Anybody been to the Oshkosh fly in?

Only place in the world where you can plug you Phone, Camera and laptop in at the shower building unattended and come back 2 hours later and they are still there.
Oh cool, so you're saying I can have a new iphone (ok, used) if I go? :lol:

Now this could be a lot of fun. I probably won't be there the whole time... hmmmm. Yes, figuring out the logistics would be difficult, but I'm game to try to make this work. Missa, would you be camping?

If you want to camp you have to fly in and camp with your plane; even if it is a rental. Get a 182 and 2 more people to share. Drive into OSH, I couldn't bear the shame... :popcorn:

Oh cool, so you're saying I can have a new iphone (ok, used) if I go? :lol:

You might have it, but you won't be able to use it...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The cell phone situation for OSH is a freaking travesty and always has been. Whoever owns that local service has some powerful friends, that's for damned sure. He has a lock there that is J. Edgar Hoover Award worthy.

Drive into OSH, I couldn't bear the shame... :popcorn:
You know what Henning? I'm going to find you and duct tape you and force you in the car... then I'm going to drive you to OSH and tell everyone that HENNING DROVE HERE. I'll have tee shirts made.

OK let's shoot for this. I like it. No ganging up on me.
Oh you'll be ganged up on. It's written on the back of our girl cards-- when two or more girls are together they gang up on the sole boy. Sorry. Them's the rules.

You know what Henning? I'm going to find you and duct tape you and force you in the car... then I'm going to drive you to OSH and tell everyone that HENNING DROVE HERE. I'll have tee shirts made.

You and your stuffed gnome army may end up on the wrong side of a roll of tape in an airplane lol. Never bring a weapon or tool to a fight you can't defend yourself against.

Rookie. ;) I've been going since 1966. It was first held in Rockford, IL, my home town.

Back then ATC was a guy sitting on a 5 gallon bucket with red and green flags for landing instructions. Radios were scarce. I wanted that job! :D About 100 planes showed up. It has grown a little since then. I was pretty young. ;)

An aside: If you go to the AAA fly-in, held annually in Blakesburg, IA, they still have flagmen doing ATC duty, and radios are still scarce.

AAA (Antique Aircraft Association) and EAA both started the same year, but went in VERY different directions. AAA is completely non-commercial, quite by choice. If you ever get the chance to attend, it is very much worthwhile.

You and your stuffed gnome army may end up on the wrong side of a roll of tape in an airplane lol.
:rofl: Me and my stuffed gnome army! I have nothing to do with that stuffed gnome. My gig is Flat Stanley. And Flat Stanley doesn't end up on the wrong side of duct tape for nothin'. :nonod:

OK let's shoot for this. I like it. No ganging up on me.

Cool, so how many people can you round up in the Lear and what's our share cost?

BTW "Shotgun"

Is it old enough to get into Vintage Camping? Where they put twins and bigger stuff is pretty cool.

Oh you'll be ganged up on. It's written on the back of our girl cards-- when two or more girls are together they gang up on the sole boy. Sorry. Them's the rules.

Unless Said boy Shelps EVERYTHING for the Girls. :wink2::blowingkisses:

Let's try to figure this out, this could be a lot of fun. And then I could hang around/annoy not one, but TWO poa'ers! lol

Oh no, we camp in the compound so it shall be at least 2 more with Grant and Leslie. One night we make the trek to the north 40 for Jay's party and there is the Thrusday night Babes dinner which will still happen. Kent will float in at some time... it will just be 2 on the road in.

Last edited:
OK I'm sold... and Shotgun will be a rotating position.

I'm fine with shleping stuff for Da Gurls... I'd do that anyway.

Unless Said boy Shelps EVERYTHING for the Girls. :wink2::blowingkisses:

I haven't heard of Shelping, but if it's like Felching...:sosp: So long as the women do the shlepping I'm open to other things....

So, how hard is it to rideshare via air? The wife and I will go for the first time this year, but we've VERY low time pilots with no airplane. So it's looking like a long drive, or hitching a ride with someone.

Anyone feel like accepting some gas money to stop at KLUK and pick up some passengers?

I haven't heard of Shelping, but if it's like Felching...:sosp: So long as the women do the shlepping I'm open to other things....
OMG Henning, I just googled that word. :yikes: I don't think I'll ever have an appetite again. :yikes::no:

So, how hard is it to rideshare via air? The wife and I will go for the first time this year, but we've VERY low time pilots with no airplane. So it's looking like a long drive, or hitching a ride with someone.

Anyone feel like accepting some gas money to stop at KLUK and pick up some passengers?

maybe we should get a full size van?? We will be going through OH, but you would have to make it up to I-80. lol. ;)

Last edited:
maybe we should get a full size van?? We will be going through OH, but you would have to make it up to I-80. lol. ;)

That could work, and If we get one of the bigger vans it could even be comfy! Just depends on how lightly people can pack.

That could work, and If we get one of the bigger vans it could even be comfy! Just depends on how lightly people can pack.
I'm the queen of packing light. :yesnod: So there's that.

I just can't see the draw of it. Spending several days camping on airport grounds with scores of people in either hot scorching weather, or swampy rainy weather, spending days milling around with throngs and throngs of people, dealing with airspace darkening flocks of traffic, many of whom have not flown since the last Oshkosh. I just cannot justify the expense of flying that far. None of the seminars really appeal to me, My wife and I are not really crowd people, so what would be the point?

Maybe I need my certificate yanked.:dunno:

That's the negative stuff (although you forgot the shower house experience, not for the bashful)... but it's not all like that. I've always camped on the field (drove 1000 miles each way twice; flew in once), which is the best way to pretty much have the whole place to yourself if you can rally at dawn. No grueling traffic getting in or out of the place every day by car, either. At dawn or dusk,you can actually look at, and take pictures of, the thousands of beautiful planes without people in the way. There are other quiet, hassle-free times and places to just sit and watch aircraft... like at the seaplane base, for example, or the ultralight field.
Then there's all the seminars, talks given by famous aviators, workshops, the trade booths,the flea market, the latest stuff, the oldest stuff, the small but very cool museum, making new friends and bumping into old ones... and then there's the airshows. One every day, and now they do them at night, too. Every airshow has its ugly flipside (too many people!), but the airborne entertainment at Airventure is world-class. And before and after the show, without the non-flying crowd there, it's still a bit crowded, but it's like being at a huge family reunion. Everyone around you is "one of those flying nuts"; I can think of much worse crowds to be surrounded by.
Airventure has gotten huge,and definitely intimidating for first-timers, but as long as you're willing to relax and just enjoy what's good about it, it's still just a really cool fly-in.

My tips for beginners:
Try to stay all week. This way, you can make a plan every day (get the schedule before you go), and get the most out of a few interesting things every day. Otherwise, you stumble around trying to see it all quickly and discover later that you missed some really cool stuff.

Beware the sun, and the inevitable brief almost-daily shower or T-storm. Comfy shoes, sunblock,a good hat, and a water-resistant layer of some kind that's easy to carry. I always have a backpack with just a few essentials like that, and room for stuff I might buy.

If you are camping, bring a bicycle or make time to go over to the nearby Salvation Army store to buy a cheap clunker and donate it back before you leave. The Camp Scholler sites nearest the flight line are highly coveted, and at this point, you will not get one for this year, or probably even next year. My first visit, I was way off by the highway, and wasted a lot of time marching to and fro. Second time, I got wise and brought a bike, and it was a whole 'nother experience. Even rode all around the outside of the airport one day, and really enjoyed that (plane watching off the ends of the runways, and peering through the fence at the Basler "boneyard").Last time, I was in the north forty plane-camping, and even that was a bit of a pain without a bicycle (would've done the thrift-store bike thing, but I was only there two days). A bike would be helpful for excursions into town, too, although I haven't done that. Next time I go to Airventure, I want to hang out a little bit in Oshkosh itself; seems like a neat little town.

I can't advise much on flying in, as I've only done it once, as a pax... but obviously there are much more knowledgeable types chiming in here.

Damit, I thought I was on the top! Specially since I'm Caira approved ;)
You had an advantage - there was cake!
ciara_cake_lg.jpg

From the 2006 WINGS Fly-B-Q.

Hmm just realized that if we rent an SUV with a trailer hitch - I've got a bike rack, and a spare bike for Tracey.

Last edited:
You might have it, but you won't be able to use it...:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The cell phone situation for OSH is a freaking travesty and always has been. Whoever owns that local service has some powerful friends, that's for damned sure. He has a lock there that is J. Edgar Hoover Award worthy.

My phone worked fine the last couple of years, and when you travel to the back of the daily car parking lots, there were AT&T and Verizon COW trailers deployed. They pull them into a fenced off area with a fiber hut back there. They probably light up a DS3 or fractional DS3 just for the show week and a few days prior and after.

The WiFi coverage has also gotten consistently better every year for the last few years ago. I sat with Dave Pascoe from LiveATC.Net in the Ford pavilion where he was logged into his systems fixing a problem from his laptop.

It wasn't smokin' fast or anything, but a quick SSH session and he was done. (We just happened to meet up there while he was working on it. I think he had also gotten a call from his day job to fix something, so was killing two birds with one stone.)

What is the "cellular lock" you speak of? The major carriers seem to give it a reasonable try, for all the phones present in a single location.

The further from "ground zero" in the Square that you get, especially if you head out near the highway in Scholler, cellular coverage is as good as one would expect in any small rural town. Slow but works.

I updated expiring Foreflight charts while I was in my tent one night. Powered the iPad from the Yukon and went to bed. Fresh charts in the morning.

The last couple of times I was at OSH I had good,, not great, but good cell coverage and the wifi was adaquate.. I mostly was based at the Zenith booth or show center sitting in the Alliance suite....

My phone worked fine the last couple of years, and when you travel to the back of the daily car parking lots, there were AT&T and Verizon COW trailers deployed. They pull them into a fenced off area with a fiber hut back there. They probably light up a DS3 or fractional DS3 just for the show week and a few days prior and after.

The WiFi coverage has also gotten consistently better every year for the last few years ago. I sat with Dave Pascoe from LiveATC.Net in the Ford pavilion where he was logged into his systems fixing a problem from his laptop.

It wasn't smokin' fast or anything, but a quick SSH session and he was done. (We just happened to meet up there while he was working on it. I think he had also gotten a call from his day job to fix something, so was killing two birds with one stone.)

What is the "cellular lock" you speak of? The major carriers seem to give it a reasonable try, for all the phones present in a single location.

The further from "ground zero" in the Square that you get, especially if you head out near the highway in Scholler, cellular coverage is as good as one would expect in any small rural town. Slow but works.

I updated expiring Foreflight charts while I was in my tent one night. Powered the iPad from the Yukon and went to bed. Fresh charts in the morning.

Correct. This has gotten much better.

I was in Vintage Camping out by the 195s and nobody had phone you could use, we all had to go hike a good ways.
Normally an event of even smaller magnitude sees way more temp gear set up than at Osh.

Why bring a phone when you can go old fashion and bring a ham radio? I am working towards mine right now!

But all this oshkosh talk is killing me to get my license! What a great motivator

I was in Vintage Camping out by the 195s and nobody had phone you could use, we all had to go hike a good ways.
Normally an event of even smaller magnitude sees way more temp gear set up than at Osh.

Seems the EAA spent all the money on providing good food vendors then on the wireless network..:nonod::nonod::nonod::D:rolleyes2:

There's 2 definitions, did you get the Lemmiwinks version or the 2 girls and a cup version?
I tried googling again and I don't get anything other than that :yikes: first definition that I found. :nonod:

Back