Anybody ever land, or take off in a cave?

Dav8or

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave
OK, we've all seen it in the movies. The evil bad organization has a secret landing strip concealed inside a mountain, the door opens up and the plane either flies out of the cave, or it lands into it. My question is, has anyone ever done this in real life? Has there ever been an airstrip inside a cave?

I hope someone has done it and with video proof, I'd love to see that (done safely of course)

maule_hanger.jpg

OK, we've all seen it in the movies. The evil bad organization has a secret landing strip concealed inside a mountain, the door opens up and the plane either flies out of the cave, or it lands into it. My question is, has anyone ever done this in real life? Has there ever been an airstrip inside a cave?

Don't know above caves, but the Japanese had airfields underneath camouflaged nets in WWII.

Let me guess... You recently saw Kingsman: The Secret Service?

Hell, I'd do it inverted in a Pitts, with a tailwind, and without a medical..

Yeah I do it all the time with that secret helicopter I stole from the government in the 1980's. You might have seen me on TV.;)

I've taken off in CAVU.

every time I've ridden in a mooney I've felt like I was looking out the mouth of a cave

I work in the film industry & we often fly helicopters below bridges - even below the Brooklyn Bridge pre 2001.

There's been a couple instances where helicopters have flown through warehouse buildings.

Personally I don't know of any fixed wing take off & landings though...

A guy that owned a flight school/FBO I knew was a Captain and an Air Force IP at Moody AFB Ga when this happened, early/mid 60s maybe. Moody used Spence (where this occurred) as an auxillary base for the trainers (T37&T38) and he was in their observation tower when a Maule employee came out and told them to watch the hangar entrance.

Someone posted a video a while back of an airplane flying through a hangar, which was pretty sweet.

TV Shows. There was a Sky King episode with a cub or similar landing into a cave with a huge fan in the cave creating a headwind.

I work in the film industry & we often fly helicopters below bridges - even below the Brooklyn Bridge pre 2001.

There's been a couple instances where helicopters have flown through warehouse buildings.

Personally I don't know of any fixed wing take off & landings though...

If anybody had actually done it, I would have thought the Hollywood stunt fliers would have. I guess all the stuff I've seen in the movies has always been strictly models, CGI and mat paintings I guess.

It was a TV series called Jet Jackson and Captain Midnight (same cast, same concept)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esbdGWy2bTA

Just a thought but would that add... oh I don't know... some type of ceiling effect?

What about in "Air America"?
Mel Gibson lands that plane in the back of a C-130.

That one N. Korean airfield looks to be the closest as the article says the runway is partly inside a hill. Sure would like to see pictures of that place.

Kangda-ri-Airfield-25-Dec-2014-Google-Earth.png
there seems to be a lot of open space right across the river

Back