Any decent pay job or career that does not require a college degree or trade skill?

Re: Any decent pay job or career that does not require a college degree or trade skil

If you want a good career you've got to have skills of some sort. ALL careers have a common accepted path to get "in the business" (even entrepreneurs). Some of these paths REQUIRE a degree (law, medicine, some engineering). Most PREFER a degree. The "trades" may not require a degree, but you'd better believe there's a similar method of taking newbies and making them earn their way.

In most you can be like Sinatra and do it "your way" rather than "their way". Unless you're truly exceptional "your way" will generally take longer.

BTW, this is coming from someone without a degree, but with a boatload of formal education.

Re: Any decent pay job or career that does not require a college degree or trade skil

Several OTR drivers make $100k+ I also have a friend that has a home inspection company. All you have to do is pass the state certification test, he makes $200k a year.

Last edited:

You can get by just fine without a degree in the software/IT world. That said, you need to be good at what you do, and becoming good at what you do will take many years of ass-busting and late nights unpaid.

Last edited:

Oil Fields in South Texas are booming now.
They pay great and are looking for workers now.

This man speaks the truth! EagleFord, join the best :)

Attachments

• 20131219_113620.jpg
    20131219_113620.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
  • 20130816_145355.jpg
    20130816_145355.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 32
  • 20140110_123348.jpg
    20140110_123348.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28

I always had the assumption that if you do not go to college or go to a trade (vocational) school to get an college education or a trade skill (like a car mechanic for example) you would end up in minimum wage jobs like fast food or retail stores.

But I wonder if there is a decent paying job (like living wages instead of minimum wage) that does not require a college education or a trade skill?

Can't think of one off the top of my head.

Any ideas guys?

Lots of self-taught individuals in a variety of careers. A friend learned programming on his own and has done quite well in software development.

Put your boots on and head up to Prudhoe Bay or the Bakken.

Something like this. You are asking what totally unskilled or blank-slate entry positions make a decent wage, right? It would have to be something with an element of risk or other deterrent to the vast numbers of folks that would want such a job.

I have friend the works for Caterpillar. Heavy equipment technicians are in great demand (starting $100K after employer training). Most of the work is using a laptop to troubleshoot PLC (programmable Logic circuits). Seriously, $100K with employer training!

Plenty of jobs in the oil patch w/o a degree requirement. Not all of them are hard labor but most starting jobs are physically demanding. If one applies them selves just a bit chances are they'll be able to find a comfortable position.

This is true. However, I've always been in the "not hard labor" side of this. Meaning, I checked land records in county courthouses, acquired oil and gas leases and a plethora of other things involved in what's referred to as the "land" side of things. A lot of the brokerages that contract the field landmen would probably prefer someone with a degree, but I've yet to see one that requires it. Starting pay is great for someone with no experience whatsoever and after a few years, you have the potential to scrape the low six figures annually.

Downside? Travel. Getting your foot in the door and trained - but plenty of courses to give you a basic knowledge and a few of those with inroads to training. The other obvious downside is the cyclical nature of the oil and gas business. There's some very high highs and you have to prepare for the lows.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sales. Especially when working on commission and the person your selling for sets no upper limit to the amount you can earn.

I am always interested in talking to qualified sales talent. But you must be someone who understands that this is not a "wait for the fish to come to you" position. You must know how to and have the drive to go out, kick over rocks, shake the trees, build the prospects, chase them down, and then close them.

If you're this type, then it's possible for you to earn a very comfortable living with my company.

Yep. I work in auto parts sales, built up a good client list over the years. Several of the guys I work with are well into the six figure range. Down side is never really being able to relax. There is always someone waiting for you to screw up.

Hazmat tank driver on the oil field pays pretty good and you can work till your drop here in texas.

Deal drugs, fly cocaine, they'll give you a plane, $40k a run, and don't require a license or medical.

You could always go into politics.

Deal drugs, fly cocaine, they'll give you a plane, $40k a run, and don't require a license or medical.

...or so you heard... :D

Joking aside, it amazes me to see the number of jobs in the construction sector that go begging, zero-skill, entry-level, employer-trained jobs. Adequate pay to start, all promotion from within and great potential.

Electrical apprentices make good money, and in a few years, they become Journeymen and make a very good living.

Mentioned earlier, but deserves mentioning again-- air traffic controller. There's a nationwide open bid next month, here's the training/experience requirements:

"Applicants must have at least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience, a 4 year degree, or a combination of the two."

I've seen guys with nothing more than a high school diploma and three years working at the local McDonald's do well. I've also seen guys with multiple college degrees and ATP pilot qualifications wash out in the first six months.

It's all about aptitude for the job-- some folks have it, most folks don't. But if you have it, you can make well into six figures fairly quickly, enjoy great benefits, then mandatory retirement at age 56 (and optional retirement even earlier).

Electrical apprentices make good money, and in a few years, they become Journeymen and make a very good living.

I would lump that into a trade skill. Entering into an apprentice program is getting the skill. Not all skill acquisition is lacking compensation. In addition to the building trades, that's pretty much how you work your way up in the marine trades as well. ... and there's always the military.

You can start in a bunch of jobs with little or no education, if you prove competent, most companies will train you for advancement. You have to be agreeable to

Work every shift including Evening and Midnight Shifts
Work Overtime
Work on Week-ends
Travel

You can start in a bunch of jobs with little or no education, if you prove competent, most companies will train you for advancement. You have to be agreeable to

Work Overtime
Work on Week-ends
Travel

I know one guy that started at the bottom with no college and now after 15 or so years is making $75K+ managing two Love's. He was single with no kids for most of this time and did just what was quoted above.

Work Overtime
Work on Week-ends
Travel
Making someone else rich with 'meh' odds of a decent reward.

I always had the assumption that if you do not go to college or go to a trade (vocational) school to get an college education or a trade skill (like a car mechanic for example) you would end up in minimum wage jobs like fast food or retail stores.

But I wonder if there is a decent paying job (like living wages instead of minimum wage) that does not require a college education or a trade skill?

Can't think of one off the top of my head.

Any ideas guys?

Without formal training etc, it's all about HOW you play the game...as stated before, gamesmanship & strategy.

Therefore: Get a Gummint job. Local, State, Federal, Obama...it don't matter...bennies are good if the entity doesn't go bankrupt...until then they've got your back...besides, they'll print mo' money to make payroll. That just doesn't work for my business, however. My copier isn't that good.

Comments???

Without formal training etc, it's all about HOW you play the game...as stated before, gamesmanship & strategy.

Therefore: Get a Gummint job. Local, State, Federal, Obama...it don't matter...bennies are good if the entity doesn't go bankrupt...until then they've got your back...besides, they'll print mo' money to make payroll. That just doesn't work for my business, however. My copier isn't that good.

Comments???
Need to be a minority or ex-soldier to get those jobs. Otherwise a good slacker plan. Or to be noble and look at as a sinecure provided you are improving your life on the side.

It's all about aptitude for the job-- some folks have it, most folks don't. But if you have it, you can make well into six figures fairly quickly, enjoy great benefits, then mandatory retirement at age 56 (and optional retirement even earlier).

So much for that for a second career. I'm afraid that 56 is a bit back in the rear-view mirror. :D

Making someone else rich with 'meh' odds of a decent reward.

as opposed to doing nothing? This was a person asking how to get ahead without the benefit of training so he has got to do something.

Mentioned earlier, but deserves mentioning again-- air traffic controller. There's a nationwide open bid next month, here's the training/experience requirements:

"Applicants must have at least 3 years of progressively responsible work experience, a 4 year degree, or a combination of the two."

I've seen guys with nothing more than a high school diploma and three years working at the local McDonald's do well. I've also seen guys with multiple college degrees and ATP pilot qualifications wash out in the first six months.

I was interested in training as an Air Traffic Controller until I read their fine print: the cutoff age to start is 30. I wish I had thought of it before I hit 30. I have a bachelor's degree also.

I matured late in life. I screwed up my college opportunities (which is sad, because I was accepted into the schools of my choice and was well on my way). I now do well enough in insurance; property and casualty, sales and the illustrious middle management. And I have plenty of future opportunity. But I work smart/hard.

The commercial lines agents in my office, which is a small independent agency of about 20 people, make at or above six figures.

It's a licensed position, but you can knock out the class in a week and then take the state exam.

The downside? Who likes insurance? But everyone needs it...

Kind of funny to watch people advise a kid that isn't willing to put in the effort to go to college that he can get ahead by working hard...

If he is willing and capable of working hard (not physical hard work), then he will be better served by college.

If he is willing and capable of working hard (not physical hard work), then he will be better served by college.

Provided someone else (parents), usually) pays for it . Many get out of college with a barely adequate entry level job and $100K in student loans to pay off.

Piano player in cat house or......go to college. Look up the statistics. Pretty easy to answer question. All depends on ones major, maturity , study habits.

Piano player in cat house or......go to college. Look up the statistics. Pretty easy to answer question. All depends on ones major, maturity , study habits.
Look up current statistics. Most college does nothing but put kids in 6 digit debt. The days of college being a ticket to good, lifelong employment are long over. Welcome to Rome.

Kind of funny to watch people advise a kid that isn't willing to put in the effort to go to college that he can get ahead by working hard...

Perhaps, or perhaps not. In my opinion, a college degree proves nothing other than that a person had the discipline to be able to endure four (or more) years of listening to windbags spouting bull**** without getting up and slapping a few of them upside the head. Until the day comes when I am hiring for a position whose main prerequisite is the ability to tolerate idiocy with a high degree of unthinking acceptance, degrees do not impress me.

Personally, I wish I hadn't bothered with college, at least in terms of earning the degrees. I can count the courses that were actually useful on my fingers. The rest was a colossal waste of time. If I had it to do over again, I would skip the degrees and only take those courses that were useful to me. The degrees just take up space on the wall.

-Rich

Provided someone else (parents), usually) pays for it . Many get out of college with a barely adequate entry level job and $100K in student loans to pay off.

$100k in student loans is because they weren't smart and for some reason, wanted to be $100k in debt. You can go to college for $3-5k or so per semester at the local public university.

Add in some fees/books and you are less than $10k in education expenses.

My daughter banked over $10k last summer on an internship that the school helped her find. This summer, on her next internship, she will be getting $26 an hour plus $1200 a month living expenses. Her internships are more than paying her public tuition.

Only other item is her $300 per month room rent, plus food/beer/entertainment.

No way is she coming close to SPENDING $100k, let alone having to borrow $100k.

IF the OP is cabable of hard work, hard work applied WITH a college degree will always trump hard work WITHOUT a college degree.

(Now waiting for the "I know a guy that knows a guy that knows a guy that dropped out of HS and is a Gazillionaire".)

Look up current statistics. Most college does nothing but put kids in 6 digit debt. The days of college being a ticket to good, lifelong employment are long over. Welcome to Rome.

Can we get a link to that?

Perhaps, or perhaps not. In my opinion, a college degree proves nothing other than that a person had the discipline to be able to endure four (or more) years of listening to windbags spouting bull**** without getting up and slapping a few of them upside the head. Until the day comes when I am hiring for a position whose main prerequisite is the ability to tolerate idiocy with a high degree of unthinking acceptance, degrees do not impress me.

Personally, I wish I hadn't bothered with college, at least in terms of earning the degrees. I can count the courses that were actually useful on my fingers. The rest was a colossal waste of time. If I had it to do over again, I would skip the degrees and only take those courses that were useful to me. The degrees just take up space on the wall.

-Rich

Degrees open a lot of doors, especially in the first 8-12 years of having them. What happens after that period of time is more on connections/ability/random luck.

I have related the story before, but as a former manager of a Fortune 50 company, when I had to sort resume's, and the job was "College Degree or equivalent experience", I would sort the ones without college into the trash can without considering them if I had plenty of applicants with a degree.

I can never advise a youngster to purposely shut doors on in their own face.

My flying buddy's daughter is currently being educated at no cost at the maritime academy. She does well in sports, did well in high school and intends to fly for the navy. Her father, a grad. Of univ. Of maryland flew U2s, retired as lt. Col. Now flys left seat for major. Her brother grad. From Loyola univ. Computer science 2years ago, works for major computer co. And graduated from army heilo school, flys in the guard. ( he also had partial scholarship. ) college degree is very important today. My doctor has several.

-Rich

Yeah, but the parties...

Until the day comes when I am hiring for a position whose main prerequisite is the ability to tolerate idiocy with a high degree of unthinking acceptance, degrees do not impress me.

It may not be intended, but a whole lot of positions require exactly what you describe.

Ever wonder what that "team player" buzzword on every resume really means?

Heck, even on this board, you'll find examples of managers who think firing expensively-trained people on the spot due to a first mistake without regard to consequence and without even asking the circumstances is a sensible thing to do. Lots of pointy hair.

If you ain't lead dog, the scenery is always the same.

I know one guy that started at the bottom with no college and now after 15 or so years is making $75K+ managing two Love's. He was single with no kids for most of this time and did just what was quoted above.

Menard's, a midwest home improvement chain, has many store managers that started out as cart boys. Now making $100k and up, with no degree.

Menard's, a midwest home improvement chain, has many store managers that started out as cart boys. Now making $100k and up, with no degree.

How many guys do they have working in the stores with no degree making $8-12 per hour? My guess is a bunch more than the single store manager per store.

Them ain't good odds....

Back