Anybody been to the Oshkosh fly in?

Anybody want to depart MIC on the Saturday or Sunday before the show starts and stay at OSH the entire week? I'll be flying a Warrior or Archer so there may be weight limitations. PM me. :D

There's usually off-field housing of some sort (often someone's spare room or a room in the convent I got one year), there's a housing hotline on the site.

Off-field housing is limited this year due to one of the tower buildings at the college being shut down for reservations. Lots less dorms to handle the usual load. Most of the "usual" places are sold-out due to this.

Thus, why I posted that the website has all info. Every year something changes, and advice given here is often out of date. The website is updated.

Read the website folks. ;)

OK, what days are you going though? I don't have a tent or sleeping bag, or air mattress, or even anything, and I'm not an EAA member, and if I brought camping supplies I'd have to check my luggage.

Don't think I will go. Too many complications.... sorry. I like planning and all, but - this just seems like a "big deal" and I'm content now to stick with something easy like fly with the BF to Philly for some awesome cheese steaks and POA friends.

There are rooms in houses that people rent and sub out for rent available as well, last time I rented a couple years back I got one for $375 for the duration. Post up threads saying you're looking for a room for Osh. Or maybe Tim can bring some gear for you.;)

OK, what days are you going though? I don't have a tent or sleeping bag, or air mattress, or even anything, and I'm not an EAA member, and if I brought camping supplies I'd have to check my luggage.

You can ride the Airventure shuttle bus to Target and buy an air mattress. I didn't think I needed one but ended up buying one after the 2nd night. :rolleyes::rofl:

You can ride the Airventure shuttle bus to Target and buy an air mattress. I didn't think I needed one but ended up buying one after the 2nd night. :rolleyes::rofl:

The new queen-sized air mattresses changed EVERYTHING about camping at Oshkosh for the better. In the olden days (you know...the early '90s) air mattresses always lost air, were only 3" thick, and by morning you were sleeping on the ground.

Now, we add air once, mid-week, and that's it. Better yet, you're 10" in the air, so when the inevitable Oshkosh gully-washer hits, you (and all of your stuff) remain dry, even if the tent bottom leaks.

We've got three of them -- one for us, and two full-sized ones for the kids, who each have their own "wing" of the tent.

BTW: This year we ordered a new tent with over 20 tie-down points, after having ours shredded at OSH 2011 by straight-line winds. It's sitting in OSH right now, and the first time we will ever lay eyes on it will be in the North 40 after we land. Won't THAT be fun, trying to set up a tent we've never seen before? :lol:

BTW: This year we ordered a new tent with over 20 tie-down points, after having ours shredded at OSH 2011 by straight-line winds. It's sitting in OSH right now, and the first time we will ever lay eyes on it will be in the North 40 after we land. Won't THAT be fun, trying to set up a tent we've never seen before? :lol:

What did you get? I'm in the market for a new tent.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

What did you get? I'm in the market for a new tent.

Right now I'm running a three-man tent (meaning sufficiently roomy for two) from Sierra Designs. My other tent is a two-man dome tent from REI (roomy for one, cramped for two). I've had both in high winds, thunderstorms, and quite a bit of Oshkosh wx. Neither has ever leaked a drop or blown over. They are pricier than those things you pick up at Cabellas. My philosophy has always been that my vacations are few and far between, and having them ruined because all my stuff got wet is not worth the aggravation or the extra hundred bucks I spent on good tents. I doubt either would take a queen sized mattress, which is fine by me. My thermarest has always been plenty comfy for me, but I am a rather avid backpacker from a long time ago.

I've got a Moss 4-man (really, 3) tent that was hand-made for me back in 1988. I paid over $400 for the stupid thing (what's that, like a million bucks in today's money?) -- but it is STILL entirely waterproof, after many years of motorcycle camping. You could turn it upside down, and use it as a boat. It is the best quality item I have ever owned.

Sadly, it's too small to use at OSH, where we need to bunk four people for a week. The new tent is from Cabela's, but I'll be darned if I can remember the brand. (Maybe Timberline?) After OSH last year, we visited their San Marcos store, and told the rep we wanted a tent that could survive a hurricane -- and he pointed us to the one we bought.

I didn't get it that day -- I waited for it to go on sale on their website, and then had it drop-shipped to my buddy in WI, who has put it in our trailer. (He promised to only take "a couple" of the poles out of the box -- what a guy!) The first time I will ever lay eyes on that tent will be in the North 40, after we unload the trailer.

Doesn't THAT sound like fun, in 95 degrees, and 95% humidity? lol

When checking in for camping, do you get an assigned spot or is it a free for all?

Hoping to find a way to camp near other POA groups if possible for my first trip to OSH.

When checking in for camping, do you get an assigned spot or is it a free for all?

Hoping to find a way to camp near other POA groups if possible for my first trip to OSH.

In Scholler it is a free for all... if ya want a good spot you need to show up a week or two early.... Same with plane camping.... The homebuilt camping area fills up slower and you have a better chance to a good spot.

Trick to any good spot is to pick one close to but not real close porta potties, showers and bus stops....:yesnod:

Best if you own an old plane, Vintage Camping gets the best spots. I showed up late last year and got put into a premium spot, I got super lucky with that as I was right about where all the planes are Rotating or rolling out. Plus I was a 5 minute walk from the Square and could hear the concerts from my tent.

5997672711_ba2f289b74_b.jpg

Last edited:
In Scholler it is a free for all... if ya want a good spot you need to show up a week or two early.... Same with plane camping.... The homebuilt camping area fills up slower and you have a better chance to a good spot.

Trick to any good spot is to pick one close to but not real close porta potties, showers and bus stops....:yesnod:

A week or two early is a mild exaggeration. There are plenty of spots, and plenty of porta potties.

The Prellwitz' and I have spent the last couple of times together out near US 41. Still a reasonable walk to the nearest shower facility, and easy in/out when we want to get to town. The road noise is the only drawback.

A week or two early is a mild exaggeration. There are plenty of spots, and plenty of porta potties.

The Prellwitz' and I have spent the last couple of times together out near US 41. Still a reasonable walk to the nearest shower facility, and easy in/out when we want to get to town. The road noise is the only drawback.

Tim... I did say "good spots" as in the trees up front... Honestly I have camped about where you described and it was not bad... The road noise goes away after the third beer anyway..:yesnod::wink2::lol:

We haven't truly decided what mode of accommodation we're going with this year. The house rental thing never seemed to gain momentum, maybe because of my own heel dragging. We'll probably camp again. Don't know if Leslie's mother, or maybe sister, will join us. Our tent is large enough that we could house another four or five people if needed! (It's ostensibly a 10 person tent, and it's generally just Leslie and me!)

Your spot out near the highway was also a lot less muddy than Doug & I's spot out near the ultralight emergency strip last year.

We we stomping through 6-8" of mud anytime we crossed a "road".

I am betting it is some pink foo foo drink with little umbrellas in it.:yesnod::wink2:
Pink? Umbrellas? :no:

Try beer. And here's where I go girly on you: Light beer, please. :yesnod:

Don't think I will go. Too many complications.... sorry. I like planning and all, but - this just seems like a "big deal" and I'm content now to stick with something easy like fly with the BF to Philly for some awesome cheese steaks and POA friends.

NO!!! don't think that way. If Tracy and I are comming from the east coast you should have no issues with getting out here. Between Tracy, Tim and I, we should be able to hook you up with camping gear. You should be able to stay in one of our tents, I know I have a spare sleeping bag & camping chair not sure about an air matress.

I also met one Father & Daughter who flew in from Cali every year with all the gear! They fly SW so they can each have 2 suitcases no charge and they buy a disposable styfoam cooler, paper plates, pasticware and propane every year but they even bring cooking stuff! So meeting people with camping stuff should be EASY!

Come on!!!! GIRL PILOTS ROCK!

Scholler is a free for all, This is when it pays to have friends from Chicigo who can get there early and stake out a spot! Then you just have to find the POA compound and set up the tent. I'm getting SOOOO EXCITED!!!!!

Two things:
1) I don't do frozen margaritas. :no:
2) I think we have a spare queen size air mattress.

Two things:
1) I don't do frozen margaritas. :no:
2) I think we have a spare queen size air mattress.

Please accept my sincere apologies, I didn’t' mean to offend the Margarita God!!! I was just thinking frozen would be great due to the heat of Osh, but if there is some reason that frozen is sacrilege I withdraw the request!!! (Can I still have the Fu Fu pink umbrella?)

I plan on traveling to Osh this year. My son and I will camp in the North 40.

KSNA-KOSH

Hope to meet some of you all

Andy

You all are wonderful but honestly I'm just not sure. I kinda wanted to go to Wings.

Two completely different things, but yeah. I haven't been to the fly in but I've been to the airport, it's pretty cool; too bad it's so dead and in New Jersey.:lol:;) However the airport is no where near as cool as OSH during Airventure lol.

If you have to choose one event for the season, choose OSH though at least this year. You're a "drink from the fire hose" type person, well, OSH is the freakin fire main that all the hoses spray from. It's all right there, and you'll also see the types of resources available to you when you go back in the "swapmeet" section. OSH shows you everything that is available to you (almost) in GA in one closed perimeter along with social and educational programs out the ying yang.

As far as the people go, most of those at Wings will be at OSH along with Steve Miller Band this year. Nothing good is easy, wear 'quick dry' clothes and bunk in where you can. There's gonna be a place for you to sleep, don't worry, pilots take care of their own. Some of the best times I've had were on unplanned RONs where someone took me home.

Two completely different things, but yeah. I haven't been to the fly in but I've been to the airport, it's pretty cool; too bad it's so dead and in New Jersey.:lol:;) However the airport is no where near as cool as OSH during Airventure lol.

If you have to choose one event for the season, choose OSH though at least this year. You're a "drink from the fire hose" type person, well, OSH is the freakin fire main that all the hoses spray from. It's all right there, and you'll also see the types of resources available to you when you go back in the "swapmeet" section. OSH shows you everything that is available to you (almost) in GA in one closed perimeter along with social and educational programs out the ying yang.

As far as the people go, most of those at Wings will be at OSH along with Steve Miller Band this year. Nothing good is easy, wear 'quick dry' clothes and bunk in where you can. There's gonna be a place for you to sleep, don't worry, pilots take care of their own. Some of the best times I've had were on unplanned RONs where someone took me home.

Well I do think the BF wanted to go, and he has camping gear.

Nevermind. Southwest is $1000 (for both of us) leaving on Tuesday and coming home on Sunday (I only get 12 days of vacation each year so I'd rather take only 4 days off).

Our baggage may have fees since it is odd shaped (if we bring camping gear).

$40 to join EAA

Camping is $24 / night, three night minimum (Tues - Sat = $120)

Dorms / Hotels (some sold out) are more.

Rental car (Southwest flight is only to Milwaukee, which is 90 miles from the airventure site): $280

Gas: $100

Parking: $9 per day x 6 days - $54

Getting in - weekly pass - two passes at $115 each - $230

Food: $40 per day x 6 days - $240 (times two) $500

So - $2,400 minimum. Just can't do it.

Nevermind. Southwest is $1000 (for both of us) leaving on Tuesday and coming home on Sunday (I only get 12 days of vacation each year so I'd rather take only 4 days off).

$40 to join EAA

Rental car (Southwest flight is only to Milwaukee, which is 90 miles from the airventure site): $280

Hanging out at one of the largest aviation events in the world with all your friends... Priceless. :)

Hanging out at one of the largest aviation events in the world with all your friends... Priceless. :)

Oh geez. Look, I'd love to, but right now I need new tires and driving in this rain is getting scary. After that, new brakes, then a "major" service, plus a new side mirror and some manifold exhaust leak. I just can't go on vacation when routine stuff here needs my $$

$40 to join EAA

No parking for campers... (including in camping) Not that $54 is going to change anything. :nonod:

Back