Another “Can I Pass Medical With This Litany of Issues?” Post

Yeah, I am starting to realize you guys are right about that. I mean if I can use the hours towards PPL anyway there is no cost? The flight design LSAs are pretty attractive! I am a little worried about wind. I am trying to understand the factors that affect cross winds and turbulence tolerance. Something like weight/wing size?

Did my training in a FD CT and still rent it to stay current. Great airplane. You get kicked around a lot but it’s like flying a sports car. Very fun.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Read a lot of great things about flight design as well.

A good AP can adequately check out an RV for you. They are built by home plane builders, who are IMHO on the fanatical side of detail work. You’d probably have a higher chance of finding problems with a legacy plane and years of varying degrees of maintenance, etc.

They all have light wing loading - so they will be more sports car vs SUV. It’s because of the required max gross weight limit, stall speed requirement, etc.

Check out Vans Air Force and they can chat about what it’s like to fly an LSA. Stan on the board here also has an LSA

Is this going to be the case with all LSAs? Or are there any that tolerate winds better that you know of?

Depends. Some are made of composite (FD) and some metal. I’ve heard ones made of metal cuts down on it but generally with less weight the more the wind affects you.

You get used to it after awhile.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

My understanding from a person on that committee is - not going to happen anytime soon. The issue is the total kinetic energy in heavier aircraft being a danger to those on the ground.

Never mind that that is apparently a very small risk given that is not what drives insurance premiums. This is the FAA after all.

So I would not let that be a determining factor.

I meant to follow up with you about this. Are you saying there is a good chance the weight limit will not be increased 2023?

The most recent information I could find was this: https://generalaviationnews.com/2021/08/05/major-course-change-for-faa-on-lsa-update/

I meant to follow up with you about this. Are you saying there is a good chance the weight limit will not be increased 2023?

The most recent information I could find was this: https://generalaviationnews.com/2021/08/05/major-course-change-for-faa-on-lsa-update/

That is my understanding from a member who sits on the committee looking at this, yes. However, that report predates this more recent reported meeting.

Whenever it involves the FAA changing a regulation, you can count on a long time. I would not hold my breath.

That is my understanding from a member who sits on the committee looking at this, yes. However, that report predates this more recent reported meeting.

Whenever it involves the FAA changing a regulation, you can count on a long time. I would not hold my breath.
Yeah, I was reading articles from back in 2016, before basic med, where people thought that the FAA was going to get rid of the 3rd class medical requirement for PPL completely. I personally wouldn't consider the end result "ending the 3rd class medical requirement". So I wonder how overshot some of the speculations are about LSA weight limits.

Actually, wouldn't it make sense for the OP to start a sport pilot license (no medical) and actually get going on training before he takes on a potential 2 year process to navigate the medical stuff for private?

Yeah, I was reading articles from back in 2016, before basic med, where people thought that the FAA was going to get rid of the 3rd class medical requirement for PPL completely. I personally wouldn't consider the end result "ending the 3rd class medical requirement". So I wonder how overshot some of the speculations are about LSA weight limits.
Details were never released on the FAA proposal that was stonewalled by DOT, so I guess we'll never know what was in it. BasicMed was a Congressional creation.

Thanks that was a fun rabbit hole to go down. The Bristell looks amazing for sure! When I said money is not a hindrance I meant in the context of acquiring a PPL haha. 100k is probably the most I would want to spend on a plane right now.

Yeah that Bristell is gorgeous and the price is popular (as Benny Hill would say) because "they like it!"

The RV12 WDD mentioned is a great choice. A friend is taking flight lessons in a Tecnam P92 and he likes the plane a lot. I may go and take my flight review in it or just get the instructor to take me out for a flight to see how it handles.

eaglet-300x200.jpg

https://chesapeakesportpilot.com/tecnam-eaglet/

You should be able to find a used copy for less than $100K ...

Yeah that Bristell is gorgeous and the price is popular (as Benny Hill would say) because "they like it!"

The RV12 WDD mentioned is a great choice. A friend is taking flight lessons in a Tecnam P92 and he likes the plane a lot. I may go and take my flight review in it or just get the instructor to take me out for a flight to see how it handles.

eaglet-300x200.jpg

https://chesapeakesportpilot.com/tecnam-eaglet/

You should be able to find a used copy for less than $100K ...
Oh yeah I was looking at the P2008. Forgot about that one. I hadn't heard of the P92, I will have to look into the differences between the two. Something like this looks attractive: https://www.controller.com/listing/for-sale/206736723/2012-tecnam-p2008-light-sport-aircraft

Hey, so it's pretty clear to me at this point that I want Dr. Chien, especially considering the SSRIs. However, between the incredible amount of demand for his services (understandably), the complexity of my case, and that I imagine the guy wants to retire at some point, I am a little worried that he won't be able to take me on.

So I have two more questions:

1. Does anyone have any backups, just in case? I have heard great things about Dr. Fowler, who was mentioned above, and who matches well for me geographically (though I would fly anywhere for this).

2. I want to make sure I have my ducks in a row before reaching out to him. I don't want to waste his time, and I want to increase the likelihood of success. I want to make it as easy as possible for him. Any advice in this regard?

Thanks again. You all have been incredibly helpful.

Tom Faulkner, Atlanta GA. NOT Good about returning calls, keep pinging office until you get someone in the office, then schedule a “phone consult”.

Stephen Kramer, Frisco, TX.

Pilot, Senior HIMS AME, conserved by many locals to be the local guy to go to with complicated cases.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back