At what point to pilots stop flying IFR

Age is nothing. Are you;

1. Comfortable flying in the soup?
2. Stay current and proficient?
3. Set and stay within personal minimums?
4. Looking at the risk of each flight? What are you risking?

When you no longer respect the risk - hang it up.

Ifr flying is awesome with the right equipment and when you are proficient.

George & Gary -- I agree with you. Have a saying for all instrument pilots: "Currency goes in your logbook, PROFICIENCY keeps you alive." When you strive for proficiency and its just not there, time to check your Birth Certificate. Maybe the time has come!

"Currency goes in your logbook, PROFICIENCY keeps you alive."

Love it! That saying goes for all pilots, not just instrument rated ones.

My ability to maintain a scan and concentrate, for handflying in IMC, will probably fade as I age. I hope that when the time comes I will recognize that it's faded too much.

When money and time run out? I took a break due to work but looking at a potential plane purchase if the deal works out. Then can fly most weekends.

Well I'm only 30, but I will say when I was getting my IR, my instructor (who I also did my PPL with) was 71 at the time and he did a hell of a job (after all he taught me instrument flying ha ha). We spent 5 or so hours during my training in actual IMC. I did some flying with him last week. It was bumpy as hell up there, he flew 6 approaches, from the right seat, partial panel...and did one hell of a job. So if you ask me, age is just a number....

Back