Another rent vs buy for PPL...

Nothing stands in the way of a good case of rationalization...:p

Rationalization never stands in the way of "because I want to". Agree with the recent post. If you've got the money and the time (you'll not be playing golf this coming summer), then buy it. You'll spend more time and money, and have more scheduling problems. But you'll be an airplane owner. Unless it's a job, no one really needs to learn how to fly anyway. This is an expensive hobby. How much you want to spend is up to you.

1. Pride of ownership
2. I want to learn in a tailwheel and they can be hard to come by for rentals
3. No scheduling issues
4. Inexpensive to fly (4.5 gallons/hour)
5. I get to know aircraft

I followed similar reasoning. If I'm buying, why should I buy something I can already rent? Hangars are unobtainium here so I wanted a metal plane I could tie down outside, so I was down to Luscombes and 140As. I got a 140A.

Reflections:
  1. Acquisition, fixed, and operating expenses are peanuts compared to maintenance and upgrades.
  2. Due to the above, if I had a do over, I'd probably look at 170As instead of 140As.
Oh yeah, get your medical first. Other than that, go for it and have fun, and welcome to PoA.

Let's make this simple: buy a $10K share in a modest plane with lots of partners, then sell your share to the next gal/guy when you're done.

Every airport seems to have at least one revolving-door plane like that (look for a Cherokee 140 or Cessna 150 with bad paint and worn upholstery, or ask the shop, because they'll know).

I bought a Skyhawk in '97 because one of my flight schools' 150s decided to stop running when I was 50 feet up. Two of us got our private tickets in it (sold half share to a friend), and I did 90% of my instrument training in the beast. It cost us a lot of money to keep running, as we were meticulous with it. So it cost more money than renting a plane, but it was always available. And I actually flew it for business for five or six years.
Not sure if I'd do it again.

He's not buying a plane.

Back