Apple is "amazing, incredible, great, easy"

Risk versus Benefit. Not just eliminate all possibilities. So far you fail to recognize the benefit while failing to discuss the actual risk.
Security and productivity are an antagonistic relationship, with an inverse function.

Higher security means lower productivity. Perfect security means lock the doors and don't let anyone in. No work gets done, of course, but everything is perfectly secure.

Too many places do not understand that. You have to decide how much productivity and employee satisfaction you are willing to lose vs. the gain in security.

False. Those numbers were artificially high because Apple was not correctly tracking the stat.

I'm looking for the real 1st year number. I found it once before and it was less than their 10 million unit goal (much less IIRC).

They have hit 41 million units recently, but that includes exchanges, buyers remorse resells, and the inexplicable condition where one user has multiple iPhones but only one mobile number (that is to say, they broke their first one, bought a second one, but that still counts as 2).

The iPhone is doing better than expected, but less than hoped for. Android is quickly beating out the iPhone, and now that it is available on multiple carriers, lets see what happens. I predict, by 2012:

1) Blackberry (this will almost never change)
2) Android
3) Windows Mobile
4) iPhone

I leave Symbian off, because it is not a true smartphone OS.

God, I was so close. Today, the market goes:

2) Android
3) iPhone
4) Probably WM, but no one talks about them anymore.

I should get paid for my predictions. I was even a year and a half early!

2) Android
3) iPhone

I should get paid for my predictions. I was even a year and a half early!

What's the source of your market ranking? Yours differs from the one Jobs showed in his last WWDC address.

One study is US-only, the other is international. Together, you'd conclude that Android beat iPhone in the US, but that iPhone beat Android world-wide.

Of course, you might also want to look at "seasonality", as Android phones are released throughout the year, while a new iPhone model only arrives once a year. So it would be interesting to see what kind of surge Apple gets with the iPhone 4 release.
-harry

The 'droid's a nice phone but I wonder how much of it's popularity has more to do with the service providers that it's available on vs. the phone itself? Our family integrates all our platforms (phones, notebooks, & desktops) with MobileMe and it's been a game changer. I'd use a service that required a tin can and string for that functionality. AT&T is just a step above the string and I for one will be a very happy camper when I can get the service on my iPhone that folks get on their 'droids with Verizon.

The 'droid's a nice phone but I wonder how much of it's popularity has more to do with the service providers that it's available on vs. the phone itself? Our family integrates all our platforms (phones, notebooks, & desktops) with MobileMe and it's been a game changer. I'd use a service that required a tin can and string for that functionality. AT&T is just a step above the string and I for one will be a very happy camper when I can get the service on my iPhone that folks get on their 'droids with Verizon.

Hmm my droid is on AT&T

iPhone 4 reviews are hitting the street. Engadget has the most in-depth and technical review. And they only used the word "amazing" four times. :D They also managed to get 38 hours of use out of a single charge!

Probably not a surprise, as the iFixit teardown shows the innards of the thing are almost all battery.

iPhone 4 reviews are hitting the street. Engadget has the most in-depth and technical review. And they only used the word "amazing" four times. :D They also managed to get 38 hours of use out of a single charge!

Probably not a surprise, as the iFixit teardown shows the innards of the thing are almost all battery.

Does that mean that after four tries, it looks like they finally got it figured out? :D

Does that mean that after four tries, it looks like they finally got it figured out? :D
Maybe. B)

But one thing I wonder: while Apple is making phones thinner and slightly narrower, why are others going in the opposite direction? Ewwww

2) Android
3) iPhone

I doubt your Blackberry prediction will hold true for much longer - No more than 2 years. I'd be willing to bet that in 3 years, it'll be Android, iPhone, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry... But of course that's subject to change as all the players change.

Maybe. B)

But one thing I wonder: while Apple is making phones thinner and slightly narrower, why are others going in the opposite direction? Ewwww

No kidding. I got to play with an Evo a bit recently and was surprised at how big and klunky it was, and how poor the build quality seemed. :dunno:

I traveled with a company phone AT&T service (less bars, more places) and a personal phone on Verizon and VZ won hands down with the exception of downtown Miami in terms of service availability.

The only place I've found AT&T to surpass Verizon is the Bahamas. I'll say, though, that I have had very few places to compare the two.

It seems like all the places I really want the company Verizon phone to work, like calling CANPASS from the customs box at CYYC, it drops calls and I have to resort to my personal AT&T phone. Last week we spent all day in a somewhat remote area of Texas and my AT&T phone worked but the Verizon phone had no signal for the entire day. It wouldn't even receive a text message. My flying buddy's phone was incommunicado all day too and he has Verizon so it wasn't the physical phone. I've also brought the Verizon phone home to test because the AT&T signal at my house is weak. However, the Verizon signal is weak too even though it shows it should have good signal on the coverage map. Maybe other people have had better luck with Verizon but from my personal experience, which I know is anecdotal, I would definitely not call their coverage better than AT&T's.

January of 2013? Remember that there is the "generous offer" to allow most iPhone owners to get an early jump on the iPhone 4 with a new 2 year commit and there will be 2 more iPhone announcements, one each June during that time.
What is this "generous offer" you speak of?

What is this "generous offer" you speak of?

AT&T let any iPhone subscriber who had a contract that ended before 2011 to upgrade to the iPhone4 now. I think that brought in most of the early adopters of the iPhone 3GS.

mikea said:
AT&T let any iPhone subscriber who had a contract that ended before 2011 to upgrade to the iPhone4 now. I think that brought in most of the early adopters of the iPhone 3GS.
I bought my 3GS in December with a new commitment. According to AT&T I do not qualify for contract pricing on the iPhone 4 :shrug:

Maybe iPhone 5...

Here is a question, maybe for Scott: the chief advantage of Verizon-compatible phones up here is that there still are analog cell sites in rural areas run by operators with roaming agreements with Verizon. Do all phones that Verizon currently sells have that analog capability? Wonder if I could use a Verizon iPhone in Kotzebue or McCarthy like my old Motorola...

Here is a question, maybe for Scott: the chief advantage of Verizon-compatible phones up here is that there still are analog cell sites in rural areas run by operators with roaming agreements with Verizon. Do all phones that Verizon currently sells have that analog capability? Wonder if I could use a Verizon iPhone in Kotzebue or McCarthy like my old Motorola...

A couple of years ago FCC Part 22 sunset the requirement for 800MHz cellular carrier, such as Verizon, to have some analog coverage anywhere they had deployed digital systems. When that happened cellular phone manufactuers quickly removed the circuitry for the mode from their devices. The extra real-estate on the chips could be used for something else, the removal of the ability to hand-off from digital to analog saved precious code space and all of this taxed the batteries just that much less.

I am no longer aware of any CDMA phone that also has analog in it being produced today. There may be a couple. In most every major trading area in the lower 48, analog cellular was shut down. But there may still be analog capable phones out there in the hands of consumers.

A couple of years ago FCC Part 22 sunset the requirement for 800MHz cellular carrier, such as Verizon, to have some analog coverage anywhere they had deployed digital systems. When that happened cellular phone manufactuers quickly removed the circuitry for the mode from their devices. The extra real-estate on the chips could be used for something else, the removal of the ability to hand-off from digital to analog saved precious code space and all of this taxed the batteries just that much less.

I am no longer aware of any CDMA phone that also has analog in it being produced today. There may be a couple. In most every major trading area in the lower 48, analog cellular was shut down. But there may still be analog capable phones out there in the hands of consumers.

And if you had a GM car with the earlier version of On-Star you were SOL as it used the analog networks. No upgrade possible.

And if you had a GM car with the earlier version of On-Star you were SOL as it used the analog networks. No upgrade possible.
Guess which company made most of the OnStar analog units. As I was the point man to the FCC on getting this sunsetting into the regulation you can imagine how popular I was with our automotive group. But it needed to be done for the entire industry's sake. If it was not then the USA would be stuck supporting an outdated and moded technology that only a few people were still using. Analog cellular is the black and white TV in an HD world world.

Ah, you haven't tried at OSH. :cheerswine:

As soon as VZ gets the iPhone, they'll suck at OSH too... Here's how I know:

1) In 2007, I got the iPhone a week after it came out and went to OSH with it a couple of weeks later. It worked really well. There were very few iPhones out on the street at that point.

2) In 2008, seemingly everyone had an iPhone, and AT&T was utterly useless at OSH because the network was completely overwhelmed. It was taking 3-4 hours to send a text message, and make a call? Fuhgeddaboutit.

3) In 2009, AT&T responded by putting up temporary towers at OSH. The service wasn't great, but it was WAY better than 2008. Texts went through right away, and I was usually able to use the phone OK.

When Airventure isn't happening, AT&T works just fine at OSH. So, when VZ gets the iPhone, I expect that they'll get stomped at OSH as well.

As much as I hate AT&T sometimes, their network really isn't as bad as everyone says. I switched from VZ to AT&T in Feb. 2006, long before the iPhone announcement, and there was a noticeable improvement in the number of calls I dropped (or, rather, didn't) and the areas where I had service (remember, I'm all over the country). It wasn't a huge difference, I might not even call it significant, but it was enough to be noticeable. It's only after the iPhone came out and they got clobbered that it started to get bad, and they've made a lot of improvements recently (last 2 years).

Every network is going to have dead spots - That's just a fact of life. So, there will be anecdotes about how good or bad anyone's service is based on individuals' own experiences. IME as someone who is traveling around the country all the time (I've been in all 48 states multiple times within the last 3 years), both VZ and AT&T are the only truly nationwide networks, and both are close enough to even that it's not worth making your decision based on the network unless you don't get any service at home.

I do expect AT&T's service will get better after VZ gets the iPhone, mainly because I'm sure a lot of folks will jump over to VZ at that point, whether the grass is really greener on the other side or not, and that'll relieve the burden on AT&T's network. I hope VZ is ready for the onslaught, or their network will suck worse than AT&T's does now...

... Analog cellular is the black and white TV in an HD world world.
However, with analog cellular, I had phone service from Denver to Custer, SD reliably. Now, 1 mile off I-25 and the next 3 hrs are spent in digital cellular cone of silence. Sometimes that's not a bad thing, but in general, kinda sucks.

Back