Apple is "amazing, incredible, great, easy"

That is all from ONE freaking presentation?

I know one should "trumpet" ones products, but that is inane.

Beats the hell out of Balmer's presentations:
His iPhone prediction:

Last edited:
I would say Ballamer was correct about the iPhone - as it was not the success that was planned. I haven't seen the numbers recently, but I'd be willing to bet that it still goes: 1) Blackberry, 2) Windows Mobile 3) iPhone as far as market penetration goes, because the iPhone is only available on one (subpar) carrier.

The rest? Yeah, Ballamer is a nutjob. But Apple?? Holy crap, that presentation was full of "incredible" and "easy."

I would say Ballamer was correct about the iPhone - as it was not the success that was planned. I haven't seen the numbers recently, but I'd be willing to bet that it still goes: 1) Blackberry, 2) Windows Mobile 3) iPhone as far as market penetration goes, because the iPhone is only available on one (subpar) carrier.

The rest? Yeah, Ballamer is a nutjob. But Apple?? Holy crap, that presentation was full of "incredible" and "easy."

Really?

Man alive, around here, it's iPhones everywhere.

Actually -- Apple over-took Windows Mobile in sales during Q2 of this year. Based on Q2 sales the numbers go like this:
Symbian 50%
Blackberry 20.9%
iPhone 13.7%
Windows Mobile 9%

Considering the length that the iPhone has been in the game that isn't bad. They now have the iPhone starting at $99 which will certainly drive sales. You're right though -- until they are on more carriers they are limited.

SCCutler said:
Man alive, around here, it's iPhones everywhere.
They are exploding right now with the $99 price of entry. It'll be interesting to see the numbers in another year. If they were available across the major carriers they would certainly over-take the competitors (IMO).

It'll be interesting to see what Android does. The platform has a *lot* of potential. With some good phones -- it'll be a serious competitor.

Last edited:
Actually -- Apple over-took Windows Mobile in sales during Q2 of this year. Based on Q2 sales the numbers go like this:
Symbian 50%
Blackberry 20.9%
iPhone 13.7%
Windows Mobile 9%

Considering the length that the iPhone has been in the game that isn't bad. They now have the iPhone starting at $99 which will certainly drive sales. You're right though -- until they are on more carriers they are limited.

They are exploding right now with the $99 price of entry. It'll be interesting to see the numbers in another year. If they were available across the major carriers they would certainly over-take the competitors (IMO).

It'll be interesting to see what Android does. The platform has a *lot* of potential. With some good phones -- it'll be a serious competitor.

You know, the big thing is this:

Only Apple (with iPhone) and Blackberry have been able to establish a real platform identity (I have a Treo... yawn).

Android will have to make The Big Move if ever they are going to get into that space.

reversi for only 99 bucks! where do i sign up???

Symbian 50%
Blackberry 20.9%
iPhone 13.7%
Windows Mobile 9%

Yes the Android platform is the next entrent and it will be very interesting to watch.

That is all from ONE freaking presentation?

I know one should "trumpet" ones products, but that is inane.

Keep in mind that this is over the course of about two hours or so... It's not that bad when you're watching the whole thing. I thought this movie was pretty funny. :yes:

I would say Ballamer was correct about the iPhone - as it was not the success that was planned.

Huh? It was every bit the success that was planned - At the intro, Jobs said that in their "wildest dreams" or something to that effect, they'd be REALLY happy if they were able to sell 10 million units in the first year... And they did better. I think the last number I heard (a few months ago now) was 41 million iPhones in the field - A smashing success, considering you can't get it on any carrier but AT&T in the US.

True. The funny thing I've noticed is the more expensive the phone, the less likely the owner is to answer it.

That's because the iPhone doesn't just have Caller ID, it has Caller Motive ID, so we know what you're calling about without having to pick up the phone. Apparently, you're not calling about anything important. :no: :D

Huh? It was every bit the success that was planned - At the intro, Jobs said that in their "wildest dreams" or something to that effect, they'd be REALLY happy if they were able to sell 10 million units in the first year... And they did better. I think the last number I heard (a few months ago now) was 41 million iPhones in the field - A smashing success, considering you can't get it on any carrier but AT&T in the US.

Unless you do what I did and buy a jail broke one which worked just fine with my T-Mobile and now my Optus SIM....You just have to pay the full ticket for it...

Ballmer: "I have four words for you! I. Love. This. Company!"

I'd love it too if it had put as much money in my pocket as it did for him. You gotta know though that if he could take that first iPhone interview back today he would. Anyone here own a Zune? Anyone know anyone that owns one?

Ballmer: "I have four words for you! I. Love. This. Company!"

I'd love it too if it had put as much money in my pocket as it did for him. You gotta know though that if he could take that first iPhone interview back today he would. Anyone here own a Zune? Anyone know anyone that owns one?

Actually yes, I know a lot of people with Zunes. They are awesome devices, and will act as a media server for the XBox 360, which is great for parties or family BBQs.

The iPod that I spent way too much money on does not do that.

False. Those numbers were artificially high because Apple was not correctly tracking the stat.

I'm looking for the real 1st year number. I found it once before and it was less than their 10 million unit goal (much less IIRC).

They have hit 41 million units recently, but that includes exchanges, buyers remorse resells, and the inexplicable condition where one user has multiple iPhones but only one mobile number (that is to say, they broke their first one, bought a second one, but that still counts as 2).

The iPhone is doing better than expected, but less than hoped for. Android is quickly beating out the iPhone, and now that it is available on multiple carriers, lets see what happens. I predict, by 2012:

1) Blackberry (this will almost never change)
2) Android
3) Windows Mobile
4) iPhone

I leave Symbian off, because it is not a true smartphone OS.

hmm...

Reminds me of similar discussions about IBM in the late '80s. :)

I'm not suggesting who might become a new #1, only that it can and will happen.

This is true. I meant anytime soon, but you're right. RIM can't be on top forever.

Actually yes, I know a lot of people with Zunes. They are awesome devices, and will act as a media server for the XBox 360, which is great for parties or family BBQs.

The iPod that I spent way too much money on does not do that.

How many things can your iPod Touch do that your Zune can't do?

The iPhone is doing better than expected, but less than hoped for.
That's a peculiar definition of success/failure. I'd be interested in seeing how you determined what Apple "hoped for".
Android is quickly beating out the iPhone...
How are you defining "quickly beating out"?
2) Android
From a consumer perspective, what advantages does an Android phone offer that will motivate me to choose that over an iPhone?
-harry

Okay, to turn this to a more important topic (ME! :)), I need to get a new phone. I'm with Verizon, which has good service, but mediocre phones. My company doesn't support Blackberrys to get email, calendaring, etc. I'm thinking of the HTC Touch Pro 2, which is Window 6.1 based. Anyone know of a better option with Verizon? Or should I just chuck Verizon, move to AT&T, and get an iPhone?

From a consumer perspective, what advantages does an Android phone offer that will motivate me to choose that over an iPhone?
-harry
In the US you can get an Android based phone that is not on the AT&T network. There are yet to be the development environment around that platform yet with all the apps that you see for the iPhone. That may change.

How many things can your iPod Touch do that your Zune can't do?

I don't have a Zune, but the only thing that my iPod Touch does that the Zune can't is accelerometer functions.

I don't have a Zune, but the only thing that my iPod Touch does that the Zune can't is accelerometer functions.
Really? Can you show me the equivalents to all of the app store applications on your Zune?

You can run xplane on your zune?
-harry

-harry

AT&T is doing some shifty things with data. Neglecting that, the simple perspective that the Android devices are coming available on multiple carriers bodes well for it vs. the iPhone, which is only available on AT&T.

Right now, Andorid is available on T-Mobile only, but soon, it will be available on Verizon and most probably AT&T as well.

The Android, being open source, has a lot of free features that are available on it, and more free features are added every day though the market. There are paid apps as well, but as of right now, most of the apps int he market are free. Some developers will complain about it, but to a consumer, free apps are good.

The iPhone is becoming old hat. The Android is still being actively developed, and it will be available on more than one phone. Right now, the iPhone is the iPhone is the iPhone, although there are different storage capacities, its all the same phone. Android is available on the G1, which has a slide out keyboard, and the MyTouch, with only an onscreen keyboard. Soon, there will be more devices with more functionality.

The iPhone? Its an iPhone, and it won't change to a new device.

And if it does? Well, it'll still be an AT&T specific phone.

Really? Can you show me the equivalents to all of the app store applications on your Zune?

You mean the thousands and thousands of apps on the iPhone compared to the thousands and thousands of apps available for the Zune? No, I can't because that would take months to figure out.

I will say this: Most apps for the Zune are free.

Okay, to turn this to a more important topic (ME! :)), I need to get a new phone. I'm with Verizon, which has good service, but mediocre phones. My company doesn't support Blackberrys to get email, calendaring, etc. I'm thinking of the HTC Touch Pro 2, which is Window 6.1 based. Anyone know of a better option with Verizon? Or should I just chuck Verizon, move to AT&T, and get an iPhone?

Stick with Verizon, wait a little bit and get their Android phone.

There is a FREE app that will allow you to get your work email through OWA (which is how the HTC Touch Pro 2 would get your email), and you're golden.

Going to the iPhone will mean additional cost to do the same, on a slower network, and using Activesync which just sucks.

There are yet to be the development environment around that platform yet with all the apps that you see for the iPhone. That may change.
It may, but there's the inevitable chicken/egg problem, the apps might help to attract consumers, but you need the consumers to attract development of the apps.

An argument that Android is going to displace the iPhone has to be viewed with the same skepticism as an argument that Mac OS is going to displace Windows. It's not impossible, and eventually every leader is toppled, but "it's hard" for the same set of reasons.

I think we'll see the iPhone on competitive carriers well before we'll see an Android app store that rivals the iPhone's.
-harry

You mean the thousands and thousands of apps on the iPhone compared to the thousands and thousands of apps available for the Zune? No, I can't because that would take months to figure out.

I will say this: Most apps for the Zune are free.
..and..these apps aren't just there and easy to get at. Unless Microsoft has released an App store I don't know about.

Going to the iPhone will mean additional cost to do the same, on a slower network, and using Activesync which just sucks.
Why does Activesync suck? I can see it being more difficult for you to troubleshoot as a former T-Mobile employee. But from an enterprise's perspective with competent administrators Activesync works quite nicely.

A lot of companies simply aren't comfortable with all their data blasting through third-party networks.

Zune Sexy

zune-tattoo.jpg

iPod Sexy

Girl-floating-in-pool-with-.jpg

Got it?

Back