Another pilot arrested for nothing

Spelling faschists, damn I hate spelling faschists. Their the wurst kind of faschist.

Spelling faschists, damn I hate spelling faschists. Their the wurst kind of faschist.

enlightenment.png

The Sheriff has responded to the article:

I can understand why citizens might be concerned about civil rights issues. Law enforcement officers are charged not only with enforcing the law, but also protecting our rights. As you can see by the medical and fire vehicles in the photo, protecting life and property are at the top our priority list. In this case, the law does support the requirement that pilots provide permit or license information to law enforcement. The article was brief, yet the whole incident was fairly complex and there was more going on than most people would know. Had the pilot simply provided some rudementary information, our job would have been to make sure everyone was safe, help the pilot get his glider off the field, and ensure the farmer who owned the land was involved in the process and that his rights were respected. I am grateful the pilot was not injured, there was minimal property damage, and the landowner was extremely gracious in allowing the pilot's friends to remove the glider.

I've attached the RCW regarding the responsibilities of pilots. I hope anyone with questions or concerns about our operations will do me the service on giving me a call or stopping by our office.

Best Regards,

Sheriff Harvey Gjesdal

RCW 47.68.230

Aircraft, airman, and airwoman certificates required.

It shall be unlawful for any person to operate or cause or authorize to be operated any civil aircraft within this state unless such aircraft has an appropriate effective certificate, permit, or license issued by the United States, if such certificate, permit, or license is required by the United States, and a current registration certificate issued by the secretary of transportation, if registration of the aircraft with the department of transportation is required by this chapter. It shall be unlawful for any person to engage in aeronautics as an airman or airwoman in the state unless the person has an appropriate effective airman or airwoman certificate, permit, rating, or license issued by the United States authorizing him or her to engage in the particular class of aeronautics in which he or she is engaged, if such certificate, permit, rating, or license is required by the United States.

Where a certificate, permit, rating, or license is required for an airman or airwoman by the United States, it shall be kept in his or her personal possession when he or she is operating within the state. Where a certificate, permit, or license is required by the United States or by this chapter for an aircraft, it shall be carried in the aircraft at all times while the aircraft is operating in the state and shall be conspicuously posted in the aircraft where it may be readily seen by passengers or inspectors. Such certificates shall be presented for inspection upon the demand of any peace officer, or any other officer of the state or of a municipality or member, official, or employee of the department of transportation authorized pursuant to this chapter to enforce the aeronautics laws, or any official, manager, or person in charge of any airport, or upon the reasonable request of any person.

Nice answer to the question 'did he present his creds?'

Oh wait, there was no answer to that critical question.

How is the cop knowing the guys name going to change anything? Landing a glider in a field isn't illegal, so there is no reason for the cop to ID the pilot...all the cop has to do is help the guy out. Seems like most LEOs have forgotten that their mission is to "protect and SERVE" not harass, intimidate and arrest.

I am sure that LEOs have to produce reports at the end of their shift. It might be a simple matter of what to fill in on the incident report. If the form requires a name, that's what the cop asks for...

When the cop showed up, he could see there were no bloodied up people, no noticeable damage to property, no crime being committed.

Only thing that cop should have said, if ANYTHING, is "do you need any help" and then just went about his way.
Reality is not necessarily so simple.
My first landout involving a LEO started with a call by a startled citizen, "an airplane crashed off Route 999". I didn't know that but had walked out to the highway when I saw a couple of lit up police vehicles riding up and down the highway trying to figure out how to get to the 'crash'. I flagged one of the down, explained yes, I'm the pilot, no, it isn't a crash and no, I don't need any help unless he knew the name of the owner of the field (he didn't). I chatted him up after he called off the rescue.

He clearly wanted to view the aircraft up close and confirm that there was no accident. I discouraged him from driving out on the field because he may do some crop damage. Finally, not knowing what else to do, he asked for my drivers license, wrote down my name and number and drove off.

All good from my perspective. Most people have never seen a sailplane let alone been exposed to an off field landing. It's reasonable for a LEO to be a little confused by the concept of an off field landing as a normal operation. Heck, I lot of pilots have trouble with that one.

Nice answer to the question 'did he present his creds?'

Oh wait, there was no answer to that critical question.

Also no definition of what "rudimentary information" was requested.

Name and address, no problem.

Just about anything else, the pilot is free to decline to answer any further questions. A simple question "Is that your plane there?" is one that the pilot is entirely, legally, justified in refusing to answer.

If you're going to label someone, at least spell it right.

I'll bet this life is particularly hard for you. :nonod:

Well my spelling and grammar tends to take a hit when I type on my iPhone lol

Ether way, just wanted to figure out where you were coming from, with your background in fascism I 100% understand your opinions.

FYI, life is good, got good friends, good job, couple cars and a plane, retirement is more or less secure. I really can't b1tch.

I would imagine life is easy for you too, I mean you trust the govt to take care of you and in your fascist mindset the govt is always right, so why worry right??

Ether way, just wanted to figure out where you were coming from, with your background in fascism I 100% understand your opinions.

FYI, life is good, got good friends, good job, couple cars and a plane, retirement is more or less secure. I really can't b1tch.

I would imagine life is easy for you too, I mean you trust the govt to take care of you and in your fascist mindset the govt is always right, so why worry right??

You're judgmental name calling insight into other people is laughable.

You couldn't be more wrong about me if you tried. I probably have more physical Au and Ag right here in this room, than your total net worth... I have four BOL's, and numerous preps. I'll just stop there.

Well, I'll stipulate and take that back a little, I am a farmer/rancher/oilman, so I am a government employee in a way. :rolleyes:

You couldn't be more wrong about me if you tried. I probably have more physical Au and Ag right here in this room, than your total net worth... I have four BOL's, and numerous preps. I'll just stop there.

Well, I'll stipulate and take that back a little, I am a farmer/rancher/oilman, so I am a government employee in a way. :rolleyes:

Anybody got a ruler?

Easy there killer, I never called you a name, mearly inquired as to your political affiliation after your comments.

So are you a fascist??

Maybe you dont really know, take a read here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism#Tenets

Based on your slightly odd comment calling my questions "queer" in a derogatory fashion, do you have strong issue with homosexuals?

With your oilman work, gold horde and stating you're a “government employee in a way “
I'd say you have the profit and national interest angle down.

AND then you comment on how you thought some one was a "douchebag" for not fully capitulating to a police officers questioning, further, you said something about how a cop would beat a man if he did that where you lived, as if you were proud of that.
Can we say totalitarian rule???

Right there you got most of the tenets of fascism

So you can obviously see why I asked if you were a fascist?

Don't gliders have N numbers displayed on them ? :dunno:
Yes.
And a few other 'facts' about glider outlandings... or at least what I found out.
- One rarely finds out who owns a particular field or property. Seems like most all farm fields have been leased out to someone else to work. Why? :dunno:
- Everyone wants to help. Your challenge is to keep them from hurting you, your glider or the property you landed on. Not much you can say when the guy who planted the corn rides his tractor diagonally across the rows to 'help' you.
- There are a few fields across the country, by virtue of geography, that catch a lot of cross country racing sailplanes over the years. These are the only places where owners routinely get nasty.
- Handling LEOs, owners and operators is easy. The people you don't want to see at your landout are those few fellow glider people that make a point of not offering to identify themselves, that want to talk about trespassing laws, rights, or otherwise don't want to say anything to anyone even when standing in the middle of their property and talking to the owner's brother Bob, who is a Sheriff's Deputy.

Easy there killer, I never called you a name, mearly inquired as to your political affiliation after your comments.

So are you a fascist??

Maybe you dont really know, take a read here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism#Tenets

Based on your slightly odd comment calling my questions "queer" in a derogatory fashion, do you have strong issue with homosexuals?

With your oilman work, gold horde and stating you're a “government employee in a way “
I'd say you have the profit and national interest angle down.

AND then you comment on how you thought some one was a "douchebag" for not fully capitulating to a police officers questioning, further, you said something about how a cop would beat a man if he did that where you lived, as if you were proud of that.
Can we say totalitarian rule???

Right there you got most of the tenets of fascism

So you can obviously see why I asked if you were a fascist?

O.k. Sigmund.:rolleyes: Fully capitulating to the cops? A Texas boy? Are you daft? You are beginning to read to me like you may be a white supreme-st or Nazi. Are you a Nazi? With a little BDSM tendencies to boot? :skeptical:

Like I said, I can match you all day long bucko, But alas, I don't spend my time defending myself against the circular logic of internet thread forum bullies or trolls on boards. :no: I'm a happy flier. :heli:

I was not at the OP scene, but it read like the guy acted like a weird jerk and got arrested in the process. Big deal. Next?

Don't now anything about Ron White but there is a little bi-lingual irony here.

In German "Tat" means "deed" so the "Tater" (with dots over the "a") means the "doer" and is commonly used to mean perpetrator.

You've never seen Ron White? Oh man... Look up some of his stuff. Hilarious.

That's hilarious. Cops couldn't care less about "illegal aliens".

Heck, ten years ago in Iowa I had one apply for work at our hotel. I had everything -- name, phone number, fake social security number, date of birth, all on a nice, neat form. For giggles, I called the sheriff and asked if they wanted this info?

Nope. Nor did the police, the FBI, or DNS. They simply decided amongst themselves not to enforce that particular law, and we mere citizens just had to suck that up.

That was when I started to realize what a corrupt joke "law enforcement" has become in America -- and its been downhill ever since.
Really!? An unemployed illegal in Iowa? :wink2:

I would've thought the illegal population in Iowa was fully employed in the Tyson pork processing plants just like they're fully employed in the chicken plants of NW AR & SW MO.

When Tyson is around...illegals stay busy.

Last edited:
quote from the pilot on RAS:

Hi fellow pilots,
Regarding the arrest and a citation of obstructing a law enforcement officer following my glider landout on July 12, 2013.
The County irrevocably dismissed the citation on July 29, while I agreed not to sue them. Thanks go to my lawyer.
Safe soaring, Vitek Siroky

LEOs should stop making arrests that make it necessary to seek an agreement not to sue! :mad:

LEOs should stop making arrests that make it necessary to seek an agreement not to sue! :mad:

Agreed 1000%...:yes:..

I HATE lawyers and the law suits they thrive on..BUT...

Someone needs to sue a LE operation into oblivion to set an example that us honest taxpaying Americans are sick and tired of getting shook down and intimidated by their " my dick is bigger then yours" mentality.. IMHO.

Agreed 1000%...:yes:..

I HATE lawyers and the law suits they thrive on..BUT...

Someone needs to sue a LE operation into oblivion to set an example that us honest taxpaying Americans are sick and tired of getting shook down and intimidated by their " my dick is bigger then yours" mentality.. IMHO.

How often have you been shook down and intimidated by LE?

Nope...... That was back when people didn't sue and I just sucked it up and called it a "learning experience".... An experience I will NEVER forget..:no:

In this glider scenario, would you have went mute, or answered basic questions to include your identity and why your airplane was on a known farmers field as opposed to an airport.

In this glider scenario, would you have went mute, or answered basic questions to include your identity and why your airplane was on a known farmers field as opposed to an airport.

Ok.. I will play your little game.....

At what stage does Miranda kick in ?:dunno:

During the initial contact with LE ?:dunno:

After a citizen gives the info requested ?:dunno:

After the citizen is arrested ? :dunno:..

Your turn...

Sorry man people with common sense understand that charges dropped on condition of signing an agreement not to sue is an admission of guilt from the coppers. But, but he didn't produce his papiers. I'm so glad poor police behavior is spreading to stuff white people like, it is funny.

My name is...
Here is my certificate for inspection (don't let go, just show it)
Here is my registration for inspection (see above)

Ok.. I will play your little game.....

At what stage does Miranda kick in ?:dunno:

During the initial contact with LE ?:dunno:

After a citizen gives the info requested ?:dunno:

After the citizen is arrested ? :dunno:..

Your turn...

It was somewhat rhetorical.

My name is...

Handing over your certs (and letting go) is not "surrendering" them. There's no need to not let go.

My name is...

I would have maybe added:

"This is a glider and has no engine, like a balloon we are sometimes at the mercy of the weather. Please give my contact info to the land owners should there be any damages."

Sorry man people with common sense understand that charges dropped on condition of signing an agreement not to sue is an admission of guilt from the coppers. But, but he didn't produce his papiers. I'm so glad poor police behavior is spreading to stuff white people like, it is funny.

I should have majored in sociology in college. I love me some class warfare! :yes: We need to be infringed upon equally in order to galvanize support. A family that suffers together fights back together.

Back