ATP Upper Age Limit?

flyerfocus

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
flyerfocus
I sent a question into United’s Aviat program regarding age limits for the program. Here’s the reply:

“There is no maximum age to enroll in the Aviate program or apply to United, however, the Federal Aviation Administration mandates that United pilots retire at age 65. This is in line with FAR Part 121 (Federal Aviation Regulations). This also means that a pilot will not be able to renew their airline transport license once they reach 65 years old.”

I didn’t know one couldn’t “renew” a license at age 65. Did you?

When an airline pilot turns 65, their ATP certificate goes full circle and becomes a student pilot certificate again.

Unless they are a former military pilot… not sure what happens then.

The FAA also has a cognitive Geezer IQ spelling test............ You must be able to still spell ATP.

ATP certificate reverts to commercial pilot certificate at age 65? Ummm, no. Otherwise Netjets would go out of business lol.

When an airline pilot turns 65, their ATP certificate goes full circle and becomes a student pilot certificate again.

Unless they are a former military pilot… not sure what happens then.

Can you elaborate on this? You mean, the ATP certificate expires at age 65?

Maybe they all become ATP instructors at United Aviat academy, (Aground Transport Pilot)

I had to give a 66 yr old a solo endorsement the other day after his ATP expired. Poor guy has to get a private Pilot checkride scheduled. :(

At 65 you still hold an atp, all it means is you cannot exercise the privileges of an atp. You cannot fly under part 121

I had to give a 66 yr old a solo endorsement the other day after his ATP expired. Poor guy has to get a private Pilot checkride scheduled. :(

I'm scratching my head on this one. Licenses don't expire. They can be revoked (flying under a bridge and turning off your transponder). Currencies do need to be updated ( IFR 6X6, flying at night with passenger, etc.).

I'm thinking of it this way. Why would a PPL or a Commercial pilot who hits 65 keep their license, but an ATP (more training, more capable) loose all licenses?

I can see if an ATP hasn't flown a Cessna for a long time, that he/she would have to get checked out in one, get current in type/class/etc., get a flight review - but a check ride with a DPE? A solo endorsement?

Most of you guys are joking. Right? Seriously, an ATP certificate has no expiration date. A Class one medical does. AMEs are allowed to recertify pilots after their 65th birthday. Part 121 is the only sector that employs ATPs? Some ATPs are making six figures/year with Part 91 & 135 operators. One may also fly a LSA on an ATP.

Most of you guys are joking. Right? .

welcome to POA ;)

sarcasm and humor and satire can be hard to pick up.

(please excuse me for stating the blindingly obvious)

Not true. Part 135,on demand has no age limit.

Reading and understanding what you read is a fundamental skill. It is supposed to be a requirement to be a pilot.

I was replying to this from MauleSkinner.
Part 121 isn’t the only operation that requires an ATP, but it’s the only one with an age limit.
My reply was:
True. Part 135 with multi engine turbine is the big one.

How do you read that as me saying that 135 has an age limit?

And here is the regulation that covers what I wrote.

§ 135.4 Applicability of rules for eligible on-demand operations.
(a) An “eligible on-demand operation” is an on-demand operation conducted under this part that meets the following requirements:
(1) Two-pilot crew. The flightcrew must consist of at least two qualified pilots employed or contracted by the certificate holder.
(2) Flight crew experience. The crewmembers must have met the applicable requirements of part 61 of this chapter and have the following experience and ratings:
(i) Total flight time for all pilots:
(A) Pilot in command - A minimum of 1,500 hours.
(B) Second in command - A minimum of 500 hours.

(ii) For multi-engine turbine-powered fixed-wing and powered-lift aircraft, the following FAA certification and ratings requirements:
(A) Pilot in command - Airline transport pilot and applicable type ratings.

(B) Second in command - Commercial pilot and instrument ratings.

Is there anything else that you need explained to you?

TexasClouds and RingLaser - missed the joke - ya got us! Good trolling!

Back