Anybody know anything about cello strings?

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
My wife has resumed playing the cello after a 35 year layoff. We had her cello reconditioned at a cello shop around 75 miles from here. They weren't able to give us an estimate on the cello, but they did offer us $5,000 for it and suggested we not sell it to anyone for less than that.

Any way, part of the reconditioning was a new set of strings that (I think) cost around $150. Maybe more. But she is not happy with one of the strings. It just doesn't sound right to her, but after paying around $700 to have the cello reconditioned, she doesn't want to put more money into it. I'd like to surprise her with a new set of strings. But I have no idea how to buy cello strings.

Any advice?

I believe I am the resident cellist. Do you know what you have? What color is the winding at the bottom?

but they did offer us $5,000 for it and suggested we not sell it to anyone for less than that.

Wow.!! And I saw the 3 stooges ride down a snowy hill on one.....

My mom's cello is sitting in the living room. She had it since college in the late 40s, early 50s and it was a used one when she got it.

Wow.!! And I saw the 3 stooges ride down a snowy hill on one.....

My mom's cello is sitting in the living room. She had it since college in the late 40s, early 50s and it was a used one when she got it.
No offense to @JOhnH but $5k is nothing. Pretty sure my college professor's was 6 figures. I never asked though.

I once went shopping at a place and asked to see their good cellos. They showed me some under $10k. I said no, your GOOD cellos. ;)

Speaking of cellos, Alisa Weilerstein has recorded the Bach suites....finally. Was hoping she would.
Whom else does everyone like?
Pierre Fournier is my fav.

Speaking of cellos, Alisa Weilerstein has recorded the Bach suites....finally. Was hoping she would.
Whom else does everyone like?
Pierre Fournier is my fav.
Leonard Rose is my fav. Yo-Yo is second.

I’ve not seen a recording of the Bach suites by Rose.

I have nothing to add to this discussion, as my only experience with a cello was when I had to learn very basic technique during my strings methods class many years ago when I thought I was going to be a music educator.

I just wanted to say that is nice to see your wife is getting back on the horse per say. good luck.

No offense to @JOhnH but $5k is nothing. Pretty sure my college professor's was 6 figures. I never asked though.

I once went shopping at a place and asked to see their good cellos. They showed me some under $10k. I said no, your GOOD cellos. ;)
No offense taken. But it was still surprising. She paid around $2k for it over 40 years ago. When the guy offered $5k cash, we knew it is probably worth twice that, but we have no idea how much. The thing is, she was having it fixed so she could donate it to a worthy cause. She thought it would be worth less than she paid for it, but when she found out it was worth more than she thought, she decided to pick it up again. And she is doing really well. She played in an orchestra in Atlanta back in the '70s and she is looking for an orchestra to join now, but with COVID . . .

I am amazed at how good she sounds, not that I have an ear for that sort of thing.

Here's my rig. I could've gotten a nicer one but I spend all my money on airplanes now. And yes, my door is decorated for Christmas. Don't ask.

20201220_185516.jpg

Sounds like she doesn't have a teacher to suggest to her what strings to use.

Jargar Strings Classic, Forte for the A + D strings, Medium for the G + C strings.

Truthfully there's a stack of variables, it may prove fruitfully prudent to ask the wife what she's unhappy about the one string. Is it sounding too bright, too dull, not warm enough...

It may even be something as obscure as her soundpost might just need adjustment.

On the other hand, maybe you should surprise her with a lesson...

I know someone...

I cannot post links due to my lack of sufficient posts posted thus far.

RR

Last edited:
a new set of strings that (I think) cost around $150.

Man, I'm so glad I pay guitar. $5 sets of strings all days long! :D

My mom plays the violin, and I was surprised enough that her strings cost (I forget) like $60 or $70? She, conversely, was quite surprised that my strings are basically disposable - I've put on a set, not liked it, and thrown it away. No big loss. Not quite the same for you and her!

Sounds like she doesn't have a teacher to suggest to her what strings to use.

Jargar Strings Classic, Forte for the A + D strings, Medium for the G + C strings.

Truthfully there's a stack of variables, it may prove fruitfully prudent to ask the wife what she's unhappy about the one string. Is it sounding too bright, too dull, not warm enough...

It may even be something as obscure as her soundpost might just need adjustment.

On the other hand, maybe you should surprise her with a lesson...

I know someone...

I cannot post links due to my lack of sufficient posts posted thus far.

RR
That's all true and I finally did ask her last night. She said she will go back to the shop that worked on it to diagnose the problem.
She considered a teacher, but with Covid, she isn't quite ready for that. Besides, she was a music major and a former orchestra player, so she isn't too sure she could find a LOCAL teacher that would know too much more than her. And she certainly knows that I don't know more than her so I lay low with the advice.

Gut strings, not steel. Steel is harsh and tinny. At least for violins, pretty sure for cellos too.

Can you play stairway on that thing?
guitar-playing-warning-e1369424437710.jpg

Besides, she was a music major and a former orchestra player, so she isn't too sure she could find a LOCAL teacher that would know too much more than her. And she certainly knows that I don't know more than her so I lay low with the advice.

To that I'd say that a second set of eyes and an independent evaluation of her skills and areas needing improvement doesn't have to come from someone more accomplished than her.

Actually, if this is her real opinion, it sounds an awful lot like someone who has thousands of flying hours, multiple type ratings, etc., but hasn't flown in 35 years, thinking that the local flight school instructors couldn't possibly teach him anything. We see that ego all the time in aviation, when in fact, the local flight school instructor may be extremely up-to-date on all kinds of things that the pilot isn't.

I get that cellos are not airplanes, but I see some parallels here, don't you? There has to be quite a bit that she's forgotten over the past 35 years. And although cello playing probably hasn't changed as much as aviation over that time (maybe it has, I don't know), there may very well be new techniques, new exercises, etc., that she doesn't know about but would be exposed to with a "newer" cello instructor.

To that I'd say that a second set of eyes and an independent evaluation of her skills and areas needing improvement doesn't have to come from someone more accomplished than her.

Actually, if this is her real opinion, it sounds an awful lot like someone who has thousands of flying hours, multiple type ratings, etc., but hasn't flown in 35 years, thinking that the local flight school instructors couldn't possibly teach him anything. We see that ego all the time in aviation, when in fact, the local flight school instructor may be extremely up-to-date on all kinds of things that the pilot isn't.

I get that cellos are not airplanes, but I see some parallels here, don't you? There has to be quite a bit that she's forgotten over the past 35 years. And although cello playing probably hasn't changed as much as aviation over that time (maybe it has, I don't know), there may very well be new techniques, new exercises, etc., that she doesn't know about but would be exposed to with a "newer" cello instructor.
All good points, and yes I see the parallels. And so does she. I think her main reason for not seeking out an instructor right now is COVID; the rest are just excuses. Also, she is a very shy introvert to the point she is nervous about even approaching an instructor. Especially now. If this stupid virus thing ever lifts I am sure she would welcome an instructor.

I could definitely see that, but it may be dependent on finding a LOCAL cello teacher. If you are in a small town, it may be slim pickings to find a cello instructor at all, much less one that has enough experience to work with those who have professional orchestral experience. I remember a story about Neil Peart meeting up with a percussion teacher and the teacher exclaiming something along the lines of "I don't think I could teach you anything", lol.

I flew Yo-Yo Ma once. I wasn't sure if I should call him Mr Ma or Yo-yo. Regardless, he was a really nice guy. His cello was in a carbon fiber case. I later learned why.

Ma's primary performance instrument is a Montagnana cello crafted in 1733 and valued at US$2.5 million.

I flew Yo-Yo Ma once. I wasn't sure if I should call him Mr Ma or Yo-yo. Regardless, he was a really nice guy. His cello was in a carbon fiber case. I later learned why.

I wouldn't have been able to resist asking him what I should call him: " Is it Mr. Ma or Master yo-yo?"

I am finding that replacing the gut string on a violin is not a trivial job. I recently re-stringed my violin, only to have the gut break a few days later. I haven't messed with it since.

I did however, discover that the violin I learned on, a mid 1800's vintage French Miracourt 3/4 size, is a tad valuable. Still have it.

Why would you pay that much when you can just mimic the sound with a $5.00 app on your ipad? [ducks and runs]

We had a cellist here in the past. His real name was Ben. I don't remember much else other than he wanted an airplane large enough to carry his cello to performances! I don't remember his POA name.

My cello tutor says his is worth around $35K, and said that was somewhat mid(ish) range.. the "good" ones are closer to, or over six figures

But she is not happy with one of the strings. It just doesn't sound right to her
I can't give much real advice, since I'm very novice to the cello only a few months into lessons. I love the sound though, an absolutely beautiful instrument.., Would you be willing to upload a sound or video sample playing through each note on the strings? Might give some more clues as to what could be causing the "funny" sound.

I like 2Cellos. The other group is Break of Reality GOT cover and System of a Down (the streak at 0:33 is great).. but my favorite "contemporary" is Takenobu, the dude is extremely talented

..and while I'm temporarily geeking out here, Tobias Hume (poor guy sort of "lost it" eventually) is under appreciated

We had a cellist here in the past. His real name was Ben. I don't remember much else other than he wanted an airplane large enough to carry his cello to performances! I don't remember his POA name.
exactly what I was trying to come up with. You did one better than me by remembering his name.

Gut strings, not steel. Steel is harsh and tinny. At least for violins, pretty sure for cellos too.

I'm a violinist... professional, not hobbyist..and twenty to thirty years ago I would have agreed with you. In my early years, I used primarily Pirastro Black Labels, Gold Labels, and Eudoxa strings depending upon the violin I was playing... all wound gut strings. All-steel strings are, indeed, awful and useful only on beginning instruments just for their relative longevity and toughness. The sound is terrible.

Having said that, the newer synthetic strings are of increasingly high quality and sound, and their longevity falls between gut and steel strings. I would recommend them over gut strings at this point; the quality of sound can be excellent, and the temperature stability, longevity, and price points are better than gut strings. D'Addario Zyex strings are surprisingly good at their price point, and I like them better than Thomastik Dominant strings, although I'm in the slight minority position on that comparison usually. Pirastro Obligatos have been my personal string of choice in recent years.

My experience with cello strings is limited to my experience teaching middle school through advanced high school students. For my intermediate students, the D'Addario Helicore strings were particularly long-lived with a decent sound at a low price-point, but they didn't have as nice a sound as more expensive strings. The Thomastik Spirocore strings sounded better, but didn't last for beans.... very unforgiving with students. For the best students, with very good to excellent instruments, we usually found that getting the best sound required mixing and matching strings, which is a much more common practice on celli than it is on violins. Frequently, we'd end up with Spirocore on the bottom two strings, then Jargar up top. Frequently, a Kaplan A really made an instrument come alive. Every cello, bow, string, and player have to find their own synergy.

Here's some examples...

https://www.swstrings.com/catalog/strings/cello?page=3

I'm a violinist... professional, not hobbyist..and twenty to thirty years ago I would have agreed with you. In my early years, I used primarily Pirastro Black Labels, Gold Labels, and Eudoxa strings depending upon the violin I was playing... all wound gut strings. All-steel strings are, indeed, awful and useful only on beginning instruments just for their relative longevity and toughness. The sound is terrible.

Having said that, the newer synthetic strings are of increasingly high quality and sound, and their longevity falls between gut and steel strings. I would recommend them over gut strings at this point; the quality of sound can be excellent, and the temperature stability, longevity, and price points are better than gut strings. D'Addario Zyex strings are surprisingly good at their price point, and I like them better than Thomastik Dominant strings, although I'm in the slight minority position on that comparison usually. Pirastro Obligatos have been my personal string of choice in recent years.

My experience with cello strings is limited to my experience teaching middle school through advanced high school students. For my intermediate students, the D'Addario Helicore strings were particularly long-lived with a decent sound at a low price-point, but they didn't have as nice a sound as more expensive strings. The Thomastik Spirocore strings sounded better, but didn't last for beans.... very unforgiving with students. For the best students, with very good to excellent instruments, we usually found that getting the best sound required mixing and matching strings, which is a much more common practice on celli than it is on violins. Frequently, we'd end up with Spirocore on the bottom two strings, then Jargar up top. Frequently, a Kaplan A really made an instrument come alive. Every cello, bow, string, and player have to find their own synergy.

Here's some examples...

https://www.swstrings.com/catalog/strings/cello?page=3

Lol, well, I stopped playing over 30 years ago, so there you go. My mom and dad told me I'd regret it, and I do.

Back