Anybody been to the Oshkosh fly in?

I just can't see the draw of it. Spending several days camping on airport grounds with scores of people in either hot scorching weather, or swampy rainy weather, spending days milling around with throngs and throngs of people, dealing with airspace darkening flocks of traffic, many of whom have not flown since the last Oshkosh. I just cannot justify the expense of flying that far. None of the seminars really appeal to me, My wife and I are not really crowd people, so what would be the point?

As you describe it I can't see the draw of it either. Fortunately, it's not as you describe it.

We went for the first time in 2010, Sploshkosh. We rented a pop-up camper and had an amazing experience. We kept hearing that you will not be prepared for the enormity of the event so we expected something gargantuan. We were prepared with water, sunscreen, walking shoes, caps, sunglasses and back pain medication. We read everything and even made ourselves a schedule of what to see on which days. Even with all that preparation we could not believe the scale of it. We took in the museum, the pioneer field, the sea plane base, the ultralight area, and everything in the warbirds area. We started at 7 am and ended after the Theater in the Woods programs. We met movie stars and famous aviators everywhere. We sat in as many cockpits as we could. I took over 4,000 photos. We attended every air show. Jack Roush crashed right were we were sitting in our lawn chairs just 15 minutes after we left. Everything was so exciting! It took a lot of work and planning on our part as 3 of traveled from California via the airlines. We hope to return in the next couple of years in our Mooney and camp under (or next to) the wing. Camping onsite was the best way to experience Oshkosh. Everyone was your friend and the Leinenkugles were everywhere. We never saw anyone rowdy and out-of-control. It was the most civilized group of folks I had ever seen.

Make every effort to go. Read everything you can. Ask questions. Plan your stay and stick to your schedule. Plan on getting sore and tired. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. It truly is a site to behold. It beckons me back like Yosemite.

-Sven

STEVE MILLER BAND is opening the show! Finally a band with the original front man, who can still play and sing.

I'm so psyched.

We went for the first time in 2010, Sploshkosh. We rented a pop-up camper and had an amazing experience. We kept hearing that you will not be prepared for the enormity of the event so we expected something gargantuan. We were prepared with water, sunscreen, walking shoes, caps, sunglasses and back pain medication. We read everything and even made ourselves a schedule of what to see on which days. Even with all that preparation we could not believe the scale of it. We took in the museum, the pioneer field, the sea plane base, the ultralight area, and everything in the warbirds area. We started at 7 am and ended after the Theater in the Woods programs. We met movie stars and famous aviators everywhere. We sat in as many cockpits as we could. I took over 4,000 photos. We attended every air show. Jack Roush crashed right were we were sitting in our lawn chairs just 15 minutes after we left. Everything was so exciting! It took a lot of work and planning on our part as 3 of traveled from California via the airlines. We hope to return in the next couple of years in our Mooney and camp under (or next to) the wing. Camping onsite was the best way to experience Oshkosh. Everyone was your friend and the Leinenkugles were everywhere. We never saw anyone rowdy and out-of-control. It was the most civilized group of folks I had ever seen.

Make every effort to go. Read everything you can. Ask questions. Plan your stay and stick to your schedule. Plan on getting sore and tired. Be prepared to be overwhelmed. It truly is a site to behold. It beckons me back like Yosemite.

-Sven

Sounds like a typical ol boring OSH to me. ;)

Attached; memorabilia from my 2nd or 3rd osh. At the risk of revealing just how old I am. Yes they had osh back then. Yes they had airplanes back then!
Leo L. won the FAIs for the US that year.
Still have the mug in use.

Attachments

• oshcup.JPG
    oshcup.JPG
    273.2 KB · Views: 22
If you're going to camp, do you need to reserve a spot?

And if you fly in on your 737 ;) are there shuttles that'll bring you there?

If you're going to camp, do you need to reserve a spot?

And if you fly in on your 737 ;) are there shuttles that'll bring you there?

The way car camping works is that you buy a pass that gives you room for a vehicle and a tent. Plane camping gives you room for your plane and a tent. Often folks who are going to meet each other in camp scholler (car camping) will "stake out" room for the friends that they know will show up. Sometimes the guy who will be there first will buy all the camp passes for the "compound" and then will sell them back to the others as they show up.

If you want to come out and camp, you have a couple of options.
You can fly yourself (expensive for renters due to minimums) and maybe share costs with someone.
You can drive yourself out (two days with kids) and camp.
You can ride out with someone if you'll be on the same schedule.
Or you can fly to Green Bay or Milwaukee or Chicago, and I'll pick you up on the day you come in and take you back when you need to leave. (or perhaps someone else will).

I'm going to be there for opening day to say hello to Steve Miller :rockon: through the closing Sunday to say goodbye to Moxie :(. I'm going to drive, either in the Miata and pull a small trailer with camping gear, or rent a slightly bigger vehicle for the week.

That offer of a transport to/from the airport goes for anybody else who might come in commercially.

We often do. I'll be starting a cellphone list again this year in the May timeframe using a GoogleDocs spreadsheet. We can probably use that as a springboard for planning a group camp experience.

The last couple of years I've stayed with the Prellwitz' (because they're great companions and Leslie's an awesome cook) but this year I think they're airplane camping. I'm bringing gear (stove, table, coolers) so that I (and others) can cook as well as eating locally.

We went in 2007 & 2009. We didn't go last year due to my wife's hip replacement surgery so we are looking forward to going this year. Because of my wife's surgeries and such we don't do the camping thing. We fly commercial into MKE, rent a car and stay in West Bend.

Looking forward to it, unless I find gainful employment before then and can't get the time.

For those that haven't gone, something Tim said needs clarification. He mentioned the Prellwitz's are airplane camping.

The "North 40" is quite a hike from Camp Scholler. Thus why Tim pointed out they're staying up there.

To get a feel for the enormity of the show, pull up the airport diagram.

That's a two mile runway at basically sea level. North 40 is south of Runway 28 in the grass.

Scholler is 100 small "blocks" deep and over a mile long from just behind the woods to the West of Runway 35 all the way to the highway. It's a small city, complete with Police and Fire services where kids can still ride bikes after dark and be kids, and everyone's friendly.

There's really no way to describe it. Staying on the grounds is incredible. If you feel like walking up to the airplanes parked in the square in the mist at midnight, you can. A few hundred yards away, folks are watching a movie at the outdoor Theatre in the Woods. And a short school bus ride away is your tent.

Or, if you're an early bird, wake up early and take amazing photos of hundreds of aircraft in the Dawna's early light. Photographer's dream.

Lots more. That's just a small bit of it.

Slickhutto's annual videos are great too. Someone posted one of those. His YouTube channel is worth subscribing to. He has an eye for it all.

Been thinking of flying in myself this year. It would be my first time. How difficult are the fly in procedures for a first timer?

I've flown there 3 times in my Arrow. I always overnight nearby and get there early on Sunday. Never as busy in the morning as my home base on a nice day.
If you get there later, watch out.

We often do. I'll be starting a cellphone list again this year in the May timeframe using a GoogleDocs spreadsheet. We can probably use that as a springboard for planning a group camp experience.

The last couple of years I've stayed with the Prellwitz' (because they're great companions and Leslie's an awesome cook) but this year I think they're airplane camping. I'm bringing gear (stove, table, coolers) so that I (and others) can cook as well as eating locally.
Actually, airplane camping is probably one of the few things we won't be doing, as we don't have an airplane. The other is staying in a hotel. We'll either be camping in Camp Scholler, in which case we can serve as the point team again and try to grab a large spot, or we will rent a house. There's always an off chance that we'll stay with relatives, but doubtful (though we did during Sloshkosh :)).

Actually, airplane camping is probably one of the few things we won't be doing, as we don't have an airplane. The other is staying in a hotel. We'll either be camping in Camp Scholler, in which case we can serve as the point team again and try to grab a large spot, or we will rent a house. There's always an off chance that we'll stay with relatives, but doubtful (though we did during Sloshkosh :)).

People do rent airplanes and airplane camp, ya know! ;)

But if you're in Scholler I'll be happy to be a kitchen slave for your sweetie's cooking. ;)

Another phone call to dad tonight. Trying to get him off top dead center.

Told him Steve Miller Band was Monday. That almost did it. ;)

Karen says she's in this year no matter what so we'll both be there. Now it's just figuring out a good bed for dad and we're on.

People do rent airplanes and airplane camp, ya know! ;)

Yeah, but we're just about 90 minutes south of OSH by 182, and we stay for a week. Really hard to justify taking a plane offline for a week for 3 hours on the tach!
But if you're in Scholler I'll be happy to be a kitchen slave for your sweetie's cooking. ;)
If we camp, we'll take you up on that! We have to see if Leslie's Mom will be joining us again this year. She's not a flyer, but she camped in a tent with us last year for the entire week and really seemed to enjoy herself!

Another phone call to dad tonight. Trying to get him off top dead center.

Told him Steve Miller Band was Monday. That almost did it. ;)

Karen says she's in this year no matter what so we'll both be there. Now it's just figuring out a good bed for dad and we're on.
Looking forward to seeing the three of you! :)

Yeah, but we're just about 90 minutes south of OSH by 182, and we stay for a week. Really hard to justify taking a plane offline for a week for 3 hours on the tach!

I believe Sturgis is the week after OSH.

A little known thing up there is the airport (last a co-owner checked) sees quite a few airplane campers and there's transportation to go see the nuts in town, and you get to retreat to the airport at night. Or so I've been told.

So... You like South Dakota in the summertime? ;)

I believe Sturgis is the week after OSH.

A little known thing up there is the airport (last a co-owner checked) sees quite a few airplane campers and there's transportation to go see the nuts in town, and you get to retreat to the airport at night. Or so I've been told.

So... You like South Dakota in the summertime? ;)
Well, we did Custer, SD back in 2005 on our way to Yellowstone and Glacier National in MT, and it was probably July! I know there are bikers at A&M who would be interested, but I don't think Leslie is one of them!:no:

I would really like to go, if I can swing it. But I'd most likely be going solo... so we need to make Kim go so I'll have a pal to hang around/annoy.

Kim? What say you? :)

Oh sorry, I thought you were under a DC-3 or Beech 18 this year!

Probably a great many. I've been attending since 1971.

Rookie. ;) I've been going since 1966. It was first held in Rockford, IL, my home town.

Back then ATC was a guy sitting on a 5 gallon bucket with red and green flags for landing instructions. Radios were scarce. I wanted that job! :D About 100 planes showed up. It has grown a little since then. I was pretty young. ;)

Last edited:
Well Byron, I'm not a crowd person either. And unless you choose to crowd in at the flight line for the airshow, the only time you'll feel crowded is on the bus rides.

And the crowd are all people you'd probably like. It's NOT like going to a museum or Jamboree or anything else. Most big gatherings have a high number of people who are in it for whatever their particular thrill is. At OSH, people seem to really be aware of their part in something special. Things I've seen:
  • A guy losing his fanny pack, with his new digital camera and $2500 in cash in it. It was at the lost and found the next day - ALL of it.
  • 10 people saving and re-staking a tent in a thunderstorm. Wasn't their tent, wasn't even their section of the campground. They just saw the problem and dealt with it.
  • The South African contingent picking the nicest porta-potty in their section, and putting a "ladies" sign on it, with a welcome mat and flowers planted by it.
  • People looking out for each other, everywhere, all the time. If my kid got lost, I'd be worried about her being afraid. I wouldn't worry about her safety.
  • I've stayed till the last days, and the campgrounds look great when people leave. There's no trash left behind.
I'm not trying to sell you on it, sir. I do suggest that you come out some time and see for yourself. Catch a cheap flight to Milwaukee, Green Bay, or even Midway, and drive up. Spend two days and a night (you can find hotels with a 45 minute drive) and hook up with some of your fellow POA-ers.

Only place in the world where you can plug you Phone, Camera and laptop in at the shower building unattended and come back 2 hours later and they are still there.

Actually, rumor has it that they can't/won't pony up the couple of million dollars he wants for the performance.

While that is likely the price for a normal show I would think that as a pilot he would do one cheaper just so it could happen.

I'm going to be there for opening day to say hello to Steve Miller :rockon: through the closing Sunday to say goodbye to Moxie :(. I'm going to drive, either in the Miata and pull a small trailer with camping gear, or rent a slightly bigger vehicle for the week.

I would really like to go, if I can swing it. But I'd most likely be going solo... so we need to make Kim go so I'll have a pal to hang around/annoy.

Kim? What say you? :)

I think we need to rent a slightly bigger vehicle (mini van?) and meet in Williampsort... it's on the way for both of you.

I plead guilty to that :D
I avoid crowded events, generally I like peace and solitude, when everyone heads from A to B I fly from B to A.

But...but...but...all the coolest planes on the planet are at B for a week, plus this year we get Stevie Miller, wonder if he's comin in a big ole jet airliner?

I think we need to rent a slightly bigger vehicle (mini van?) and meet in Williampsort... it's on the way for both of you.
That's not a bad idea, actually! I think the hard part is the scheduling, making sure everyone can commit to the same schedule when ride-sharing.

The two of you are both half-ers, so you can talk about that weird "running" thing you do. I'll bring Achmed so it can be boy-girl-dead-boy-terrorist-girl.:D:D

Last edited:
That's not a bad idea, actually! I think the hard part is the scheduling, making sure everyone can commit to the same schedule when ride-sharing.

The two of you are both half-ers, so you can talk about that weird "running" thing you do. I'll bring Achmed so it can be boy-girl-dead-boy-terrorist-girl.:D:D

Well, you Already said you are going for the whole week. I would love to be there for the Moxie dedication but I usually don't stay past Sunday Morning as it's a long drive home but I could be convinced and with 3 driveres we would be able to make a straight shot.

Missa

Attachments

• 1 July 1956 Experimenter cover.jpg
    1 July 1956 Experimenter cover.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 17
  • 2 July 1956 Experimenter page 3 top.jpg
    2 July 1956 Experimenter page 3 top.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 3 July 1956 Experimenter page 3 bottom.jpg
    3 July 1956 Experimenter page 3 bottom.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 4 1956 Fly-In guide cover.jpg
    4 1956 Fly-In guide cover.jpg
    360.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 5 1956 Fly-In guide middle.jpg
    5 1956 Fly-In guide middle.jpg
    385.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 6 1956 Fly-In guide back.jpg
    6 1956 Fly-In guide back.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 11
While that is likely the price for a normal show I would think that as a pilot he would do one cheaper just so it could happen.
I held the same hope that you expressed, but I understand that he quoted Ford/EAA the multi-million dollar price.

Well, you Already said you are going for the whole week. I would love to be there for the Moxie dedication but I usually don't stay past Sunday Morning as it's a long drive home but I could be convinced and with 3 driveres we would be able to make a straight shot.

Missa
Now this could be a lot of fun. I probably won't be there the whole time... hmmmm. Yes, figuring out the logistics would be difficult, but I'm game to try to make this work. Missa, would you be camping?

Let's try to figure this out, this could be a lot of fun. And then I could hang around/annoy not one, but TWO poa'ers! lol

Back