At some point a parent has just got to let them fail I guess

Update:

She quit. Since she doesn't have a car in Dallas she ubered to the airport. The uber ride cost more than she made for two days. She met her room mate at the crash pad in Dallas, same story; she is broke and hemorrhaging money. She even spent the night in the airport and still lost money. I have no idea how airlines expect their flight attendants to pay their bills but maybe its obvious now, they are only worried about the airline.

I had hope that she would stick it out for at least six months but I can't say that I blame her for cutting her losses.

Update:

She quit. Since she doesn't have a car in Dallas she ubered to the airport. The uber ride cost more than she made for two days. She met her room mate at the crash pad in Dallas, same story; she is broke and hemorrhaging money. She even spent the night in the airport and still lost money. I have no idea how airlines expect their flight attendants to pay their bills but maybe its obvious now, they are only worried about the airline.

I had hope that she would stick it out for at least six months but I can't say that I blame her for cutting her losses.
That is hard to hear @Timbeck2... Not sure how that works but it definitely sounds like a raw deal. The uber ride to get to DFW from where I live (20 miles) is about $30. I'm glad that she tried something and made it on time and that she's moving on towards something else.

The very first day as I said earlier she worked for 16 hours and only got paid for 3 - the time the aircraft is in the air. I'm not disappointed in her, she gave it the old college try but it just wasn't financially feasible to be a flight attendant and continue to pay bills.

Man, that sucks Tim. As you said though - it's a good learning experience.

That’s a large part of why I didn’t go to the airlines some years back. The regionals were paying so little the first few years that there was no way to afford it without someone else paying the bills. There’s a payoff later (I imagine it’s the same for for flight attendants but don’t know their salaries) but you can’t be taking a pay cut from welfare to get there.

I am sorry the airline couldnt tailor a job that met her expectations.

The very first day as I said earlier she worked for 16 hours and only got paid for 3 - the time the aircraft is in the air. I'm not disappointed in her, she gave it the old college try but it just wasn't financially feasible to be a flight attendant and continue to pay bills.

How do they get away with that? Aren't they required crew to push back from the gate? Would think at least gate-to-gate time would count, if not time from first passenger on to last passenger off.

She should get a job in sales. Endless potential. Fun environment (although stressful at times). Get into medical sales once she has some experience and you can make a ton of money.

I am sorry the airline couldnt tailor a job that met her expectations.

Well I guess people expect to be paid. I don't think her expectations were all that high, but maybe I was wrong. I don't see how they (flight attendants) make a living especially just starting out and it isn't like they can have another job if they're on call all the time.

She should get a job in sales. Endless potential. Fun environment (although stressful at times). Get into medical sales once she has some experience and you can make a ton of money.

I think she will stay in Nashville for the foreseeable future with her boyfriend (that I happen to like for a change) that is serving in the Air National Guard in intel.

No idea, I'm letting her figure it out but there are rumors that she is going to pursue her master's.

So does that mean your plane is up for sale? Got a second job lined up yet? Maybe you could encourage her to marry money.

They both majored in psych. :sigh:

So sorry. Are you seeing a therapist? :)

Sort of...their mother has her master's in counseling so you could say that I'm seeing a therapist.

So I guess marriage counseling is sorta built-in.....

In my dating years, I swore off dating psych majors. Every one of 'em was psychotic. (Though I'm sure the ladies in your family are not, and the ones I met happened to be rare exceptions, of course. :D )

Well I guess people expect to be paid. I don't think her expectations were all that high, but maybe I was wrong. I don't see how they (flight attendants) make a living especially just starting out and it isn't like they can have another job if they're on call all the time.

Maybe flight attendants could collect tips at the end of every flight....

That’s a large part of why I didn’t go to the airlines some years back. The regionals were paying so little the first few years that there was no way to afford it without someone else paying the bills. There’s a payoff later (I imagine it’s the same for for flight attendants but don’t know their salaries) but you can’t be taking a pay cut from welfare to get there.

I have a buddy that flew for Mesa years back. The FOs would jumpseat an out and back just to get the meal.....

My one and only attempt at a regional paid first officers 1300 a month.....I told them why I was leaving and no one cared except to get their property back.....study manuals, GOM, ops specs, ID, secret handshake instructions, etc...

Its the nature of this kind of seniority based job. Schedule sucks when you are at the bottom of the pile and as you learn the bid system and/or move to a base with more work you start to make a liveable wage. It's called 'paying your dues' and it sucks for a couple of years.

It'll boil down to the job taking her away from her boyfriend. And what could possibly be more important than a boyfriend at that age ?

I have no idea how airlines expect their flight attendants to pay their bills but maybe its obvious now, they are only worried about the airline.

Probably they pay new comers so low is so they can pay the senior flight attendants so much....

Good for her. No sense sticking around if it is going to be a financial disaster. At least she tried it.

Maybe she has learned that being an adult is not all peaches and cream after all....

Its the nature of this kind of seniority based job. Schedule sucks when you are at the bottom of the pile and as you learn the bid system and/or move to a base with more work you start to make a liveable wage. It's called 'paying your dues' and it sucks for a couple of years.

It'll boil down to the job taking her away from her boyfriend. And what could possibly be more important than a boyfriend at that age ?

I just don't know how new flight attendants can do it unless they are already in a decent financial state somehow.

Update:

Dang Tim, I’m sorry to hear things didn’t go well, but it sounds like she made the right decision and so I can’t blame her a bit. I don’t know anything about the job, but I’m almost surprised that she could quit so soon, I’d figure there was some sort of contract in place. I guarantee she wasn’t the only one!

Maybe she could get on with a major airline and give that a shot? If that’s her dream of course. Appreciate the update.

Dang Tim, I’m sorry to hear things didn’t go well, but it sounds like she made the right decision and so I can’t blame her a bit. I don’t know anything about the job, but I’m almost surprised that she could quit so soon, I’d figure there was some sort of contract in place. I guarantee she wasn’t the only one!

Maybe she could get on with a major airline and give that a shot? If that’s her dream of course. Appreciate the update.

I doubt very seriously she could do that without paying her dues with the regionals.

I doubt very seriously she could do that without paying her dues with the regionals.
Oh ok. Like I say I know nothing about the job. I didn’t realize that it was also seniority based too.

Is a military hitch an option?

Both parents are retired military, me active Air Force, mom ANG and she's pretty serious about this guy so the answer to your question is, I don't think so. If she did, she would NOT be enlisted or her parents would blow a gasket - each. Besides, I don't think she could handle boot camp/basic training although I'd love to be a fly on the wall during her first week.

I just don't know how new flight attendants can do it unless they are already in a decent financial state somehow.

Mh, maybe not expect to take a car service to work for starters ? She should have probably have a chat with one of the plane cleaners or the girls who work the concession stands to find out what bus connections get you to the airport at odd hours.

Don't want to rag on millenials, but dang taking a car service to work and then complaining about the negative cash flow is something only a millennial would do.

Holy crap man, she just got there. She doesn't know anyone in Dallas, her car is still in Phoenix and she just met the person she was supposed to be living with at the crash pad two weeks after she got there. I guess I should have got your number to help her out. I complain about the millennials too but I own a couple and this is still my daughter we're talking about.

Holy crap man, she just got there. She doesn't know anyone in Dallas, her car is still in Phoenix and she just met the person she was supposed to be living with at the crash pad two weeks after she got there. I guess I should have got your number to help her out. I complain about the millennials too but I own a couple and this is still my daughter we're talking about.

Silly me, I thought you posted up her business for everyone to see because you wanted some comments on it.

I'll just say this and move on:

From what you posted she didn't take this seriously from the get-go. If she did, she would have figured out a way to get the car in place and the living situation settled before the job started.

The sad thing is there is someone who was n+1 on that hiring list and would have made it work who is now denied the opportunity to get a start in that career.

Some serious jerks on here. The pilots barely get paid a wage worth doing the job, you can’t blame an FA for not being able to make a living at it, they’re paid far worse.

The joys of cheap airline tickets.

Back