Aviation Fantasy

What I meant was you can fly any single engine land airplane as PIC. so every time you have your hands on the controls you can log PIC.

Logging PIC and being PIC are two different things. I don't know what endorsements Kim has, but I'm guessing there's a few SEL's that she can't be PIC for.

I have nothing. I'm a lowly private pilot with around 150 hours. That's only 60 hours since the checkride back in August of 2011. Not a lot.

The most and rarely, is 3 planes in one day, for me it's quality of airtime, not quantity.

I have nothing. I'm a lowly private pilot with around 150 hours. That's only 60 hours since the checkride back in August of 2011. Not a lot.

So, if you do the math, you are averaging 3.3 hours a month since your private. That is better than most. That is almost an hour a week. Private pilots aren't "lowly", but indeed, soar above the crowd.

So, if you do the math, you are averaging 3.3 hours a month since your private. That is better than most. That is almost an hour a week. Private pilots aren't "lowly", but indeed, soar above the crowd.

There's an old poem out there about a pilot's long career through airlines and other various types of aviation and finally realizing the best time after all was PIC flying in a small plane.... the smartest pilots don't need to go through all that to realize it is the best.

Last edited:

Funny. A guy I met said when he sees the birds soaring above his job site he thinks of me.

You're right we are pretty awesome.

I just meant "lower hours in comparison to most pilots on POA right now"

You can't be lowly if you're flying. But if it makes you feel better my first plane was an early ercoupe with only 65hp. Your 150 is a rocket by comparison.

PA28-161, C172R, PA28R-201, Da-20 all in one day... one fun, long day!!

Last month I flown SR22, PA28R, BE35, ME20E and C-172N. One of my students just got his CFI :thumbsup:
Sure I could have flown all of those airplanes in one day, but it hard to do working part time :mad2::lol:

Here are some of birdies
858185_10200273417751647_1886485070_o.jpg

736890_4718247527686_1190549329_o.jpg

775876_4956009591589_276113898_o.jpg

What is the First Alert for? A CO detector?

Congrats on the license btw:wink2:

You can see my "lucky duckie" on the dash in this photo. And my knees. This was the day I got checked out, I decided to take it out for a solo flight around the pattern. Does this answer your question?

(no there is no autopilot BTW)

eA5K4pm.jpg

Aviation Fantasy thread and Gulstream Girl thread...:blowingkisses:

Kern Buck soloed in four different planes in one day, on his 16th birthday. That's according to his brother in the book Flight of Passage.

Well, it's obviously photoshopped, but an autopilot in an Archer isn't all that weird. 74T has an STEC-50 that appears to be original equipment (unlike the Aspen panel).

I guess I threw people off with my reference to an autopilot. The reason I thought it was photoshopped is that the view out the windows shows the plane being airborne, but there is no one at the controls. I didn't even noticed the lack of keys in the ignition and the instrument indications that someone else pointed out!

Seems it may have had an autopilot at some time. the heading bug is there but there is a black plate where the AP should be.

Looks like the electric trim has been removed also. Noting the missing on of switch but a place for it and no hat switch.

Just think, with only 100 hours more, you could be flying a Gulfstream! :D

Seems it may have had an autopilot at some time. the heading bug is there but there is a black plate where the AP should be.

Looks like the electric trim has been removed also. Noting the missing on of switch but a place for it and no hat switch.

I couldn't find an autopilot in that picture either, but I wasn't sure what that was immediately above the breaker panel. But, as Jonesy pointed out, "zero RPM, no temps, no oil pressure, no ignition key," so that answers my question. Also, it looks to me like the airspeed is zero too.

Right now my aviation fantasy is to fly one airplane in one day. The one I have sitting in a hangar would be just fine.

OK so now I have a new aviation fantasy.

Maybe I'm wrong, but besides "Young Eagles" it seems "other stuff" is dying out these days. By "other stuff" I mean "organized airplane events."

Examples:

Flour Bombing (yes I won at my airport, thanks to my bomber, we dropped stuffed rubber chickens).

Spot Landing Contest

Poker Runs

Formation Flight

Shortest Takeoff Distance

Etc.

Of the above, I've flown 4 young eagles flights and participated in two flour bombings (at home).

This weekend I might get to watch a spot landing contest almost 100nm from my home airport.

I wonder where I can watch planes take off in the shortest distance?

How many "fun" events have you attended? Am I correct in my assumption that these events are showing up less and less?

What other old, traditional stuff was there before my time?

Didn't pilots use the props to cut through toilet paper that another pilot dropped above them?

No contests I know of. But there is a Stearman at Sonoma that can take off in stupid-short distances.

There is this super dark color (black or green) glass panel all new Carbon Cub that flies to my airport for the cheap gas. I've seen it twice now. The tires are almost taller than me. I ran over there last time (practically walked the entire length of the airport) to literally drool over the plane. Very little carbon fiber but still such a neat airplane.

Maybe I'm wrong, but besides "Young Eagles" it seems "other stuff" is dying out these days. By "other stuff" I mean "organized airplane events."

Examples:

Flour Bombing (yes I won at my airport, thanks to my bomber, we dropped stuffed rubber chickens).

Spot Landing Contest

Poker Runs

Formation Flight

Etc.

Of the above, I've flown 4 young eagles flights and participated in two flour bombings (at home).

This weekend I might get to watch a spot landing contest almost 100nm from my home airport.

How many "fun" events have you attended? Am I correct in my assumption that these events are showing up less and less?

There is stuff going on all of the time. You just have to get out of O69 and the area a little bit. There is a fly-in this weekend at O22 that has most of the above going on. I used to belong to a meetup.com group and we would often do XC flights to grab food and things like that. We just kinda split apart.

Lincoln had a poker run this last summer. I think most of this stuff happens in the summer. I can see where dropping things out of planes may be losing popularity, though.

What other old, traditional stuff was there before my time?

Didn't pilots use the props to cut through toilet paper that another pilot dropped above them?
still do, but that's a solo act, you throw it out your own window then go down to get it. Your 150 is perfect for that.

At this point, just a one. Some family members gave me regular access to their C150 and there's a Piper in the works that should be up at KSTS with the Cessna soon. Still working on my PPL and only endorsed to fly the C150 but that'll all be over soon! Can't wait to fly the Piper too!

I harboured a Aviation fantasy for 50 yrs since my teenage years I first started to look skywards every time I heard an aircraft overhead... That fantasy of one day being able to "Fly" was finally realized last October when I passed my PPL checkride. :D

Slightly off topic, but I was wondering, the 172 I rent is the aircraft I did all my training in, and as I have to work around it's training schedules to book it if I want to go fly, I am thinking of getting checked out in other aircraft to give me more rental options.

Sorry if my question appears dumb, but just what does a check out consist of ?, a kind of a mini check ride? a run through of Basic maneuvers with a CFI in the right seat, and knowledge of the POH ect. ?

In a new-to-you aircraft, generally, stalls, steep turns, various takeoffs and landings. Plus something resembling the airplane systems part of a presolo quiz. I like to make a checklist as well, but that's not required. It varies a lot, though. You're licensed now; the checkout is only to satisfy yourself and insurance that you won't break anything.

My complex (c177rg) checkout is scheduled for Monday. That one will be more substantial.

In a new-to-you aircraft, generally, stalls, steep turns, various takeoffs and landings. Plus something resembling the airplane systems part of a presolo quiz. I like to make a checklist as well, but that's not required. It varies a lot, though. You're licensed now; the checkout is only to satisfy yourself and insurance that you won't break anything.

My complex (c177rg) checkout is scheduled for Monday. That one will be more substantial.

Thanks MAKG1, sounds like much as what I expected, so nothing to get stressed about :thumbsup:

Good Luck with your complex checkout..

There is stuff going on all of the time. You just have to get out of O69 and the area a little bit. There is a fly-in this weekend at O22 that has most of the above going on. I used to belong to a meetup.com group and we would often do XC flights to grab food and things like that. We just kinda split apart.

Read my post again (the one you quoted). I mention I'm going to a fun event this weekend.

See you at O22 then? I'm totally going. That's why I posted about "spot landings".

Also, I'm now an event co-organizer for a pilot meetup group, probably the one you are talking about. They are how I found out about this weekend.

At this point, just a one. Some family members gave me regular access to their C150 and there's a Piper in the works that should be up at KSTS with the Cessna soon. Still working on my PPL and only endorsed to fly the C150 but that'll all be over soon! Can't wait to fly the Piper too!

Another local pilot - ! Have we met? So cool that we both fly C150's.

I was just at KSTS (well near there) for the Santa Rosa Tower talk - the ATC / Pilot forum (WINGS).

Examples:

Spot Landing Contest

Poker Runs

Formation Flight

Etc.

Try the app Socialflight to look for fly-ins and events close by. There are several around me this weekend. (Southeast)

Slightly off topic, but I was wondering, the 172 I rent is the aircraft I did all my training in, and as I have to work around it's training schedules to book it if I want to go fly, I am thinking of getting checked out in other aircraft to give me more rental options.

Sorry if my question appears dumb, but just what does a check out consist of ?, a kind of a mini check ride? a run through of Basic maneuvers with a CFI in the right seat, and knowledge of the POH ect. ?

Like he said - In a new-to-you aircraft, generally, stalls, steep turns, various takeoffs and landings.

Depending on your relationship with the owner / school / CFI it could be more or less items.

My written tests are kept on file, are open book, and all answers can be found in the POH. I am checked out in five planes at 2 flight schools now.

Some insurance has strange requirements. So ask first. For example, to save costs on her monthly insurance, one airplane owner leases back her 172 to the flight school but requires TEN HOURS of dual before anyone can be "checked out" in the plane. And it has the old six pack. Another plane that requires more hours is the G1000. That can take pilots up to 10 hours but they're signed off as soon as they master it. I know a guy who did so in less than 5 hours of flight time.

Hope this helps.

Kimberly

Um, anywhere closer?

Try KDLS. When the winds whip down the Columbia Gorge you can get some extremely short take-offs and landings. I watched a Luscombe land one day with about a 150 ft roll. The guy called on Unicom to ask if anyone could come out and hold his wingtips while he turned off the runway. It was blowing 35-40kts.

Back