Aviation vs wife? pros and cons please.

cirrusmx

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
campoalavista
Now that I am engaged and getting married in June. I will have to put off some of my flying in lieu of my future wife.

Any recomendations? She doesn't even like how I drive my car.:hairraise::hairraise: I might have to force her into a small plane. LOL LOL LOL LOL I am happy, nevertheless!

well apparently flying isn't a requirement for you to live a happy life then

If she doesn't like how you drive, you've got problems already. Best of luck.

Now that I am engaged and getting married in June. I will have to put off some of my flying in lieu of my future wife.

Any recomendations? She doesn't even like how I drive my car.:hairraise::hairraise: I might have to force her into a small plane. LOL LOL LOL LOL I am happy, nevertheless!

Wondering how you're going to force her into a small plane... :yikes:

(PS don't do that :D )

All I'll say is that your partners in life need to, at a minimum, respect the things you're passionate about and give you the freedom to pursue them.

Having them share your passions is a bonus.

I'm not real sure that's a problem. What a perfect excuse to leave her at home!

she respects and supports everything I like to do, other than driving and flying, maybe a few others I forgot to mention, but climbing into a small plane is another business.

FTFY;)

You already lost bro. Despite what she says, even if she doesn't like flying, she'll love you less when you quit for her. Man up or eject.

All I'll say is that your partners in life need to, at a minimum, respect the things you're passionate about and give you the freedom to pursue them.

Having them share your passions is a bonus.

This....

Very important. My GF isn't fond of flying, but enjoys going places, and more importantly, understands how much I enjoy it, and she supports it, and it's expense. Same thing with my firearm habit, though she doesn't ask if we can go shooting together, unlike flying; she still supports me with it because I enjoy it.

Make sure you have this support, otherwise, you'll regret something (her, not doing x because if her, etc) and it'll not be pretty down the road.

I'm a crappy driver as well, my lady friend loves pointing out to other friends how she hates riding in a car when I'm driving, but she loves flying with me, claims I'm a much better pilot than I am a driver.

You do have a serious problem though, I think once the temporary blindness of love starts clearing up, it will become more apparent to you.

I think all anyone can do at this point is congratulate you and wish you well.

-John

My wife had her pilot certificate and we owned an aircraft together before we actually tied the knot. The only problem is she expects to fly half the legs...or her new trick since I got my instrument rating is that she flies all the legs in good weather because I can fly when the weather is crappy.

Okay, so all joking aside, this is my experience in that department:

My wife is not a fan of flying for a number of reasons, including that she had bought in to the whole media fascination with small plane accidents. So she feared for my safety. By the way, she also doesn't like the way I drive. :rofl:

Anyway, when I decided that I wanted to fly, I first established that I had the time and funds to do it without causing any issues with family responsibilities (obviously they come first). Then I sat her down and explaining how important is was to me to fly, and that while I wanted her approval that I was fully intending on doing it. I laid out what the cost and time committments were, and also had all my statistics with me to argue against any preconceived ideas she may have about it. I had also established that my life insurance would be unaffected by starting flying. So I was ready. The conversation went well, and she was happy for me to be achieving a life goal.

So in summary, just be honest, tell her how much it means to you. Be ready to refute any incorrect views she may have with flying small planes.

Good luck.

You, sir, are clearly over-matched. No further testimony is required. Case dismissed, Court is hereby adjourned.

My wife had her pilot certificate and we owned an aircraft together before we actually tied the knot. The only problem is she expects to fly half the legs...or her new trick since I got my instrument rating is that she flies all the legs in good weather because I can fly when the weather is crappy.

I met my wife through a mutual acquaintance after I was in the game already. She thought what I did was glamorous until she began to understand what was actuality as compared to media hype. I had just bought a 182 and took her on a trip to New Orleans one weekend, ( I was stationed in Corpus Christi ), and while the weather was marginal she immediately recognized the utility and had a great time. After that there was no looking back.

If your intended doesn't accept aviation, maybe your second wife will.

I ran some numbers a few months ago and realized that a kid costs about the same per year as a small plane. So I went ahead and told the gf that we will have one less kid than what we can afford. she understood!!!

Why ? Did you get roped into financing a big wedding ? A marriage should increase your financial strength, not weaken it.

Kids are a different story, but marriage shouldn't be a reason not to fly.

And when she changes her mind the only explanation she will feel compelled to offer is "well, it was different back then."

I ran some numbers a few months ago and realized that a kid costs about the same per year as a small plane. So I went ahead and told the gf that we will have one less kid than what we can afford. she understood!!!

I love reading these occasional threads ... reminds me of how fortunate I am to love being single. :)

I married a woman who's a better pilot than me and fully supportive of our aircraft situation. I love being married. :)

A buddy of mine knows when it's time to spend more time at home - When his wife starts to comment about him spending too much time with his mistress (his plane) he knows..

Often these are control issues. I think you are being set up fo two minivans, and a set of shackles. Some spouses don't like things that take you away from their focus. Be very careful.

Did you come here for real advice or to just justify a marriage to someone who despises your hobby? How much do you really want to fly? If you can answer those questions to yourself honestly, they you'll have your answer.

Last edited:
We can't say for sure that aviation causes divorce but we can be fairly certain that divorce is one of the leading causes of aviation.

My wife was adamant about not flying when we were first married and starting a family. Now that the kid is gone and the house nearly paid for, she's working on her sport pilot rating and asking me to go up with her several times a week.

I wish the OP good luck. My husband had aviation in his blood since birth. His grandpa took him flying. While we were dating he was taking lessons...I didn't get it back then. But he took me for a flight and I was hooked and now have my own certificate. I can't imagine having my husband go off to "go punch holes in the sky" because then I'd find something else to do myself. I'd rethink it if I were you. (either the marriage or the flying)

Hah that's how my boyfriend and I are. Except we are both getting our IR (I'm doing mine on a more express program though). I get mad when he won't let me fly the legs I want :mad2: I get more mad when even though I'm in the left seat the line guys go straight to him and ask what his airplane needs... Our airplane is purple.. it's kind of girly..

How do you get through the dating process and just now find this out and are just now trying to make it work? Seems to me that this should have been discussed a little more when you were dating.

Hide the aviation receipts,keep them hidden at tax time also. Mine was cool with it until she saw the check carbons and totaled them up.
Jeez.. I only got 23 hours logged so far too! Not so funny how they can change their minds.

I just started dating someone who seemed interested in flying with me until her father convinced her how dangerous small planes are. He's an MD-80 captain and a former Air Force T-38 instructor so of course she gives him more credit on the topic than me. Oh well. No way am I going to stop flying, I just wish she would tag along.

I just started dating someone who seemed interested in flying with me until her father convinced her how dangerous small planes are. He's an MD-80 captain and a former Air Force T-38 instructor so of course she gives him more credit on the topic than me. Oh well. No way am I going to stop flying, I just wish she would tag along.

Sure he just didn't like you? :)

Back