Any decent pay job or career that does not require a college degree or trade skill?

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
I always had the assumption that if you do not go to college or go to a trade (vocational) school to get an college education or a trade skill (like a car mechanic for example) you would end up in minimum wage jobs like fast food or retail stores.

But I wonder if there is a decent paying job (like living wages instead of minimum wage) that does not require a college education or a trade skill?

Can't think of one off the top of my head.

Any ideas guys?

Re: Any decent pay job or career that does not require a college degree or trade skil

Start a business.:yes:

Re: Any decent pay job or career that does not require a college degree or trade skil

IT interns up here get paid $14-$15/hour

You can go a long way in the IT business without a degree or trade school.

IT interns up here get paid $14-$15/hour

And if they have talent, you can get well into 6 figures in the business without formal education.

Sell insurance

You could be a pimp or a drug dealer.

Wow, IT business. I did not thought about that. I assume it involves various Microsoft Office products including more advanced Office software like Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.

But do they train you on the job or do you have to learn this all by yourself?

I always had the assumption that if you do not go to college or go to a trade (vocational) school to get an college education or a trade skill (like a car mechanic for example) you would end up in minimum wage jobs like fast food or retail stores.

But I wonder if there is a decent paying job (like living wages instead of minimum wage) that does not require a college education or a trade skill?

Can't think of one off the top of my head.

Any ideas guys?

Put your boots on and head up to Prudhoe Bay or the Bakken.

Beat me to it.

Could also move to Colorado and learn to grow pot legally.

And if they have talent, you can get well into 6 figures in the business without formal education.
I've worked for managers in IT that didn't have a clue but still got into a 6 figure, big bonus job. So talent doesn't could for squat. Gamesmanship is the key. Learn how to sell yourself with or without a college degree.
PS: I was a VP in my last company AND I got talent.

You taking over for Henning? I would expect that from him. You missed gigolo. A job any guy with a blue pill can do.

Careful about that. IT has a habit of picking up young energetic professionals, chewing them up and spitting them out. As a long term job, people do it, but it SUCKS.

I did that in a previous life. I think I'd prefer ice picks under fingernails.

It's one of those jobs where if you do it perfectly, no one even knows you're there, but if you screw up, it's really obvious. Completely thankless, but full of blame.

Wow, IT business. I did not thought about that. I assume it involves various Microsoft Office products including more advanced Office software like Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access.

That "help desk" type of thing is your entry level.

Moving more into server/network admin/security stuff is where you start to move up the ladder.

Often once you show an aptitude, companies will train and promote from within.

I've worked for managers in IT that didn't have a clue but still got into a 6 figure, big bonus job. So talent doesn't could for squat. Gamesmanship is the key. Learn how to sell yourself with or without a college degree.
PS: I was a VP in my last company AND I got talent.

With talent, you can bypass the whole "manager" thing and do actual work!

Put your boots on and head up to Prudhoe Bay or the Bakken.

Plenty of jobs in the oil patch w/o a degree requirement. Not all of them are hard labor but most starting jobs are physically demanding. If one applies them selves just a bit chances are they'll be able to find a comfortable position.

Plenty of jobs in the oil patch w/o a degree requirement. Not all of them are hard labor but most starting jobs are physically demanding. If one applies them selves just a bit chances are they'll be able to find a comfortable position.

Yep...oilpatch is absolutely an industry where you can start at the bottom and work your way up really quickly.

Sales. Especially when working on commission and the person your selling for sets no upper limit to the amount you can earn.

I am always interested in talking to qualified sales talent. But you must be someone who understands that this is not a "wait for the fish to come to you" position. You must know how to and have the drive to go out, kick over rocks, shake the trees, build the prospects, chase them down, and then close them.

If you're this type, then it's possible for you to earn a very comfortable living with my company.

Wow, thanks for the responses guys! I had no idea that there are jobs like that.

Okay, I changed my point of view. To make a decent living, you need to be either college educated or physically strong (like you guys suggested, some jobs are physically demanding).

I started my business with a total of $250.00. I have a ninth grade education. My $250.00 investment served me very well for most of my working career.

The thing that keeps just about all people from starting their own business is that they are convinced that they should have enough money to start the business they would normally have in about 30 years of hard work, or, they want to start the business that they would end up with if they had the gumption to stick it out, which very few do.

The next thing that keeps people from owning their own business is their belief in all of the nonsense put out by educators of business.

-John

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007USP5P0/ref=rdr_kindle_ext_tmb
College is over. Remember all the college grads earn X more studies are always 40 years out of date.

If you say so….

Things are changing, but the degree is going to help for many years to come.

And it's not all the studies. Just the longitudinal ones. And STARTING salaries are still quite a lot better THIS year with college degrees than without. A few outlying fields notwithstanding.

The oil industry is currently a massive outlier, but if the price ever collapses, that will dry up in a hurry. If you think it can't happen, it HAS happened multiple times. Texas, Pennsylvania, and California have all had massive oil booms and subsequent busts.

The truth is, a college degree, especially in a technical field, opens a lot of doors that wouldn't be opened otherwise. Now, college isn't for everyone, but skipping it "because it isn't necessary" is bad advice. It will put you at a disadvantage. You may be able to overcome it with talent, but not if you're looking for a job everyone can do.

That IT commands decent salaries is a function of the available talent pool. If it's so easy everyone can do it, the salaries will fall.

You can work your way into 6 figures at a major railroad... If you are willing to work a LOT.
Railroads demand much of your time and for a family man it is rough for quite a few years in the beginning.
They do however still have good benefits and instead of Social Security pay into Railroad Retirement, which pays a good bit more when you finally step away.

Sales. Especially when working on commission and the person your selling for sets no upper limit to the amount you can earn.

I am always interested in talking to qualified sales talent. But you must be someone who understands that this is not a "wait for the fish to come to you" position. You must know how to and have the drive to go out, kick over rocks, shake the trees, build the prospects, chase them down, and then close them.

If you're this type, then it's possible for you to earn a very comfortable living with my company.

I know what you're saying, and you've been around long enough that I know you're legit. But your post reminds me a little of what you see on Shark Tank. Those smug bastards are always preaching about how the entreprenuers on the show should be beating down doors and pounding the pavement while starving, because that's what they had to do before they made it. I always enjoy it when, every now and then, someone comes on who doesn't really need their money and tells them off. Like the Copa di Vino guy. Twice!

If you can read and have access to a computer, then there is almost nothing in IT that you can't learn yourself. Seriously.

-Rich

What would be considered "decent" pay?

Wow, thanks for the responses guys! I had no idea that there are jobs like that.

Okay, I changed my point of view. To make a decent living, you need to be either college educated or physically strong (like you guys suggested, some jobs are physically demanding).

You're still too limiting in your assessment. No need for a degree to do sales. I know plenty of guys without degrees in sales. And the ones that do have degrees aren't making any more because they have one. And that's just one job.

To make a decent living you need to have something to offer. It may be brains, it may be brawn, it may be beauty, it may be a trained skill... many opportunities. It just needs to be something that you can genuinely do well that solves someone else's problem.

College is one step along that path for many of us, but certainly isn't a requirement. Having that degree may get you in the door, but it won't by itself get you a big salary and a good reputation -- gotta earn that yourself, whether it's a "college" job or working in the oil field.

I know what you're saying, and you've been around long enough that I know you're legit. But your post reminds me a little of what you see on Shark Tank. Those smug bastards are always preaching about how the entreprenuers on the show should be beating down doors and pounding the pavement while starving, because that's what they had to do before they made it. I always enjoy it when, every now and then, someone comes on who doesn't really need their money and tells them off. Like the Copa di Vino guy. Twice!

I do wonder if some of the folks (like Copa di Vino) and some others, are on the show just for a bit of exposure. BTW; I am seeing that product in a few of of the local RaceTrac convenience stores I stop at.

But my main point is I'm ready to reward someone who realizes that this isn't a cush job and requires dedication and hard work. And for that right person, I have no problem writing the big dollar check every other week.

Does Justin Bieber have a degree in anything? He seems to do okay.

Being an idol for preteen girls will make you extremely wealthy, if you don't end up in prison first.

You could run for public office.

-John

Surveying is good money with no degree

Oil Fields in South Texas are booming now.
They pay great and are looking for workers now.

Last edited:

UPS is a great company, I think most of their managers start out loading trucks and or driving, but even the drivers make a pretty good living. It's pretty physically demanding, but I know several folks that are my age (49) started there in high school. :D

I disagree. Start as a paid employee in the mail room and work your way up to senior management. I do not think a college degree is required just the desire to get ahead. If you go to work for the right company, you get the required training on the job. A good work ethic does count for something so do not use all your sick days, work extra when you can, and don't screw up much.

I read years ago that being an air traffic controller was the most money for the least amount of training.

I don't mean that to sound insulting. It was based on the proportion of training required as compared to how quickly you would be earning what ever the U.S. Median income was at the time.

On the other hand, I have watched those guys work. I wouldn't last two days.

I have friends in IT well above the 6 figure mark with no degree.
And I have friends in IT with degrees that are struggling. IT is a broad field with many entry and exit points.

Last edited:

The other thing you can do is acquire some sort of non-trade technical skill, like construction inspection, and go work in Southeast Asia. Your pay will be lower than it would be in the States for the same job, but it will still be enough to live like a Roman emperor over there.

I'd go over there in a heartbeat myself if I didn't like flying so much.

I disagree. Start as a paid employee in the mail room and work your way up to senior management. I do not think a college degree is required just the desire to get ahead. If you go to work for the right company, you get the required training on the job. A good work ethic does count for something so do not use all your sick days, work extra when you can, and don't screw up much.

I have to disagree with you on that one. There are a LOT of companies (mine included) with incredibly competent people who have been in low-level positions for decades. Yet the lower-level supervisory positions, which pay exponentially more, are filled with wet-nosed kids fresh from college. As sad as it is, many employers won't even look at people, no matter how much experience they have or how well they perform, if they don't have a bachelors.

Education won't open any doors for you, but it certainly keeps some from being closed.

I have to disagree with you on that one. There are a LOT of companies (mine included) with incredibly competent people who have been in low-level positions for decades. Yet the lower-level supervisory positions, which pay exponentially more, are filled with wet-nosed kids fresh from college. As sad as it is, many employers won't even look at people, no matter how much experience they have or how well they perform, if they don't have a bachelors.

Education won't open any doors for you, but it certainly keeps some from being closed.

:yeahthat::yeahthat:

Same at the Company I work for. Fresh college degrees or hanging with managers on weekends is what seems to get the better positions. Those with knowledge and field experience but no degree seem to be "pigeon-holed" to lower jobs/pay.

Do A&P's need a degree today?

Back