Anyone carry sectionals anymore?

txflyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Fly it like you STOL it ♦
Was cleaning out the plane and the hangar today and pulled out a binder from behind the co-pilot's seat in the elastic pocket with four or five year old sectionals in it. I realized I have not looked at any of them in those years.

I said to myself "screw it, what am I carrying this weight around for?"

So I tossed 'em. :rolleyes2:

I petered out, down to a TAC chart (DC/Balt) for a while, then just dropped all the paper. Jst EFB now.

Yes.

The work plane has full IFR and VFR paper, my plane as a current VFR sectional living in it, I'll print up plates and bring over IFR paper if I go IFR. For local VFR stuff I don't really need any charts or my iPad for that matter.

What's a sectional?
I thought that was a type of couch

We don't have EFBs so we carry sectionals. They are great for killing bugs in the hard to reach crevices of the airplane

Still in the trash at the hangar ..... you're giving me ideas.

Honestly, the last time I pulled out a sectional was to use it in the windscreen as a sun-shield. :wink2:

I keep them as backups but I've only used them for the same purpose

When you absolutely must depend on an electronic device, it will fail! After many years in Avionics, and as a computer hobbyist, I am convinced that trusting a computer of any kind is inviting failure. This is why I always have a back up. When the wheels leave the ground, that backup is paper. It may not always be up-to-date. But, its never more than 1 cycle out.

When you absolutely must depend on an electronic device, it will fail! After many years in Avionics, and as a computer hobbyist, I am convinced that trusting a computer of any kind is inviting failure. This is why I always have a back up. When the wheels leave the ground, that backup is paper. It may not always be up-to-date. But, its never more than 1 cycle out.

Maybe but stastically:

• Avidyne
  • 2 430s
  • Foreflight
  • avare on the phone

If all those fail, Karma is after me.
That said...
If I am renting a 172 without all that stuff, I will bring the paper as a backup.

Nope. :nono: Charts on my tablet, backups on my smart phone.

OCCASIONALLY I will print out an instrument approach on paper.

I have a subscription to DuraCharts. For the cost (cheap!) it's worth it to keep a current copy in the plane with me, even though I use foreflight.

When I fly with students locally I tend to use the sectional more than the iPad. Easier and quicker to pull it out of the side pocket and pick up a frequency or airport elevation if you have it folded right.

Maybe but stastically:

• Avidyne
  • 2 430s
  • Foreflight
  • avare on the phone

If all those fail, Karma is after me.
That said...
If I am renting a 172 without all that stuff, I will bring the paper as a backup.

+1

430, 696, iPad, smartphone ....

If all those fail at once, pop the chute! :D

I have Foreflight on the iPad and iPhone. I have a sectional and TAC as back ups, not up to date as other have mentioned. I do print out approach plates to airports I am planing to land at as a back up.

If you ever have to do an off airport crash landing a sectional can help get a signal fire going. Folded correctly it'd do well as a makeshift barf bag. Unfolded, it can hide valuables from potential thieves.

Yes.

The work plane has full IFR and VFR paper, my plane as a current VFR sectional living in it, I'll print up plates and bring over IFR paper if I go IFR. For local VFR stuff I don't really need any charts or my iPad for that matter.

Same here. Work still orders current paper that gets stuffed in the bin. Not really needed for VFR since I pretty much have our entire AO memorized. Current instrument plates for IIMC. No iPad or any other electronic device either, although I'm sure it won't be long before we go that route.

In my plane, an old chart systems sectional that covers the east coast.

I do every single flight - batteries die on those fancy tablets when you least want them to.

If I'm not flying somewhere I'm really familiar with, I usually take either two devices with charts (to have one as a backup) or one device and paper.

Carrying one, and needing one are 2 different things.

I've flown alot of cross country in the last 13 years, flown in all 50 states. Never had a need for a paper chart since my check ride and that was to make a hood because I forgot the foggles.

Last edited:
I used them on the ground for planning purposes, not current but for my use it doesn't matter.

I carry them, it's the only way I navigate, but I'm not flying half way across the country either.

I keep one in the door pocket. But it hasn't been out since I got my ticket.

I do every single flight - batteries die on those fancy tablets when you least want them to.

Of course we need a backup, but it needn't be paper. Two independent electronic systems work fine (e.g. a tablet and a phone).

There is an old Howie Keefe book of charts under the seat.
Probably old enough to vote.
But hey, if Iran decides to spoof the GPS system (already proved they know how) I can still navigate by needle, ball, and whiskey compass.
I may never have to do it and hope I do not - I really really love my GPS... :D
But like the fire extinguisher, it is there.

Last paper chart I carried was the Alcan highway chart . Keep it in the plane for kicks. Like to remind myself of the trip.

I always keep a current NY and DC in my flight bag. My iPad and foreflight are my primary navigational tools however I have had it overheat before in flight and have temporarily had to reference paper. Flying without a backup is a bit risky in my mind. Foreflight on my iPhone is not a good enough backup to me.

I just purchased a new sectional and A/F for my commercial check ride. Figured I better have a backup for the plane GPS and my foreflight because I'm sure the inevitable "what do you do if your electronics fail" question is coming. Aside from the check ride, not sure I'd be buying this stuff although it's probably a good idea.

Last edited:
As a CFI, I still carry paper.

I consider hitting students with an iPad to be a step too far, so I keep the sectionals around.

I also don't drive with a mapsco anymore.
Remember those things?

I have ForeFlight on my iPad and also on my iPhone as a backup. They each have batteries that last longer than I can remain in the air. They usually supplement the Garmin which is in the panel of just about everything I've ever rented.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I could download foreflight on my Droid and use as a backup to my iPad. They really have dropped the ball in that respect. Shouldn't have to buy an iPhone to get what I paid for.

I always have one in my flight bag as a backup, though it may not be current.

I did my BFR yesterday and find laying out a sectional to be very satisfying when planning a flight. The screens in my iThings seem too damned small sometimes.

Back