a close and critical inspection before every use.
10. Flaps are a good thing for airplanes.

I'm sure there are a ton more, but I think I'll take cover from all the flying vegetables coming my way.

[Of course it's all in fun. :) ]

Last edited:
As a guy with a uniquely wonderful, long-term (27+ years) marriage to my best friend, business partner, mother of my children, and co-pilot, I believe I can offer a few words of advice on marriage:

1. Be friends -- best friends -- not just lovers.

2. Be persistent, but cautious. I knew Mary was for me pretty much at first sight. Nevertheless, we dated for nine years, broke up for one year, and lived together for two years before tying the knot, simply because literally everyone we knew was divorced.

3. Share everything. Although I'm not much interested in sewing, I enjoy new technology and am helping her buy a new sewing machine. On the other hand, she wasn't thrilled with shooting, but now owns a handgun and enjoys going to the range with me.

We motorcycle together, fly together, run businesses together. We share as much as we can.

4. Most importantly, it's gotta be "You and me against the world". Always be a team, whether it's in child rearing or cockpit resource management -- and let NOTHING COME BETWEEN YOU.

I remember the first time one of our kids tried to play "divide and conquer" with us, after seeing their friends do this repeatedly (and successfully) with their parents. It was a defining moment in our marriage, when we decided that no one, not even out kids, could separate us.

If your gal isn't on board with sharing your love of flying, you are not yet a team. Not that others haven't forged successful marriages without sharing everything, but that's what has worked for us, and I would proceed with caution.

Sent from my Nexus 7

As a guy with a uniquely wonderful, long-term (27+ years) marriage to my best friend, business partner, mother of my children, and co-pilot, I believe I can offer a few words of advice on marriage:

1. Be friends -- best friends -- not just lovers.

2. Be persistent, but cautious. I knew Mary was for me pretty much at first sight. Nevertheless, we dated for nine years, broke up for one year, and lived together for two years before tying the knot, simply because literally everyone we knew was divorced.

3. Share everything. Although I'm not much interested in sewing, I enjoy new technology and am helping her buy a new sewing machine. On the other hand, she wasn't thrilled with shooting, but now owns a handgun and enjoys going to the range with me.

We motorcycle together, fly together, run businesses together. We share as much as we can.

4. Most importantly, it's gotta be "You and me against the world". Always be a team, whether it's in child rearing or cockpit resource management -- and let NOTHING COME BETWEEN YOU.

I remember the first time one of our kids tried to play "divide and conquer" with us, after seeing their friends do this repeatedly (and successfully) with their parents. It was a defining moment in our marriage, when we decided that no one, not even out kids, could separate us.

If your gal isn't on board with sharing your love of flying, you are not yet a team. Not that others haven't forged successful marriages without sharing everything, but that's what has worked for us, and I would proceed with caution.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I spent the better part of a week with these two. They are a team and I told them so! I was so happy to meet a married couple that gets along. My parents, and everyone I know (and their parents too) - all divorced. Hooray for Jay and Mary.

I spent the better part of a week with these two. They are a team and I told them so! I was so happy to meet a married couple that gets along. My parents, and everyone I know (and their parents too) - all divorced. Hooray for Jay and Mary.

Thanks, Kim. It was the same in our families. Except for my parents, everyone was divorced!

But don't give up on marriage. Mary and I aren't that rare, really -- it's just a matter of finding the right person, and approaching marriage as a lifelong commitment.

With all the airports you visit, finding the right guy shouldn't be too hard. Just look for the big watch and the King Air. :D

Sent from my Nexus 7

Not divorced...a widower...my former wife didn't like to fly at all but when I mentioned that I wanted to buy a plane and learn to fly, she said. "If you are going to buy a plane, buy a John Deere, not a Murray."

I do miss that woman. :yes:

Sorry for your loss. at least on a plane you get closer to heaven.

I only fly occasionally but my wife stresses out when I do because it's an unnecessary risk in her eyes (yes, i've told her I'm in more danger during my daily commute to work).

Back