Aviation goals/plans for 2008

What an excelent example you are!

As for me:

Mentor at least three new pilots: help three get some twin time.
Get rated/qualified/proficient in a King Air.
Meet up with more POAers and folks on the Beechlist and AvSig.

Trips: Wisconsin several times--stop to see POAers when possible. Colorado skiing at least once; hopefully more.
South Carolina family visits and look at deals.
San Diego--friends and deals;
Fly in Hawaii--rent while on vacation.
Orlando for SIMCOM and to see family. IPC mid year.
Gastons of course.
At least one more flight in a jet as PIC.

POA goals:
Disagree on the board with at least one authoritative source several times on how things should be done :eek:
Keep Tony and Tim snowed as to my ability to work with my rightseater :yes:
Find any issue with which I disagee with Diana (this will be one of my biggest challenges :goofy:
See Adam when he has his real name tag on (also tough).
Buzz Gastons with at least two other folks flying the P-Baron.
See Carol T. soon!
Find one Lance Fisher Post that is short and I fully understand!!
Find out Ken I has flown a plane that can go non-stop more than 300 miles!
Find out Jesse has checked his mail more than once in a week!
Sorry, many more goals and not enough time to get them all down!!
Find many new and exciting ice cream flavors.

Best,

Dave

Fixed.

I only have few for 2008.

* Buy another airplane
* Fly to Gastons this year instead of drive
* Get the acro ride Diana and I got smoked out of :D
* Start/Finish my CPL
* And fly to 6Y9

1. Finish tow plane training.
2. MAYBE do PPL Glider.
3. If 2, MAYBE Commercial Glider.
4. Figure out how to finish 2 and 3 with a kid in college and one coming up.

I only have few for 2008.
* Get the acro ride Diana and I got smoked out of :D
Gosh, Dean, I forgot we still need to go do some aerobatics! Next nice day, let's go! :yes:

That was a weird smoke thing we got into...never had that happen before. So many firsts out there to be had. :D

Finish my tailwheel, 2 wheel landings to go.
Take my A&P test
Complete the restore on the Cougar with STOL wings.

Diana I was very busy last summer and was not on the board much. How did your Grass strip trip go? I'll buy the book but I'd rather not wait.

Dan

1. Finish tow plane training.
2. MAYBE do PPL Glider.
3. If 2, MAYBE Commercial Glider.
4. Figure out how to finish 2 and 3 with a kid in college and one coming up.

Broad shoulders Greg; been there, done that.

Dad is #1 credit card.

Best,

Dave

Im going to try to get the ATP knocked out. 23 on April 7. More multi time i guess. Hopefully a 135 gig.

After looking through here, its time to update my list:

1) ATP - Single or Multi
2) Score a 135 job
3) Buy Diana's book
4) Continue to pepper PoA land with Chocolate Chip Cookies
5) Help Diana as needed with her CFI
6) Fly with Teller and not make him throw up (we had a great flight though!)
7) Get Chris his Commercial, CFI, Tow checkout, and help Rachel with her Private.
8) Convince Dave S and Lance Fisher that they need to be CFI's
9) Help Greg with Glider goals
10) Help Jesse with Instrument, Commercial, and CFI
11) Instruct as much as I can and still manage to pass classes
12) Graduate next December, and find a fun 'real' job that allows me to fly
13) Continue to fly long (or short) glider flights next summer.
14) Gastons and 6Y9, somehow.

Diana I was very busy last summer and was not on the board much. How did your Grass strip trip go? I'll buy the book but I'd rather not wait.

Dan
I had a good time, mostly, and spent time with some wonderful people and saw parts of America that I had never seen before and want to fly over and/or visit again. It sure gave me an appreciation of how beautiful our country is, and how much freedom we really have. It's hard to sum it up, really. Here is the thread about most of the trip:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13828

One of the neat things about the trip, is that my friends here on the forum were able to take the trip with me. And some of them had to put up with me along the way. :D

Here is a little video of some of my favorite, or significant photos.

http://www.areeda.com/flying/dr/TheTrip.wmv

B.A. is the most important, followed by
new job
ATP written

I achieved 3 out of my 4 goals for this year after I looked back at the 2007 list. Got the multi add-on, got the MEI, got more flying in, but miserably failed at flying to 50 CONUS Challenge airports...just didn't work out this year. I'm reasonably sure that I'll get these three for this year knocked out though.

Let's see....
- Get commercial ticket
- Have my first mentee pilot get his ticket
- buy a plane
- fly to Alaska
- Attend at least four PoA fly-in events
- Hit 500 hours (101.2 to go)
- Celebrate my 19th anniversary in May (Yeah!)
- Actually teach enough ground classes to maintain currency without a signoff
- edit Diana's book, or at least provide commentary on it prior to publication

The CGA doesn't require the IFR rating to fly for them?? Do you have a web page for them? What are their missions and requirements like?
Check the thread on Coast Guard Auxiliary for more info but YES, you can fly for the Auxiliary without an IFR; the missions may be limited, but you can still fly. I hope to do 125 this year, get my IFR, and get my next rating.

Hmmm...

1. Get my commercial
2. Shut up and buy a plane already!

Plus a bunch of smaller ones. :yes:

A great thread idea... and quite an amazing variety of goals. This MUST be revived at the end of 2008, to see how we all did! :yes:

My list is pretty ambitious, but I'll settle for achieving even one of these items by the end of the year:

1. Get back up there ASAP (haven't flown since October!! Arrggh!), most likely in a rented L-4.
2. Buy a plane, preferably a C-140.
3. Start/finish my IR, preferably in said plane (it can be done, I was surprised to discover... tricky finding one that's IFR-legal, but they fly much like a C-150, or so I'm told).
4. Remain IFR-proficient between getting the ticket and the end of the year (again, it's possible).
5. Fly to Airventure. In that airplane...
6. Get some stick time in my friend's Breezy.
7. Get some more stick time in his RV-4.
8. Take the advanced tailwheel course at Andover.
9. Take my dog flying.
10. Attend more EAA meetings.
11. Attend more fly-ins.
12. Buy a GPS.
13. Take at least one aerobatic ride (it's been too long).
14. at least one glider flight.

Since I'm only 10 hours into my Private, my goal is to get my private certificate and have 200 hours logged by the end of 2008. If possible, I'd like to go for 2 of the 3 following: complex, tailwheel, or high performance.

2009 may be the year of my IFR ticket.

- fly to Key West
- Gaston's again....YIPPEEEEE!!!
- Wings again
- make it to the other coast
- must make it to 6Y9
- sneak in some more glider time
- use my gift cert for multi time and see what I think
- think of other places the husband will enjoy by air so he doesn't notice $$$ flying out the door :D

1. Renew my medical in March
2. Finish my IR this summer
3. Find time to fly to EKO to visit my brother (hey, I can fly from OLM to EKO in less time than it takes to drive from OLM to PUW!)

Anything else is gravy.

Oh, and it would be great to meet some of you folks face to face, too.

Here are mine (in any order):
  1. Obtain a high performance and complex endorsement in my grandfather's Bonanza.
  2. Pass the Instrument, Instrument Ground Instructor, Flight Instructor Instrument, Advanced Ground Instructor, and Fundamentals of Instruction knowledge exams.
  3. Take a ride to the FDSO to add AGI and IGI to my 'ticket.
  4. Get some good aerobatic instruction.
  5. Hopefully make Gaston's 2008 if I find a ride or have enough cash to airline out.
That's about all! :D

• Use this wonderful aircraft I now own as a magic carpet ride to get my daughter home more often to her granparents (10hrs car ride each way, so we don't do the trip often), so they can all learn and love together. They're getting much older, and I really own them and my daugher the gift of time.
  • Hit 250pic so I can start some angel flights, really important, I feel the need to give back some of my blessings.
  • Now that I'm at a cool airport (3M3, Collegedale), try to hang at the airport more and get all of the good old stories and advice from all the cranky old geezers there :yes: Some really interesting cranky old fellers (and ladies) there.
  • Get my commercial
  • Hopefully go up to Chilhowee and get my glider transition
  • Try to get to more PoA events besides Gastons
  • Maybe try to CREATE another PoA event
  • Try to get my wife to fly more often...(she hasn't been in the Mooney yet)
  • Try to visit local southeast PoA'ers more often, maybe lunch runs
  • Try to get some aerobatic time
  • Try to get some more tailwheel time
  • In the rat race that sometimes is life, take some time to sit once in a while in peace, and reflect, and be thankful for good health and fortunes.

Try and get more than 1 PoAer south of Iowa to visit 6Y9 - not counting on it - evidently we're not "good enough" for the southern folks.

Ed, in all seriousness. And if this is a troll, and I bite, well, you got me.

Ed, it is all about timing. I know the holiday works well for you, your airport, and your town, but it is really hard for family folks to make the trip. Simply put, my family expects me to be around and us to do family things together on the holidays. I won't be getting any three day (or more) passes to go off on a holiday flight.

Also, my wife hardly flies GA, and the only way I do get her in the plane is to entice her with destinations she is interested in. New big cities, or new places at the beach, visiting old friends, etc., are things that might get her in the plane. Going off to camp runway side in the north woods visiting folks she's never met? Nothing personal, but good luck.

I know you won't move the date, as the extra day helps a lot of people make the trip, but the holiday will hurt some of us who otherwise would make the trip.

1. Stay Alive!
2. Keep my medical!

(a hot topic right this minute, as I am absolutely dying of a cold/flu)

3. Don't break nuttin!

ASES. Which I was trying to get last year but family illness destroyed that goal. In the scheme of things spending the time with my mom before she died beat the few hours I could have gotten in the seaplane so I am not bitter, but it is still on my list.

Tell me more about this... that's within range for me, could meet you some morning. Where do you go for pancakes in Ponca City (I presume you mean Oklahoma)?

Ponca City has a breakfast the first Saturday of each month, rain or shine, snow or ice. On a nice Saturday you'll see hundreds of airplanes there. On bad days folks still drive in. Breakfast is pretty good for a fly-in, and only costs about $4 as I remember it. I'll make several of them again this year.

What Chip said. :) When it gets closer to time I'll have to start a thread in the places to fly area. Maybe we can make a POA breakfast powow happen a time or 2 this year.

Finish my CFI and CFII
Fly to Canada this summer
Buy a plane

Ok, mine are miniscule compared to others

1- Get 150 hours PIC (Only need 102!)
2-Up my personal minimums on x-wind landings (I live in Kansas, no wind deflectors!)
3-Fly to Houston to visit Wife's sis and brother in law.
4-Survive my annual with $$$ left for flying
5-Go to Gastons, even if only for a day.
...and a lofty goal...
6-Figure out a way to fly with Wife to Oshkosh, without camping (she won't) and make her enjoy spending every waking hour looking at airplanes, airplane stuff, go to seminars, watch the airshow every day, etc. and staying for the whole week.:)

2-Up my personal minimums on x-wind landings (I live in Kansas, no wind deflectors!)
It seems like the further west you go in Kansas, the more true that is. :yes: I suppose that's why they put those wind turbines out by Beaumont. Those things sure are impressive to see, from the ground and from the air.

5-Go to Gastons, even if only for a day.
I look forward to meeting you at Gaston's. Be prepared to meet a lot of wonderful people. :)

And welcome to the forum. :yes:

6-Figure out a way to fly with Wife to Oshkosh, without camping (she won't) and make her enjoy spending every waking hour looking at airplanes, airplane stuff, go to seminars, watch the airshow every day, etc. and staying for the whole week.:)
Can't help you with the part about making her enjoy it, but it's easy to find lodging. I like renting rooms in people's houses. I fly into Appleton, rent a car, and then I have options when I tire of the unwashed masses. Plus, having a car makes you really popular among the campers who want a ride to Kodiak Jacks!

Plus, having a car makes you really popular among the campers who want a ride to Kodiak Jacks!
:yes: :D

Ken, you'd still be popular if all you had was a little kid's bike from the Goodwill store. :cheerswine:

Only if I took it to get ice in the rain...
What makes this so humorous is that it's the truth. :D Just ask Felix. Everybody works when they come to the campsite. (You are quite good at cleaning bugs. :yes: )

My goals are pretty aggressive.

1) Finish my PPL ASEL
2) Buy a plane
3) Get my AMEL
4) Fly to Gastons
5) Start on my IR (finish if possible)
6) Make a summer trip flying my plane to California and back while making stops along the way to visit people (hopefully with a new copilot). This will require at minimum 1 and 2 (or else 1 and get permission for taking the club plane for a few weeks...)
7) While in California, take my friend flying who told me the other day she always wanted to be a pilot, but has never been in a GA aircraft. Let her taste flight and get her hooked
8) Expose new people to flying, and encourage people to get their PPL (already doing that second bit)

We'll see how many of those happen. :)

Back