At what point to pilots stop flying IFR

flyzone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Flyzone
I am 69 years old and recently I heard my avionics tech mention to someone about a future decision not to fly IFR anymore. I began to think about that myself and when I might come to that point. For me it might be sooner since I don't have a lot of IFR experience but I thought I'd poll the crowd to see what they might now about this unfortunate decision. It seemed to me that some pilots might stop flying IFR while the continue to fly VFR. I know this is a personal decision and that it depends on many factors but I figure I'd ask anyway.

If you enjoy it, go right on. For me weather is an inconvenience with regard to flying on a schedule. Once retired, I don't plan on having a schedule and don't plan on flying in the soup anymore.

Age has nothing to do with when to quit. I know an 83 year old woman who still actively flies IFR. I guess just quit doing it when it's not fun for you anymore or you feel like you are too out of practice to do it safely.

I'm not current but I ain't quitting it now. I just need an IPC and I'll be good. Probably. Maybe. Ok, maybe a couple of hours. :D

Last edited:
I'm 62 and I think about it but figure I'll know. My flying has always been pleasure-only and flying IFR has been my middle age challenge. It keeps me 'working' at the flying and I like that.

We are living an 'aviation lifestyle' in that we live on an airport, we are flying our homebuilt RV10, and we try to travel by plane as much as possible. IFR makes travel easy and as scheduled for the most part. I enjoy trying to make a trip work, but always with the easy option of mañana.

I hate to travel VFR, especially thru congested, complicated airspace. Flying in the system keeps it simple. I got my magic-of-flight kicks in sailplanes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife just earned her IFR cert at 60 and she has no intention of quitting flying for quite a while. In fact, since I retired last year and she intends to retire next year, we both plan to fly a lot more in the coming decades.

It all depends on YOU.

My wife just earned her IFR cert at 60 and she has no intention of quitting flying for quite a while. In fact, since I retired last year and she intends to retire next year, we both plan to fly a lot more in the coming decades.

At age 69 I think 60 and 62 are downright youthful. I know several who are 70 or more. However, it seems that one might only have about 5 years of IFR flying at the most after 70, excepting that 82 year old lady who just has to be at the outer limits. But maybe that is just my perspective.

I'm 70 and have no intention of giving up IFR any time soon. As long I can keep up with clearances, ATC communications, situational awareness, etc., I'll keep at it. When I no longer feel confident, I'll revert to VFR only. That said, most of my IFR flying is to remain current and my actual IFR is pretty much confined to what you'd call "light" IFR. I have to say, IFR was simpler in the days before GPS and the need to push multiple buttons is the correct order to comply with ATC instructions (but that's a topic for another thread).

Personally I think, presuming you're current and fluent in both VFR and IFR, flying IFR requires a lot less out of the pilot, especially compared to low level VFR, IFR is paint by numbers and following directions.

Now that just has to be a record.

Doubtful. Lots of pilots fly into their 80s. As long as you are of sound body and mind, why not? She owns a Decath and actively flies aerobatics. Even competed a couple years ago and placed.

Doubtful. Lots of pilots fly into their 80s. As long as you are of sound body and mind, why not? She owns a Decath and actively flies aerobatics. Even competed a couple years ago and placed.

I knew a man in Montgomery AL, Ed Long, who holds the record for most hours long, over 65,000. He was in his early 80s when he passed but was still doing power line patrol in a Super Cub, M-F. Very nice man and I was proud to have known him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Long_(aviator)

One of the partners in my plane is in his 70s and flies IFR whenever needed. I'm sure he does it better than me!

At age 69 I think 60 and 62 are downright youthful. I know several who are 70 or more. However, it seems that one might only have about 5 years of IFR flying at the most after 70, excepting that 82 year old lady who just has to be at the outer limits. But maybe that is just my perspective.
My wife's cfii is 86. He is also teaches IFR in helicopters. He has two RVs and a heli and flys all over the country. He hasn't missed OSH or Sun-n-fun in ages.

It's all about YOU.

It's all about YOU.
OP, are you talking about hard IFR or just punching through a layer? Some would not consider the layer punch to be really flying IFR.

So I see it that you can cut back gradually. It is not a go - no go decision for you... Yet!

-Skip

"A man has to know his limitations...."

I met this guy a few times, and once was holding for takeoff behind him. I think he flew a lot of long distance IFR when I knew him (and was getting his clearance for some faraway place as I was waiting). He was in his late 90s for sure then, based on his age in 2008. So age is relative, like everything else.
BTW, he was a super-interesting guy, and I previously mentioned some more details in another thread here.

Edit: found it!

Last edited:
Being 70 and still flying IFR,still comfortable,if weather is seriously going down hill ,I'm not going.when your not comfortable ,it's time to examine your choices.

My wife's cfii is 86. He is also teaches IFR in helicopters. He has two RVs and a heli and flys all over the country. He hasn't missed OSH or Sun-n-fun in ages.

WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE!!!

To make it more visible, here is the thread about the guy who was flying IFR until about 100 or so...

Wow, that was an incredible story. Thank you for sharing.

I just looked him up and he was a very impressive person. His career at Eastern Airlines was just a tiny piece of what he did in the aviation community. He lived to 102 years old and apparently his last words were, "I guess my flying days are over."

http://dmairfield.com/people/miller_jm/

Last edited:
Yeah, age doesn't mean sh*t. Proficiency does. And I think that if I had a spouse that was IFR certified as well, I'd fly in the soup until I felt unsafe. Even in the case of a medical situation, your copilot could take over PIC and get you down. The only thing that would concern me is passenger safety.

When they enter into VFR conditions

^^^^^ That took longer than I expected when I started reading :)

I know 2 people in their 80's who fly his Baron regularly... both VFR/IFR. She's still got a current CFI ticket, also, but doesn't really use it any more. You may remember her from the 'banned from KBJJ' thread awhile back.

They make me feel like a puppy at 68!

Jim

Wow, that was an incredible story. Thank you for sharing.

I just looked him up and he was a very impressive person. His career at Eastern Airlines was just a tiny piece of what he did in the aviation community. He lived to 102 years old and apparently his last words were, "I guess my flying days are over."

http://dmairfield.com/people/miller_jm/

Yeah, he was some amazing character.
I love the nonchalant way he describes how he flew his very first fight/solo and his commercial barnstorming flight, all in one day. :)

It's all about YOU.

My CFII was 84 or 85 last year, took me into actual whenever we were able. He still flies a corporate Navajo once in a while too.

I think altitude slows the aging process. (At least, that's what I tell my wife.)

Anyone can be current, but being proficient and not scaring the hell out of yourself is the real deal. I'll hang up the IFR spurs when I cant remain proficient and comfortable in IMC.

I don't mind not being on top. o_O

Who does? :cool:

Yup, men on top over rated too! :ihih:

images

Last edited:
George & Gary -- I agree with you. Have a saying for all instrument pilots: "Currency goes in your logbook, PROFICIENCY keeps you alive." When you strive for proficiency and its just not there, time to check your Birth Certificate. Maybe the time has come!

Back