Another Incident. This time AA

I don't know a professional traveler who will check a bag unless absolutely necessary. In the US, I'll FedEx/UPS a package if necessary to avoid checking. Lost bags are common and wait times for bags are absurd. I checked a bag a few weeks ago, it had the "VIP" tag on it (I clock a few miles) and it was almost the last bag off the plane. Carry-on bags may be the "bane of air travel" but it is the ONLY way to fly if you like to keep what you own and not spend even more time at the airport. I can travel for 3 weeks with a single legal sized carry on and a computer bag ... no WAY am I giving up my carry on.

I don't know a professional traveler who will check a bag unless absolutely necessary. In the US, I'll FedEx/UPS a package if necessary to avoid checking. Lost bags are common and wait times for bags are absurd. I checked a bag a few weeks ago, it had the "VIP" tag on it (I clock a few miles) and it was almost the last bag off the plane. Carry-on bags may be the "bane of air travel" but it is the ONLY way to fly if you like to keep what you own and not spend even more time at the airport. I can travel for 3 weeks with a single legal sized carry on and a computer bag ... no WAY am I giving up my carry on.
1) You won't check bags. You will FedEx them instead... yet you checked a bag and it was the last one off..??

2) Never heard of a VIP tag. Regardless, that's silly. Do you think the ramp guys are like "we can lose the one without the tag, but not the one with"??
Do you expect them to unload the entire cart to get yours in front so it's on the belt first?

As a 'professional' traveller, unless I'm going for 1-2 days I always check a bag. My carry-on fits under the seat in front of me and is my critical electronics and just enough for me to be comfortable at my destination for a few hours until I can get to a store if they lose my bag. The checked bag contains my pointy tools, mouthwash and toothpaste not constrained to 3oz and anything else I want to bring.

Never heard of a VIP tag.
That would be this. Airlines don't like losing guns, and yes... luggage with weapons are given the VIP treatment. ;)

guntag.jpg

1) You won't check bags. You will FedEx them instead... yet you checked a bag and it was the last one off..??

2) Never heard of a VIP tag. Regardless, that's silly. Do you think the ramp guys are like "we can lose the one without the tag, but not the one with"??
Do you expect them to unload the entire cart to get yours in front so it's on the belt first?

1) I said "In the US" ... I checked a bag Hong Kong to Cebu, Philippines. No reason to get all goofy with the ..?? You coulda just asked or ignored.
2) Every airline calls is something different, hence the "VIP" ... quotes. Some call it Priority, others call it VIP ... I don't remember. I don't really know/care what the ramp guys think. The airline says you book a bunch of miles or buy 1st class and you bags board last and off-load first. They tell me that and, uh yeah, I expect them to load appropriately. Here in Asia, it actually works ~70% of the time. I check a bag when I return to Asia from US with all the stuff I can't buy here. It always gets the "VIP" tag and most of the time is on the first batch of bags off the plane.

Did I answer your questions sufficiently ..??

1) I said "In the US" ... I checked a bag Hong Kong to Cebu, Philippines. No reason to get all goofy with the ..?? You coulda just asked or ignored.
2) Every airline calls is something different, hence the "VIP" ... quotes. Some call it Priority, others call it VIP ... I don't remember. I don't really know/care what the ramp guys think. The airline says you book a bunch of miles or buy 1st class and you bags board last and off-load first. They tell me that and, uh yeah, I expect them to load appropriately. Here in Asia, it actually works ~70% of the time. I check a bag when I return to Asia from US with all the stuff I can't buy here. It always gets the "VIP" tag and most of the time is on the first batch of bags off the plane.

Did I answer your questions sufficiently ..??
I've booked first numerous times and never been informed of that. I'll know to ask next time.

Sorry for the goofyness. I'll submit all future posts to you via PM to get your approval and permission to post.

"Regardless, that's silly ... https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/elite-status/priority-baggage-delivery.jsp
"At check in, your baggage will be tagged with branded Priority bag tags, and when you arrive at your destination, they’ll be among the first delivered to the baggage claim area."
So yes, if they need to unload the entire cart to get mine first, I do ... I would manage it a bit differently so such a wasteful process wouldn't be necessary, but the airlines are the ones making the promise.

I've booked first numerous times and never been informed of that. I'll know to ask next time.

Sorry for the goofyness. I'll submit all future posts to you via PM to get your approval and permission to post.

Not necessary, you can be incorrect as much as you'd like ... PM not necessary.

As a 'professional' traveller, unless I'm going for 1-2 days I always check a bag. My carry-on fits under the seat in front of me and is my critical electronics and just enough for me to be comfortable at my destination for a few hours until I can get to a store if they lose my bag. The checked bag contains my pointy tools, mouthwash and toothpaste not constrained to 3oz and anything else I want to bring.

I guess that is why "different strokes" fits life so well. Also why one should never say "I don't know ANYONE" ... now I kinda know someone. I've had a bad history with checked bags so its great that you don't. I had a flight with a couple of co-workers a year ago. One guy was exactly like you and I was heckling him a bit. We did 3 cities in 4 days. He made entire trip without his bag ... it met up with him at the departing airport upon our return. I still like to give him a bit of a hard time about it but glad your experience doesn't match. I've learned to travel for up to 3 weeks with just the checked bag. The one time of year that kills me is Nov/Dec/Jan when I need to be in Northern China and Singapore in the same week ... the cold requires a LOT more heavy clothing.

Lol!!!! What did I say that was incorrect? That I never heard of a VIP tag??
Nope, what was incorrect (or not necessarily appropriately researched) was:
"Regardless, that's silly. ... Do you expect them to unload the entire cart to get yours in front so it's on the belt first?"

"Regardless, that's silly. ... Do you expect them to unload the entire cart to get yours in front so it's on the belt first?"
Hey, Kritchlow ... its been fun bantering, now I gotta go back to work. Have a great evening.
Jeff

And that's true. I don't care what the website says. Obviously, as referenced by your reported experience, it is indeed true.

To be honest I've never seen one of those tags either. That said, I've never transported a gun.
Depends on the airline. Some tag your bags for all the world to see, others throw a tag in the bag so the X-ray dudes can see it. Bags are usually first off the plane and then sent up to the airline office where you pick them up. They don't like guns floating around on the carousel.:eek:

To be honest I've never seen one of those tags either. That said, I've never transported a gun.

Honestly, he's strangely right on this one. And TSA isn't even allowed to open it after you lock it.

There's a well known security expert who documents that he travels with some VERY expensive gear for business. His cases are made in such a way that you can NOT get them open without destroying them.

He puts a cheap .22 in every case and checks them in that way, anywhere he can travel where he can legally have unloaded handguns in his possession at the far end.

He's seen prybar marks where overzealous TSA folks have tried to open the cases anyway. None have gotten into them.

Perhaps appropriately, he works as a security expert for a living. He figures what's in his luggage is nobody's business once TSA has looked at it once with him standing there, as required by law.

He started doing it after stuff got stolen. Of course the airline blamed it on TSA and TSA blamed it on the airline, so he decided to figure out how to legally lock up his luggage in such a way as to see to it that nobody else other than him was allowed to open it by law.

He points out that his cases are now more secure than they're allowed to be if shipped as cargo. Which was often what he did before this if he didn't have to be somewhere for a few days. Ship to the hotel.

Now unless he needs a TON of stuff, he doesn't bother. Checking two overweight cases with firearms in them is more efficient.

In a few cities (and he can name them) TSA hates that they can't open them when they're out of his presence. They try anyway. And fail. He also knows the cases have never been replaced with duplicates. I won't go into how he knows that, but it's a surefire thing.

(He also knows how to keep those pistols quite secure at the far end also. It's what he does... he's not using the firearms for anything else other than to keep people out of his travel cases.)

And of course there's a few places where he can't travel there with the firearms. Most of those aren't that great a distance from another airport where he can, and the few times a year he goes to those cities he lands at a different airport, gets a rental car, and drops the firearms off for "deep cleaning" at a gun shop in friendly territory.

In other words, the pistols go to the spa for however many days he's there. They don't need cleaning and the store never bothers, but most stores don't advertise that they'll lock your firearms up for you for a week or less as a service. But almost all good shops have a gunsmith and they'll of course lock firearms up while they're in for "service". Not hard to find one that will.

He hasn't had anything stolen since that first incident.

He says it adds about half an hour to his trip unless he has to do the "swing by the gun store for cleaning" crap. He charges more for those trips, so for him, it's a wash other than an extra hour or two of time.

Anytime I've traveled with a firearm it's discrete. The tag is taped to the locked firearm case, which is inside my luggage. General public has no idea there is a firearm inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The passenger guy most certainly woukd have been removed if it was our airline, possibly in handcuffs.
For what?

I'd probably start updating my resume if I was crew on a flight that pulled a shanghan like that: somehow got a corrupt policeman to illegally remove the guy for doing nothing illegal and actually standing up for a lady with small children.

You fly for united by chance?
Ok. Here's a hypothetical for you, @James331 and all the other PICs (PsIC?) here.

You have three friends that want you to take them flying for a $100/hamburger. They've never met each other. One's your neighbor, one is a work colleague, and the last is an old college buddy. You meet at the airport Saturday morning, and your neighbor is thinking about taking flying lessons, so he's following you around watching you preflight, plan, etc. The other two guys are at the coffee machine getting coffee.

Now, your college buddy is a wiseass. Has a really aggressive sense of humor, and is using his "humor" on your work mate. Your co-worker has had enough and told your college bud to "knock it off." Your college bud lets a couple more wise cracks fly and your co-worker shoves your pal in the chest spilling his coffee. Your college bud comes back and shoves the co-worker the whole while they're jawing at each other. You get in the middle and stop them and they both calm down, but you tell they're both still really ****ed.

Do you go flying that morning? Who is on the plane with you?

Last edited:
So this dude assaults this lady with a stroller by hitting her with it and somehow this is ok? That dude should have been jailed for assault. No one has the right to hit you with anything. You can say what you like. It does not give you the right to lay a hand on them or hit them with an object...

Wow. It seems you haven't followed or read any of this thread yet you interject this stupid comment? Read the thread, especially the part coming from the objective eyewitness. It might help explain how this event started with the woman bringing a large stroller on board; the gate agent shares some blame here as he should have caught that and tagged it.

Just living the dream...can't wait to be a career pilot!!!!! Love this drama how exciting

Just living the dream...can't wait to be a career pilot!!!!! Love this drama how exciting

It becomes routine quickly, like any other job. But it does beat working. :D

man... this, and the other threads about the airlines is going to force me to buy my own plane.
I'm trying to resist.
They are making me a victim of forced aircraft accrual ;)

Back