Any experience with sport pilot FAA examiners?

Doug F

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DougG
I'm on my 3rd cancelled check ride due to weather since Jan. The only DPE in the area books 8 weeks out and already has 7 people on standby so I'm looking at June for my next try so I'm getting desperate to get this done.

I've read that the FAA folks tend to be 'by the numbers, exactly by the numbers' so if I miss a maneuver by a foot or a knot, I'm done. I want to see who's had experience and what they've found. Atlanta area experience would be excellent.

I'm also interested in the downside of taking the practical more than once. If I opt to try the FAA, fail, do the FAA again, fail, repeat until June...is there a downside for me? Is it bad for my CFI?

Thanks for any feedback.

Doug

In my experience, DPEs are more concerned about recognizing and fixing small mistakes. Big mistakes? Ya, you can bust. If you're truly ready for the checkride, you should be able to avoid those.

my checkride was with a DPE. I blew my 1st attempt at a short field landing...high and fast...and initiated a go-around. i made the landing on the second attempt. i did all of the other maneuvers well but i thought for sure i failed. i was totally surprised when he handed me my temp certificate. he told me that the decision to go around instead of trying to save the landing was a good one and showing good judgement was just as important than flying skills.

I want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.
My DPE (private citizen who charges for the exam) sounds like he does exactly what you have all described; recognize an error, call it, fix it, I'm OK. Do that for every requirement and I'll most likely fail. If I do something boneheaded (prop strike)...fail. FWIW, I'm comfortable I can pass both the oral and the practical...I just need to match up a date with good weather!

I understand that I have an option to take the checkride with an FAA employee for no fee. It's these folks I'm asking about. I didn't think these folks were called DPE's.

Am I off in another universe or have I got that part right? If I'm right, how strict are the FAA employees?

You won't be able to take a check ride with an FAA Inspector (FAA employee for no fee). Possible of course but highly unlikely.

I want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing.
My DPE (private citizen who charges for the exam) sounds like he does exactly what you have all described; recognize an error, call it, fix it, I'm OK. Do that for every requirement and I'll most likely fail. If I do something boneheaded (prop strike)...fail. FWIW, I'm comfortable I can pass both the oral and the practical...I just need to match up a date with good weather!

I understand that I have an option to take the checkride with an FAA employee for no fee. It's these folks I'm asking about. I didn't think these folks were called DPE's.

Am I off in another universe or have I got that part right? If I'm right, how strict are the FAA employees?

You won't be able to take a check ride with an FAA Inspector (FAA employee for no fee). Possible of course but highly unlikely.
Is it that the FAA just opts not to participate or are they just too busy to do check rides?

<edit> Never mind. I was looking for something else and ran across this older but, I'm guessing, still relevant thread.

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...l-checkride-or-impractical-and-use-dpe.62807/

Bottom line, I'll get to the check ride when it happens. In the meantime, I'll just work on getting better at everything and fly in more difficult weather so when the day happens, I'll freakin' stick it!

Hmmm...I think I just figured something else out. The GA FSDO (where I think I'd have to go for an FAA done check ride) is in Atlanta. I don't have endorsements for Class B/C/D, can't get one (as a student) for ATL, so unless the inspector was willing to meet me at someplace in Class E/outside the Mode C veil, I'm kinda screwed...no intention to get endorsements for B/C/D.

My thanks to everyone for responding. Good stuff to know!

FSDO are out of the checkride game via a Notice sent late last year. They might do CFIs when an ASI needs that training box checked but that's it.

It will be with a DPE. I'd call your local FSDO and tell them that you have several cancellations and the only DPE is booked solid. They might know of another DPE that can help you out.

FSDO are out of the checkride game via a Notice sent late last year. They might do CFIs when an ASI needs that training box checked but that's it.

It will be with a DPE. I'd call your local FSDO and tell them that you have several cancellations and the only DPE is booked solid. They might know of another DPE that can help you out.
My CFI is poking around. Sport Pilot DPE's seem to be as rare as hens teeth round these parts.

My CFI is poking around. Sport Pilot DPE's seem to be as rare as hens teeth round these parts.
Atlanta%20FSDO_zpsip1cdxdo.jpg

... I don't have endorsements for Class B/C/D, can't get one (as a student) for ATL, so unless the inspector was willing to meet me at someplace in Class E/outside the Mode C veil, I'm kinda screwed...no intention to get endorsements for B/C/D...
just curious as to why not. unless something has changed as a student pilot you are elegible for endorsements to fly into Class D/C/B airspace and airports. i hold the SPL and i trained at a Class D but flew into both towered and non-towered fields during training including many, many Class D and C fields. haven't landed at a B...yet. that might be a while. getting the required training for the endorsements is relatively easy as compared to your overall training and your trainer must be properly equipped. you should be able to knock it out before your check ride. give it some thought and discuss with your CFI.

Hmmm...I'll have to get this list to my CFI. Toccoa is just around the corner from me. Thank you!
According to the FAA website's airman inquiry, William Frank Mercure is an ATP with Boeing 727, 737, 757, 767, Convair 880 and 990, And Douglas DC-3 and DC-9 type ratings, a CFII, and an A&P mechanic with inspection authorization. Those are some pretty heady credentials.

Yeah, FSDO guys don’t typically do checkrides just to a do a checkride, that’s what the DPE’s are used exclusively for.

There are certain instances that you can do a checkride with an FAA FSDO employee, but it’s usually not under good circumstances.

Unfortunately, you’ll probably just have to wait your turn in line like the rest of the crowd. I think we all could benefit from having more DPE’s readily available.

just curious as to why not. unless something has changed as a student pilot you are elegible for endorsements to fly into Class D/C/B airspace and airports. i hold the SPL and i trained at a Class D but flew into both towered and non-towered fields during training including many, many Class D and C fields. haven't landed at a B...yet. that might be a while. getting the required training for the endorsements is relatively easy as compared to your overall training and your trainer must be properly equipped. you should be able to knock it out before your check ride. give it some thought and discuss with your CFI.
Fear of the unknown with a dose of information overload. It has taken me a long time just to get to a point where I'm comfortable managing the plane in relatively uncongested airspace and airports with one or two runways and simple taxiway systems. I don't plan to ever do any long cross-countries and I'm doing this just for grins and giggles so un-towered E airports suit me just fine. There may come a time when I want to stretch and when/if that happens, I'll get the endorsements.
You are correct, SP is able to fly into B/C/D airports. As a student, ATL is one of the 'dirty dozen' so I'm not allowed there at all. Even if I had an endorsement for B...no way I'm going into ATL.

Fear of the unknown with a dose of information overload. It has taken me a long time just to get to a point where I'm comfortable managing the plane in relatively uncongested airspace and airports with one or two runways and simple taxiway systems. I don't plan to ever do any long cross-countries and I'm doing this just for grins and giggles so un-towered E airports suit me just fine. There may come a time when I want to stretch and when/if that happens, I'll get the endorsements.
You are correct, SP is able to fly into B/C/D airports. As a student, ATL is one of the 'dirty dozen' so I'm not allowed there at all. Even if I had an endorsement for B...no way I'm going into ATL.

If you do end up having to wait for a DPE until June (and it’s common that DPEs are slammed in a lot of places right now with all the hiring going on and people doing new ratings), do the stretch now while you have your CFI around. (Not at ATL of course, as you mentioned.) Go to a busier airport at least once while you’re training.

A good instructor can break down the order of operations for who you need to talk to, and also simplify the radio work needed, and even if you don’t get the endorsement, get the experience.

If you still feel it’s too much of a stretch just go somewhere and you fly and have the instructor talk and you listen and they’ll explain what and why they’re doing it.

You’ll probably realize pretty quick that you can handle it just fine. :) It’ll make it a lot easier someday if you really need their help to know they’re not difficult folks to talk to, at all. And with the magic words, “student pilot” they’ll slow down and pay more attention for any errors you might make and help out more. Phrases like “request progressive taxi” can also be quite useful on a bigger or more complex airport when you’re nervous about getting from one place to another correctly.

Definitely go somewhere fairly busy at least once during training. Especially if you find yourself with a little waiting period here.

Definitely go somewhere fairly busy at least once during training. Especially if you find yourself with a little waiting period here.

I've been waiting for my checkride since about Nov...we're closing in on the summer convection season...yeah...waiting period is about right!

My current plan is to continue working on short/soft field T/O & Landings, get more consistent with making good regular landings (I still tend to land harder than I'd like, off center, and with a bit of side load), make sure I have my air maneuvers down, get more solo time in the log book, and probably do another solo cross-country so I can work on paperwork/cockpit management skills and basic paper based navigation.

Re 'while you're in training', I figure I'll be in training until I stop flying. I intend to work with my CFI after I get my cert at least 4 times a year for mini-check rides so if the itch to go to a C/D airport starts, I'll be able to set that up.

Post certification, I want to get comfortable flying in the mountains, build basic flying skills, learn to use the avionics the plane offers (checkride is all paper so I've pretty much avoided the good stuff), switch to ForeFlight as a primary cockpit tool, build situational awareness (specifically better radio comprehension work and in-flight planning; I have a hell of a time multi-tasking and fail to hear/comprehend a lot of radio chatter), work on using flight following/flight plans, and learn to fly in higher winds (the Skycatcher gets blown around a ton so this is a skill that will do me well). I also intend to set a radius that corresponds to the limit of a single tank of fuel and land at every un-towered airport in range. Once that's done, I'll push out to a distance that requires I refuel before returning. My biggest goal is to get good enough that I can convince my wife to fly with me!

I ride motorcycles. My preferred day is to hop on my baby Ninja and work mountain twisties by myself (untowered airports). My least favorite riding is busy highways and in cities (B/C/D airports). I don't plan to fly to travel, I plan to fly just for grins. I may reach a point where I feel the desire to expand my skill set and push into new airspace but right now, no.

Here is a lot of good information about how the Sport Pilot DPE world currently is: http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5001
Well that's depressing. Not unexpected based on my experience, but depressing...Now I have to wonder if the 3 SP DPE's out of ATL's FSDO are all too big to fly. My CFI is out on vacation next week so I'll discuss with him after he gets back.

Also just because they can perform checkrides for Sport Pilots does not mean they will.

Well that's depressing. Not unexpected based on my experience, but depressing...Now I have to wonder if the 3 SP DPE's out of ATL's FSDO are all too big to fly. My CFI is out on vacation next week so I'll discuss with him after he gets back.
that was my issue. the DPE for my home field area did both Sport and PPL but was too heavy for most Sport applicants including me. my solution: my CFI arranged for me to use a DPE in an area about 45-min away but i had to go to him. prior to the CR we practiced in that area so i’d be familiar with it. that included several mock CR’s. when the day arrived i flew solo to the field, met the DPE, did the oral and practical and then flew back to my home field. might be something for you to consider. by the way, my home field is a part-time Class D within the ORD mode C veil. AAR is usually not terribly busy but it provided valuable experience. there are a number of towered and non-towered fields in my home area and some of the NT fields are just as busy as the towered fields. good luck.

Well, that got interesting fast...

My planned next checkride was going to be early June at KGRD. The cross country I need to plan for the exam is in pretty simple airspace. I can answer questions about different airspace during the oral but I'll never get close to anything other than G/E airspace. The trip over from KGVL is also a simple plan to put together.

This morning before training, I asked the folks where I'm training if there might be other DPE's with more open schedules.
I got a call this afternoon asking of next Tuesday would be OK!

The DPE is in Valdosta (actually at 4J5 since I don't have an endorsement for the Class D at KVLD).
So I've had my head set to doing flying up in northern Georgia where it's mostly untowered airports with no intention of flying near anything like TRSAs or MOAs. Now I'm looking at all of that as part of the test cross country plan plus a 2.5 hour flight to/from the exam through all kinds of interesting airspace. Next Tuesday...I don't even have a Jax sectional (should be here by Thursday).

My CFI is on vacation this week and out of contact so I won't even see him until next Monday. I'm flying with another CFI this week so we'll get get the last loose ends tied up.

Wheeeeeee......no stress...no worries.

The training center is looking at a couple of other DPEs who are closer so I may not wind up in Valdosta but I'm thinking I need to get really up to speed on all the junk I'll be flying in/near/around just in case.

I feel like I just drank 6 cups of coffee and then a few cans of energy drinks just cuz.

Back