Approach to closed runway?

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
Runway 4/22 at KELP is closed for a month. If the winds are favoring 8L/8R, and ceilings are 900', will they let you shoot the GPS approach to 4 and then once under the cloud deck, turn 40 degrees to line up on 8L/8R?

I recall doing something like before

Runway 4/22 at KELP is closed for a month. If the winds are favoring 8L/8R, and ceilings are 900', will they let you shoot the GPS approach to 4 and then once under the cloud deck, turn 40 degrees to line up on 8L/8R?
Yes. If nothing on the approach is NOTAMED out than you can circle till your hearts content.

Yep, what you are describing is a normal circle-to-land approach, albeit one with a closed runway. Now if you were using an ILS to the closed runway, you may be out of luck. Tech Ops now has a policy to shut off ILS systems to closed runways to avoid accidents.

They may have the approaches to that runway NOTAMED closed/out of service. At ELP you also have to be careful where you circle, I think Biggs Army base has restricted airspace close to ELP if I recall, and that big ass hill just west of the approach ends of 26L/R.

All depends on how it is NOTAMed. They recently closed the main runway at my home field for some work and subsequently also NOTAMed the LOC and RNAV approaches as N/A during the closure even though there is a published circle to land procedure and you could use on the crosswind runway...the VOR Approach was still available which is a circle to land.

All depends on how it is NOTAMed. They recently closed the main runway at my home field for some work and subsequently also NOTAMed the LOC and RNAV approaches as N/A during the closure even though there is a published circle to land procedure and you could use on the crosswind runway...the VOR Approach was still available which is a circle to land.
Most likely they would be working with heavy vehicles in an area that would disrupt the LOC approach, and possible the RNAV, although most RNAV now are gps based.

Typically, if a runway is closed, they won't approve an approach to that runway. Why not shoot the RNAV 26 and circle to 8?

They may approve a circle to land approach provided the approach permits circling.

They may have the approaches to that runway NOTAMED closed/out of service. At ELP you also have to be careful where you circle, I think Biggs Army base has restricted airspace close to ELP if I recall, and that big ass hill just west of the approach ends of 26L/R.
Foreflight is showing a NOTAM raising the minimums a bit on the RNP versions of the approach to Rwy 4, but none of the Rwy 4 approaches appear to be NOTAMed out-of-service.

Day after I got my instrument rating it was an 600’ overcast IMC day and I got to fly the loc 4 approach.

Wind typically gusts very strong in the spring from the west. That is probably why they chose to work on the main runway during the spring. I’d imagine in the rare event they need to use 8 it will be a circle approach from 26l.

It’s legal with the FAA. FAA will shut down the IlS to the closed runway usually. But it’s legal to do the approach.

tex

Yes, but you do have to observe circling minimums of course, but the circling mins for the GPS 4 Xray is still a good 500 agl or so.

Now if you want to continue the approach and land on the closed runway, this guy can tell you how it's done.
upload_2018-8-5_15-20-56.jpeg

Typically, if a runway is closed, they won't approve an approach to that runway. Why not shoot the RNAV 26 and circle to 8?

Last week, runway 16/34 at KAWO was NOTAMed closed. Several aircraft were doing the LOC 34 approach. I've never heard so much sniping on the radio. In addition to the airport manager (or his appointee) saying, "be advised Runway 34 is closed by NOTAM", others were getting on the radio, obviously concerned about the instrument traffic conflicting with the pattern on 11/29. For a little while, it was a total circus. I couldn't help but wonder what the guys working on the runway were thinking if they were monitoring the frequency.

NORCAL Approach has been allowing practice ILS Rwy 32R approaches at Moffett Field (NUQ) while the runway has been closed. They do include "circle-to-land runway 32 left" in the clearance, however.

James Inhofe. He’s the senator from Oklahoma who likes to land on closed runways and almost hit construction workers.
He wrote the Pilots Bill of RIghts as a result of the aftermath from landing on the closed runway, so I guess we benefited from his mistake?

KBKL had 24R closed a couple weeks ago when I went in there in IMC, but I was cleared for the RNAV 24R, circle to 24L. I don’t think 24L has any IAPs, so it made sense to me.

Back