Aviation Fantasy

kimberlyanne546

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kimberly
So I posted this on FB and it got me to thinking.

Seems like I'm not the only one "counting" how many planes I can fly PIC in a single day?

Here's the post:

Lately I've had this weird aviation fantasy to rent all three planes I'm PIC in for one landing each so I can say I flew three planes in one single day. Last Saturday quite by accident I flew TWO planes to 3 airports including 5 landings and one go around. A Cessna and a Piper!

The three planes I'm checked out in are:

The BEST PLANE EVER my tiny rental 150:

XrHUT52.jpg

The second best plane because it felt so good to fly over this past weekend. The school said I haven't flown it since Christmas (Dec. 26):

cessna172n.jpg

cockpit03.jpg

The third best plane only because I've barely flown it since my check out:

The Piper Archer II:

piperN40062.jpg

PiperCockpit.jpg

Last edited:
The other day I flew my 540 Eagle and did some acro, then hopped in my 172 just to toot around :)

Attachments

• a eagle 3.jpg
    a eagle 3.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 38
  • ziek cessna 2.jpg
    ziek cessna 2.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 32
That's awesome! I love these kinds of little mini-goals! Great idea.

I have to go back and dig into my logbooks during my instructing days, but I'm pretty sure I have flown at least 5 completely different makes/models in a single day. Not Earth shattering, but fun nonetheless. I was lucky that we had a couple of different trainers at any given time (C-150, C-172, Luscombe) and several of my students had their own airplanes (Cherokee 6, C-170, Viking, C-310, to name a few). Plus corporate twins we ran around in.

Aw, those were the days! :yes:

Now I'm lucky if I get to fly two on the same day, the last time was in October.

From Oct, flew both of these (Falcon in the background and the RV-8) on the same day:

RV-8-and-Falcon-2000.jpg

Naw, that just makes too much time spent preflighting, rather than flying.

I prefer checking out in new aircraft. Most recently, C182. The club has a 177RG that doeen't see a whole lot of use (probably due to quirky W&B) and that's next on the list.

172s and Archers are kinda limiting.

Naw, that just makes too much time spent preflighting, rather than flying.

I prefer checking out in new aircraft. Most recently, C182. The club has a 177RG that doeen't see a whole lot of use (probably due to quirky W&B) and that's next on the list.

172s and Archers are kinda limiting.

To much time spent on preflighting? That takes a couple of minutes per airplane. Do you do a full annual before you fly one :)

How many different planes have you flown in one day?
I regularly get to fly multiple planes (instructing). I've flown all 4 school planes (2-172s, a 162, a 182), and my RV7A in one day a few times. Long day! Tough job but someone's gotta do it :)

I had a few days climbing up and down the Piper twin food chain.

Aztec, Navajo, Cheyenne. Then reverse it.

To much time spent on preflighting? That takes a couple of minutes per airplane. Do you do a full annual before you fly one :)

No, but I do fill the tanks and oil as necessary, and try to really check things, rather than go through the motions. It's all too easy to "check" the pitot tube is clear without really noticing things. Sorry, I won't trust my butt to equipment that gets only a gloss-over.

Used to fly the square tail 172 from Frederick up to Keymar (about 14 miles ;-)),so I could fly the T-craft.

Probably 5 or 6 one day at Gaston's.

I was in and out of six different planes the other day, two of them twice each. C150, Cherokee Arrow, Jabiru 170, Baron 55, Cherokee 140 and Jabiru 250. All are different...but all are the same.

Nice pic with the 150! You should be flying a Gulfstream! :)

Oops...wrong thread...

Goals in aviation are important. If you don't set goals it becomes boring and the excitement fades away.

I can only claim 3 different planes in the same day.

RV-6a
RV-10
Mustang II

How many different planes have you flown in one day?

probably 4 or 5. some memorable days include students in 172, charter in 421, and then towing in the super cub and getting a glider flight in before sunset.

So I posted this on FB and it got me to thinking.

Seems like I'm not the only one "counting" how many planes I can fly PIC in a single day?

I saw your FB post. You can fly any single engine land PIC. You mean what planes you are checked out in at the flight school you rent at.

Like Ed, it was probably 5 or so at Gaston's.

Bonanza (Debonair);
Super Viking (Dave's);
IAR (Steve's);
CitaBlueBerria (Diana's);
195 (Greg's);

Pretty sure I flew those in a day.

Might have flown in Ed's Cherokee (this was pre-Comanche), but don't think I was likely to have handled the controls.

What a great goal and will hopefully get some interesting responses of different plane types people fly. Cool stuff!

I can't speak for myself, but I can speak for a great friend of mine who had a whacky idea for his 50th birthday last year.
It was his "Fly 50 at 50" birthday party. He wanted to fly 50 airplanes on his birthday, and also try and raise 50k for his favorite charity. This all happened back in December of 2012.

He ended up flying 38 different aircraft that day, and a few of them more than once almost hitting his 50 goal. It was a great day for him, and a pretty cool story for everyone to tell.

I saw your FB post. You can fly any single engine land PIC. You mean what planes you are checked out in at the flight school you rent at.

Nope. I've had TWO very generous airplane owners let me fly (more than just straight and level).

Rare but when it happens it makes my week!

Chopped, look at the door, the ignition switch and throttle quadrant

Is that Photoshopped, or is there an autopilot on that panel?

You can see my "lucky duckie" on the dash in this photo. And my knees. This was the day I got checked out, I decided to take it out for a solo flight around the pattern. Does this answer your question?

(no there is no autopilot BTW)

eA5K4pm.jpg

The best I've done was a number of years ago. Finished my high performance endorsement in the 182 and then hopped into the Arrow for a trip across the state.

Well, it's obviously photoshopped, but an autopilot in an Archer isn't all that weird. 74T has an STEC-50 that appears to be original equipment (unlike the Aspen panel).

If it's real, the pilot is in a heap of trouble: zero RPM, no temps, no oil pressure, no ignition key...NO PROP!!! :yikes:

I'm thinking Photoshop...

You are tiny, you make a 150 look like a reasonable size airplane! :D:D
I have flown 2 in one day, Charlene and the 182, I very seldom ever fly anyone else's plane.
The three planes I'm checked out in are:

The BEST PLANE EVER my tiny rental 150:

XrHUT52.jpg

I have flown 2 in one day, Charlene and the 182, I very seldom ever fly anyone else's plane.

I was never expecting to fly privately owned planes either. However, both private owners were present and in one case I flew left seat and another right. I thought landing right would be more difficult (the man sitting left that day was an ex 747 captain and ex CFI).

I tell non pilots it would be like going home and finding $1,000 in your pocket. A pleasant surprise indeed - going from a passenger flight to a full PIC flight - dream come true! Both planes were almost identical to the ones I'm checked out in so I did not feel there were safety issues.

Last edited:
Nope. I've had TWO very generous airplane owners let me fly (more than just straight and level).

Rare but when it happens it makes my week!

What I meant was you can fly any single engine land airplane as PIC. so every time you have your hands on the controls you can log PIC.

I've never really checked. But I have flown an Arrow to get to the glider field, did a few tows in the Pawnee, then swapped out to provide some instruction in the 2-33, Grob 103 and Janus C. Then flew the Arrow back home.

A typical day instructing would have me in any if not all 3 two seat gliders in the club.

Well, it's obviously photoshopped, but an autopilot in an Archer isn't all that weird. 74T has an STEC-50 that appears to be original equipment (unlike the Aspen panel).

I dont think Piper ever put an STEC as original equipment in older Archers.
The black box to the lower left of the yoke is where the standard Piper autopilot would be.

There was an airplane in that picture? :D

Back