Auto Pilot and IFR

It's a G1000/GFC700, and the simulator flies it correctly.

But I do think you're proving my point. You do all the same things with the autopilot on as with it off, except for the actual muscle. You have the same brief, the same scan, the same radio calls, etc. And you add a bit to make sure it isn't screwing up, plus a much more complex interface. In what sense does this save work on an approach?
My answer is the same as @gsengle's. Saving the "actual muscle" as you put it is quite a bit of energy savings. Plus, monitoring an autopilot is different for me than monitoring myself. It's a bit more relaxed because I am not watching for deviations and making corrections in the same way 100% of the time. Highly focused on those "5T moments". Less so during the many on-course-and-level portions that exist even on an instrument approach.

Obviously I can only speak for myself. People are different. Even when instructing a neophyte, watching a pilot carefully is simply less tiring to me than performing all the maneuvers myself. When my cruise control is on in the car, I find it less tiring on a long drive even though I have to steer. and watch traffic. I don't see "monitoring" as all or nothing - 100% concentration or none at all. The intensity of my concentration ebbs, flows, and changes focus based on, for want of a better term, I see as decision points. Based on your comments, your mind apparently works differently, which would naturally make it difficult to understand that.

My answer is the same as @gsengle's. Saving the "actual muscle" as you put it is quite a bit of energy savings. Plus, monitoring an autopilot is different for me than monitoring myself. It's a bit more relaxed because I am not watching for deviations and making corrections in the same way 100% of the time. Highly focused on those "5T moments". Less so during the many on-course-and-level portions that exist even on an instrument approach.

Obviously I can only speak for myself. People are different. Even when instructing a neophyte, watching a pilot carefully is simply less tiring to me than performing all the maneuvers myself. When my cruise control is on in the car, I find it less tiring on a long drive even though I have to steer. and watch traffic. I don't see "monitoring" as all or nothing - 100% concentration or none at all. The intensity of my concentration ebbs, flows, and changes focus based on, for want of a better term, I see as decision points. Based on your comments, your mind apparently works differently, which would naturally make it difficult to understand that.
One way to look at it is with Otto flying and the pilot monitoring (diligently) both the autopilot and the pilot have to screw up to cause a problem. When only the pilot is doing all the work, one screw up is all it takes.

Ok. I'm not a macho pilot. I admit it. I have a great avionics set up with my Avidyne PFD, MFD, 540/440 and DFC90. The DFC 90 allows me to handle stressful IMC situations in an efficient and safe manner. Not to mention the straight and level button is great. Having the AP who I named "George" allows me to program the reroutes and monitor upcoming weather, engine stats, and plan/brief my approaches while George does the flying. Straight and level when there is nothing to do? That's when I scan and hand fly. Oh, I use the flight director as well. Guess that makes me a double whoose.

When I set out to buy an aircraft, the autopilot availability and type was a must have from the get go.

Just waiting for the pot shots now....

Last edited:
How would you rate having an AP if you are doing IFR flying. I am just being curious. All the videos I watch make the AP seem invaluable while in IFR.

I'm not an instrument rated pilot, but while I'm sure an AP is nice during cruise on an IFR cross country, I would avoid using it to fly the approach for me.

When I bought my Conquest, part of the reason I wanted this particular airplane was the autopilot! It's got an SPZ-500 same as they use in 500 series Citations and I had it in my 441 as well, not many Conquests were built with it, but it's a great A/P and I am very familiar with it!
My 182 has the basic Cessna Nav-o-matic 200 (?) tracks heading or nav when it wants to! But, I don't fly it IFR much and we got it for my son to get his PPL and hopefully his IR, then if he keeps flying it, we will look at either adding a better A/P or trading airplanes. :)
Ok. I'm not a macho pilot. I admit it. I have a great avionics set up with my Avidyne PFD, MFD, 540/440 and DFC90. The DFC 90 allows me to handle stressful IMC situations in an efficient and safe manner. Not to mention the straight and level button is great. Having the AP who I named "George" allows me to program the reroutes and monitor upcoming weather, engine stats, and plan/brief my approaches while George does the flying. Straight and level when there is nothing to do? That's when I scan and hand fly. Oh, I use the flight director as well. Guess that makes me a double whoose.

When I set out to buy an aircraft, the autopilot availability and type was a must have from the get go.

Just waiting for the pot shots now....

I'm not an instrument rated pilot, but while I'm sure an AP is nice during cruise on an IFR cross country, I would avoid using it to fly the approach for me.
A good autopilot is very useful on an instrument approach, when stuff gets busy, it really helps! I don't use it on every approach, I usually fly by hand, but if the weather is crap, I really like to have George fly and I will monitor him and make sure he is behaving! :)

That reminds me of the Baron. You could have it trimmed perfectly flying straight and level and then simply lean your body to the side and the airplane would roll into a turn.
Totally different topic but that sorta reminds me of the times I've setting up the GPS then setting the autopilot to heading mode and promptly forgetting to press the GPSS switch. I've usually got the heading set already with wind correction in so I might not notice the lack of GPSS for quite awhile.

If something fails, yes. But my problem is finding an airplane I could afford to purchase with an autopilot already installed. I'm partial to older 182s and those with autopilots are usually around $80,000. Installing an autopilot in an aircraft that doesn't already have one is completely out of the question. Those suckers are 'spensive.

Brittain... don't know if they're STC'd for a 182. But they're EXTREMELY reasonable, considering all the other options look like they're 15k-20k installed. I'd be looking at about 5k for the unit, 20 hrs of labor, and 25 lbs of weight.

I was not going to comment on this thread as I am not instrument rated and have flown very little with an autopilot but I decided to join in the discussion anyway just to add my two cents (if it is worth that much). I really enjoy hand flying the airplane as I consider it quite a bit of fun. If I were to obtain my instrument rating and were to be flying an autopilot equipped airplane on an IFR flight plan but in VMC conditions, I believe that I would still fly a good portion of the flight by hand with occasional A/P use. However if I were to be flying in actual IMC, I do believe that I would choose to fly the autopilot a large portion of the flight to reduce my task saturation. To me it just makes sense and adds a margin of safety that otherwise might not be there. I neither consider the use of the A/P as non manly or its disuse manly. It is merely personal preference influenced by one's experience, ability and comfort level.

AP is just one of the tools we use. I try to hand fly the plane up to at least 10K at work and hand fly descending through 4-6 depending on how busy I am. I definitely don't want my hand flying skills to go to crap.

Back