Are you supposed to remove those things from your shirt collar?

What do you do?

• I Remove Them

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • I Leave them in

Votes: 41 66.1%
  • I have no idea. I am a real adult that buys real clothes and have never come across this before

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • I just like you, get my shirts from Walmart. Hold on while I ask my mom what she does with them.

Votes: 6 9.7%

• Total voters
Fun fact: we had a neighbor about 4-5 doors down that would mow his lawn in a collared-dress shirt, with dress slacks rolled up, dress socks, and old tennis shoes. Used an electric (plug-in) mower as well. It was funny as hell seeing a balding-guy in his mid-50's mowing in business attire in the middle of a 100-degree day, sweating profusely. I can't for the life of me imagine what his personality was like, but I believe he was a lawyer by trade.

Probably watched Ozzie and Harriet when he was growing up.

You guys and your fancy dress. I wore an "Unbeatable Squirrel Girl" t-shirt to work today. I was still dressed up because I wore socks with my Chuck Taylors.

Nauga,
who dresses like a billionaire

There's a story about a fairly famous nautical engineer (involved in spy subs, Woods Hole stuff, etc... stuff people know about but most don't know him or his name) who had a wardrobe that consisted of nothing but light blue button down shirts (both long and short sleeve, depending on weather), navy blue slacks similar to Dockers of a specific brand, and shorts of the same brand and variety, black socks, and a specific pair of leather shoes. All the same brands and types. He rotated the shoes, one pair was new for "formal" occasions, one pair was the "everyday" pair, and one pair that was nearly worn out was the "lawnmowing" pair.

He claimed he didn't have time to worry about fashion or what to wear in the morning. Just grab a shirt (pick long or short sleeved), pants (or shorts if it was really hot), and slap on the same belt, black socks, and whichever wear-level of shoes was appropriate for the day. Packing for his multiple and frequent trips was also simplified greatly.

He supposedly had to borrow a jacket when the Washington D.C. brass gave him some sort of Naval lifetime-achievement type award. Still wore the slacks and the light blue shirt under it.

One trick I learned from his story, and even my wife ascribes to now, is buying all of the exact same socks in white and black... same brand, a big pile of them. Haven't sorted a sock in almost a decade. When they start to wear out, throw individual ones out, when the pile gets annoyingly small, they become shop rags for the garage, and a new large pile is purchased of all the same socks. Lifespan wasted sorting socks is stupid. There's half a drawer of white, and half a drawer of black, and a small section of "special" socks... some low-cut ones for shorts wear in the summer, all the same white brand and type, and a few expensive hiking/wool/specialty socks, in a different drawer.

Once my wife (nurse) saw me doing this, her daily wear sock drawer got the same treatment... her "specialty" sock drawer is bigger/fuller, but 90% of the time, she doesn't have to sort socks either. Just dump them in the drawer. Done.
I like this, my sock drawer is insane.

Fancy collar stays! I ran across these and remembered this thread.

I took a closer look at some of my shirts and realized they are there, but sewn in so they are not removable. I never noticed them before. :oops:

Do ladies shirts still button on the wrong side?
She looks at what she is wearing and in the closet...

Buttons are on the left (my left) as I am wearing the shirts. I don't know if that's "wrong" or not. I never noticed. But I don't wear too many men's shirts, at least not button-up shirts.

As I put my collar stays in this morning I thought to myself, POA thinks I'm a pretentious jerk because of little metal thingies in my shirt. I'm ok with that.

Stop wearing ties when I retired 20 years ago. Used to keep one for burial suit but ditched that a few years ago.

Button down shirts don't need no stinking collar stays.

Cheers

As I put my collar stays in this morning I thought to myself, POA thinks I'm a pretentious jerk because of little metal thingies in my shirt. I'm ok with that.

I haven't seen anyone say that. If someone likes certain clothes, great. It's those shallow folks who judge someone else because of colored rags that turn me off.

I haven't seen anyone say that. If someone likes certain clothes, great. It's those shallow folks who judge someone else because of colored rags that turn me off.

Posts 57 and 75 were close. But I guess it was stated the "those that do" way, not all that do. Must have been another thread I was thinking of where dressing nicely was viewed as someone trying to be better than others. I dress nicely because I want to. Everyone else in my department wears jeans half the time.

I was getting some clothes ready for a funeral on Friday and noticed none of my dress shirts have collar stays or even the pockets for them. Thought of this thread. You all must be wearing more expensive shirts than I have. Not sure what the difference would be other than I got all my dress shirts at JCPenney. Oh well, no one from POA will be there to notice. :cool:

If you're bothering to wear a collar like that, you should take the time to do it right. Here's what those collar stays do, demonstrated on a decent-quality shirt. First is without, second is with metal stays. It's a small but noticeable difference.

My collar stays aren't as effective on my collars as these pictures.

Back