Are you supposed to remove those things from your shirt collar?

What do you do?

• I Remove Them

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • I Leave them in

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • I have no idea. I am a real adult that buys real clothes and have never come across this before

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I just like you, get my shirts from Walmart. Hold on while I ask my mom what she does with them.

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I bought a really awesome shirt because I was at Walmart and it said it was only $9

I am at work now wearing my $9 Walmart shirt and I pulled one of those things out of the collar.

Now I am wondering if those are supposed to be there so it keeps the collar looking snazzy or if it is just for when the shirt is in the pile with the others at the store so it doesn't get mangled when people step on it.

This thing:
20170412_091431_resized.jpg

For only $9 you too can wear the I.T. Manager special. (I am cheaper than all of you)
20170412_091457_resized.jpg

@gsengle I see you are wearing the same shirt as me in your profile photo. Hey good lookin!

if the poll had a "I had no idea wtf that thing was until I asked my girlfriend/wife" option, I would select that.

I will do an experiment. I purchased two of the shirts. How could I not? At that price I should have bought 10. I will remove them from one shirt and I will leave them in the other shirt. Assuming these last a few wash Cycles I will see how each shirt looks after a month or two

I will do an experiment. I purchased two of the shirts. How could I not? At that price I should have bought 10. I will remove them from one shirt and I will leave them in the other shirt. Assuming these last a few wash Cycles I will see how each shirt looks after a month or two

The problem with Walmart shirts is getting them to last a few wash cycles.

Collar stays. I keep them in. Cant stand bent or goofy-looking collars.

They are supposed to be removed when the shirt is laundered. It is your choice whether to put them back in again.

The shirt looks much better if you leave them in, or better yet get metal ones, especially after the collar gets softer over its life of washes.

If they are plastic, you're supposed to take them out when laundering. The metal ones are fine to leave in. Every now and then I'll have a shirt where they are sewn-in, and not removable at all.

If they are plastic, you're supposed to take them out when laundering. The metal ones are fine to leave in. Every now and then I'll have a shirt where they are sewn-in, and not removable at all.

Listen to me. I went to Harvard and used to work on Wall Street where I wore $10,000 suits with $300 custom tailored shirts so I know what I'm talking about. Plus I used to own a Cirrus so you should respect me. Leave those things in when you wear the shirt but take them out if you plan on ironing or sending that shirt out to be laundered. Over time, no matter what they are made of, if you iron a shirt with them in it won't make TBO. I'm guessing a guy like you would like to take your shirt well beyond TBO. The only way to avoid this extra work is to have your shirts cleaned by a fancy french dry cleaner. I'm talking about an outfit whose name ends in a vowel with some weird thingy over it. A place that charges more to clean your shirt than you paid for it. Those guys will remove your stays and then insert new ones. I'd advise against this though. You really don't want to get trapped in that lifestyle.

Last edited:
Listen to me. I went to Harvard and used to work on Wall Street where I wore $10,000 suits with $300 custom tailored shirts so I know what I'm talking about. Plus I used to own a Cirrus so you should respect me. Leave those things in when you wear the shirt but take them out if you plan on ironing or sending that shirt out to be laundered. Overtime, no matter what they are made of, if you iron a shirt with them in it won't make TBO. I'm guessing a guy like you would like to take your shirt well beyond TBO. The only way to avoid this extra work is to have your shirts cleaned by a fancy french dry cleaner. I'm talking about an outfit whose name ends in a vowel with some weird thingy over it. A place that charges more to clean your shirt than you paid for it. Those guys will remove your stays and then insert new ones. I'd advise against this though. You really don't want to get trapped in that lifestyle.

Lol, nice. Luckily for me, the few dozen button-ups I do own haven't been worn with any regularity for the better part of a decade. It really saves on those fancy dry cleaners with the weird thingy in the name!

I always assumed they were part of the packaging, and one is probably best off removing them the same way they should probably remove the pins. Then again, I don't every recall owning a shirt that actually came equipped with either a plastic or metal tab in a pocket within the collar. The things I'm thinking of wrap around the front of the shirt inside the collars, and must be removed to actually put on the shirt.

I always assumed they were part of the packaging, and one is probably best off removing them the same way they should probably remove the pins. Then again, I don't every recall owning a shirt that actually came equipped with either a plastic or metal tab in a pocket within the collar. The things I'm thinking of wrap around the front of the shirt inside the collars, and must be removed to actually put on the shirt.
I have the same reasoning as well.

So have I. Do those who leave them in also keep pants pockets sewn shut in order to prevent sagging?

No.
But some of us are engineers with shirt pocket protectors. Does that count? ;)

just wear your monkey shirt and u don't have to worry about any of that

So have I. Do those who leave them in also keep pants pockets sewn shut in order to prevent sagging?
Sew them shut? Really? This is a joke, right?
Pockets are for carrying stuff. I never have enough pockets. Even my Tee shirts have pockets.

The only thing I never understood is the little pocket sewn in at the bottom of the regular pocket - those seem to be the perfect size for keys to get stuck in. Why?

Sew them shut? Really? This is a joke, right?
Pockets are for carrying stuff. I never have enough pockets. Even my Tee shirts have pockets.

The only thing I never understood is the little pocket sewn in at the bottom of the regular pocket - those seem to be the perfect size for keys to get stuck in. Why?

I agree, I find it very disconcerting when I wear a pocketless shirt. There is no place to put my cell phone.

9 bucks for a shirt..???

Darn rich pilots that thinks money grows on trees. It is my dream to one day be able to shop at Walmart.....:lol::lol::lol:

Not only should they be left in, they should be replaced from time to time because they bend. Also, the laundry sometimes warps them when they are pressing the shirt.

(There goes that ravioli guy assuming EVERYONE sends their shirts out to be laundered) (Future rant about improperly folded shirts at pickup will follow)

I think those went out with slide rule holsters.

Tradition dies hard.
I think I still have my slipstick in a box in the basement somewhere.

9 bucks for a shirt..???

Darn rich pilots that thinks money grows on trees. It is my dream to one day be able to shop at Walmart.....:lol::lol::lol:

Better give up aviation then...:D

Other solutions include:
banded-collar-shirt-grey.jpg

or:
9mm.jpg

Dude, that's the pocket for the airplane keys! Come on! Keeps them from getting tangled with your car keys. :cool:

Yeah you could go that route and never have to worry bout sticking your thing in things again.

Alter boys excluded...

Shirt collars...I mean helping alter boys with their shirt collar stays you sick bastard...

That'll be five hail Marys...

Back