Anyone else following the young pilot in the FB groups? PPL to 777 in 3 months?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Any of you watching this kid?

Got his PPL last week I think (24 yrs old)
Bought a SR22, Put a deposit down on a Cirrus Vision Jet
Planning on having his 777 Type rating in Nov?

I am not sure what to make of it. If you are paying attention to him, can he do all this stuff or is he trolling the internet?

I am not sure what to make of it. If you are paying attention to him, can he do all this stuff or is he trolling the internet?

If he's got the money he probably can. But having a 777 Type and actually being able to use it are two very different things.

Ok. I have no clue about these things. He seems to be gifted financially.
These were last week's posts:

MegaPilot.jpg

Saudi Prince? Whether it's a Citation or a 747, anyone with a Private Pilot certificate (and practically speaking an instrument rating too) can get a type rating in anything. It will require a lot of studying, training, and money, but it can be done.

Saudi Prince? Whether it's a Citation or a 747, anyone with a Private Pilot certificate (and practically speaking an instrument rating too) can get a type rating in anything. It will require a lot of studying, training, and money, but it can be done.

I am confused on how a type rating works (Obviously I am mistaking it for actual training)
Don't you have to have X number of hours before you can get rated for large commercial jets?
Don't I hear pilots working their way up through the ranks and 1000s of hours before getting these things?

Knowing that most pilots are cheap SOBs that will leave their fingerprints permanently imprinted in a penny, he's applying the appropriate level of trolling.

I am confused on how a type rating works (Obviously I am mistaking it for actual training)
Don't you have to have X number of hours before you can get rated for large commercial jets?
Don't I hear pilots working their way up through the ranks and 1000s of hours before getting these things?

Most folks don't bother with a type rating until their employer pays for it. The only mega hours requirement is for an ATP certificate. A type rating is held to the same standards as an ATP.

Fwiw, Travolta has a PP with a 707 type rating. Not sure how many hours he has though.

No. You could go spend $25-40K and buy a Type in just about any plane you wish. There is no hour minimums. Now to actually use it you're going to have to gain a lot more experience, unless you are buying your own 777. In that case you just need to hire another crew member to fly it with you.

Legally speaking, you can get your PPL in a 777. Doing ground reference maneuvers will probably get a few complaints though.

Typically, a company/airline pays for your type rating. There are exceptions though, like Southwest. They require you to have a type rating when you show up for the new hire class.

I don't think SWA still requires the type rating prior to hiring. I could be wrong about that but something niggling in the back of my brain says they changed it.

The type rating is basically an endorsement to fly a specific kind of large airplane. But endorsement doesn't sound sexy enough, so there is a different term. Anyone can get one with the proper application of time, money and effort. Somewhere there is a story about a gentleman who got a type rating in a 737 and everything he went through to do it. His checkride was his first actual time in the airplane, everything before that was simulator. Was his flight time $5000 / hour for the plane rental?

I don't think SWA still requires the type rating prior to hiring. I could be wrong about that but something niggling in the back of my brain says they changed it.

Not to get hired, but once you get hired, you need to go get it. That comes from my neighbor who just retired from Southwest last month.

Not to get hired, but once you get hired, you need to go get it. That comes from my neighbor who just retired from Southwest last month.
Well yea of course you'll need the type rating. Once you get hired, SW is paying for your type.

The problem is that he won't have an ATP. What good is a transport type rating without that? Unless he has a whole lot of money and can afford his own 777 to fly.

I believe given his experience, he's going to need to actually fly a 777 (can't do it all in the sim) to get the rating. How's that going to work?

The type rating is basically an endorsement to fly a specific kind of large airplane. But endorsement doesn't sound sexy enough, so there is a different term. Anyone can get one with the proper application of time, money and effort. Somewhere there is a story about a gentleman who got a type rating in a 737 and everything he went through to do it. His checkride was his first actual time in the airplane, everything before that was simulator. Was his flight time $5000 / hour for the plane rental?

With most Type ratings you do the checkride in the sim. The first time I actually flew the CRJ I had 50 people sitting behind me (and a company check airman beside me!) But I was Typed in it all in the sim.

He has taken to blocking those on Facebook who give him any advice contrary to what he wants to hear. He doesn't seem to get why people are criticizing him. Thin skinned. I hope he doesn't end up a statistic moving up to a SR22 Turbo right out of PPL.

Right now he is looking pretty douchey to people though. This is on the AOPA members fb group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm... Did you click on the link??
I did. It's outdated information. They changed their policy when they merged with AirTran.

Their training was always set up based on the fact that everyone coming there had the type. Once they merged with AT, they had AirTran pilots coming over that did not have a 737 type rating. They couldn't make those guys go pay for a type, since they were already pilots for SW as part of the merger. SW had to change their training program in order to be able to type the AT pilots coming over. Since they changed their program to a type rating program, they no longer require new hires to have it. They'll be typed in training.

Curious about the link. Did you have that link saved? I think it's old. I went to their website, and went to pilot careers and it doesn't mention anything about having to get a type. I think your link might be old, but the page is still there.

Since they changed their program to a type rating program, they no longer require new hires to have it. They'll be typed in training.

Thank you, this is what I was remembering. Now that you say it, I pretty clearly remember the part about having to divide pilots in the initial training class according to who had the type rating.

The brain works funny sometimes.

Curious about the link. Did you have that link saved? I think it's old. I went to their website, and went to pilot careers and it doesn't mention anything about having to get a type. I think your link might be old, but the page is still there.

Actually I got it from DuckDuckGo.

However, my neighbor, the newly retired SW pilot, told me they were still requiring types. Perhaps once all the AT guys got through, the changed back??

Last edited:
Cant anyone get a type rating if they have enough pocket change? I'm sure CAE would gladly train you :)

I had a student that was not interested in flying single engine trainers. He wanted to go straight into jets. He never mentioned a specific plane. He could identify most civilian passenger types, but just did not want to be in a trainer. He finally left me to find an instructor to teach him to "fly them jets", as he would put it.

OK, which PoA member or former member is it? Really?

This definitively doesn't help the narrative that the median American has any legitimate place in American GA. It's a problem of perception, but we're outgunned I'm afraid against the tone-deaf Ricardos that populate the upper echelons of GA (like this guy for instance). That's why I don't do YE anymore. I can't be part of that cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:
Actually I got it from DuckDuckGo.

However, my neighbor, the newly retired SW pilot, told me they were still requiring types. Perhaps once all the AT guys got through, the changed back??
No. It's here to stay. My source is a current SWA Captain who works part time in the hiring department conducting pilot interviews.

Here's a current link to their careers site:
https://pilots-southwest.icims.com/...edirect=false&jan1offset=-360&jun1offset=-300

And here's a link to the site which you apply through:
https://swa.pilotcredentials.com/index.php?a=qualifications

Last edited:
In his first post in the screenshots he says he ordered an sr20, but later says he has an sr22.

He changed his mind pretty quickly and then added the order for the jet.
He seems to move very fast.

Frankly buying any airplane brand new never makes business sense, initial depreciation is insane. You can usually get close to the same aircraft for half the price used...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankly buying any airplane brand new never makes business sense, initial depreciation is insane. You can usually get close to the same aircraft for half the price used...

Hey, don't knock him. Someone has to buy the planes new so the rest of us have something to buy used.

Last edited:
I don't think this guy is all that concerned about depreciation

Anything above 12,500 lb requires a type rating (King Air 350 ex) or a jet. I think that's how it basically reads. Thurmond Munson, pro baseball player, had at least a PPC and was typed I believe in his Cessna Citation. And he perished flying it.

Back