Aviation vs wife? pros and cons please.

cirrusmx, the ONLY trump you have in your hand is that you are already a pilot. It's a pretty good bet that she is thinking she can "Marry the man today and save the fist, for after" (Guys'N Dolls).

"But Honey, you knew I was a pilot when we got married!"

I only fly occasionally but my wife stresses out when I do because it's an unnecessary risk in her eyes (yes, i've told her I'm in more danger during my daily commute to work).

What is her specific worry? If it's that if you get injured or killed flying, she and kids aren't adequately taken care of, that's a legitimate concern.

Term Life insurance and/or AD&D insurance, with no anti-aviation clauses, is available in quantities high enough she'd be a kept woman and the kids could go to college, for relatively reasonable prices.

You can take your risks as you see fit, and still mitigate the risks fairly well -- other than that whole, you're dead thing -- for the rest of the family.

When I was looking for my wife, I had a rule that under no circumstances could "she" (unknown to me at the time) object to my "dangerous" activities.

When I met my wife, I was (and still am to a degree) an avid sportbike rider. She was tested with the question. She didn't blink. She passed.

She knew I had thoughts on pursuing a PPL. She encouraged it. She passed.

Daily, I grow more thankful for having her in my life. Not because she "tolerates" my advocations, but because she makes me appreciate them more. And when I am not flying or riding, I am 100% in the moment with her.

I met a scorned lady recently. I asked about how she liked 'her' new airplane. She affirmed owning 50% of it, folowed closely that the airplane is the reason she's getting divorced....that and his new girlfriend (I suspect the airplane gives him 'access' to the girlfriend).

So yes, airplanes can break up a marriage.

Do not confuse marriage with wedding. Weddings are easy, marriages are built over time. Start on the right foot.

Back