Annual

brien23

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Brien
Annual inspection IA signs off inspection as unairworthy gives owner list of discrepancies all of the list may be preformed under part 43 owner maint. Owner signs all the discrepancies as within limits and says aircraft is now airworthy. Yes or No.

Inspection Authorization Information Guide

If the aircraft is not approved for return to service after a required
inspection, use the procedures specified in 14 CFR part 43, § 43.11. This will permit an owner to assume responsibility for having the discrepancies corrected prior to operating the aircraft.

Discrepancies or unairworthy conditions can be resolved in the
following ways:
1.The discrepancies can be cleared by a person who is
authorized by 14 CFR part 43 to do the work. Preventive
maintenance items could be cleared by a pilot who owns or
operates the aircraft, provided the aircraft is not used under
14 CFR part 121, 129, or 135

From 8900.1, Volume 14, Chapter 1, Section 5

14-87 AIRWORTHY OR UNAIRWORTHY? The term “airworthiness” or one of its derivatives, is also not defined in 49 U.S.C. or 14 CFR. Nevertheless, a clear understanding of its meaning is an essential tool for the compliance program. Airworthiness is a concept that represents the substance of two of the most fundamental safety regulations, 14 CFR §§ 43.15(a) and 91.7(a).

A. Regulatory Background.

1) Title 14 CFR § 43.15(a) states that each person conducting a 100-hour, annual, or progressive inspection required by 14 CFR part 91 must perform those inspections in such a manner as to determine whether the aircraft meets all applicable airworthiness requirements.

2) Title 14 CFR § 91.7(a) states that no one may operate a civil aircraft unless it is airworthy.

B. NTSB Decisions.The example below clearly expresses the view that an aircraft is airworthy only if it is capable of a safe operation and it conforms to its type certificate.

1) In this case the issue was whether the pilot had violated 14 CFR § 91.7(a) by operating an aircraft that was not in an airworthy condition. The respondent had taxied the aircraft into a mud hole, causing the propeller to strike the ground. As a result one blade was bent and the other was nicked. Upon restarting the engine ran smoothly so that the pilot did not consider the damage to be significant. The pilot decided to give the aircraft a test flight and found that there was no unusual engine vibration or other indication of malfunction. The pilot then operated the aircraft from Nevada to Kansas to New York to Pennsylvania, and to several locations in Florida.

2) Upon hearing the case after a subsequent investigation revealed the damage and the violation, the examiner held that the damage to the propeller caused it to be unairworthy and sustained the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) allegation that the respondent had violated 14 CFR § 91.7(a). The examiner’s findings were based on the theory that an aircraft is airworthy if it conforms to its type certification but that it is not airworthy if its original design and specifications are altered without FAA approval.

3) The concept of airworthiness expressed in this case must be considered to be the correct one because it is the one which best lends itself to effective enforcement. It is supported clearly by some NTSB precedents and is reinforced by the framework of 49 U.S.C. and the practical operation of the FAA itself. The concept that an aircraft need only be capable of a safe operation to be airworthy cannot be applied effectively because it places too much discretion in the individual pilot or mechanic, safety being a subjective value.

C. Additional Interpretations. A careful study of 49 U.S.C. indicates that the term airworthiness should be interpreted in the manner that it has been in the example above.

1) Title 49 U.S.C., § 603(c) states that the registered owner of any aircraft may file an application for an airworthiness certificate. If the FAA finds that the aircraft conforms to the type certificate for that aircraft and determines, after inspection, that the aircraft is in condition for safe flight, the FAA issues the airworthiness certificate.

2) The statutory language in § 603 clearly establishes that two tests be applied in determining whether the owner of an aircraft should be granted an airworthiness certificate. First, the aircraft must conform to the type certificate for that aircraft. Then, if that condition is met, the aircraft must be inspected to determine that it is in a condition which will permit its safe operation.

3) The very term “airworthiness certificate” implies that an aircraft granted such a certificate is “airworthy.” Therefore, an aircraft denied such a certificate is not airworthy. The plain meaning of § 603(c) indicates that 49 U.S.C. intended that an aircraft should not be considered to merit the issuance of an airworthiness certificate unless it conforms to the type certificate applicable to it. Therefore, it can be argued that 49 U.S.C. established the concept of airworthiness to mean, “… to be in conformance with the applicable type certificate as well as to be in a condition for safe operation …”

4) The practical operation of the FAA should also be considered in determining which concept of airworthiness is most appropriate. If the term airworthy were interpreted to mean only to be in a condition for safe flight, at times it would be unreasonably difficult, if not impossible, to enforce the regulations which turn upon the meaning of that term. In order to prove that a pilot operated an unairworthy aircraft or that a mechanic certified an unairworthy aircraft as airworthy, the FAA sometimes would be required to undertake an extensive test-flight program of an aircraft that did not conform to the applicable type certificate.

5) Moreover, if airworthy meant only to be in a condition for safe flight, it would render the entire airworthiness certification procedure meaningless. Title 49 U.S.C. provides for the issuance of a type certificate—a certificate that includes the type design as dictated by the type certification data in the aircraft’s operating limitations and any other conditions or limitations prescribed in the applicable regulations. Title 49 U.S.C. specifies that the type certificate is to be referred to in determining whether an aircraft should be granted an airworthiness certificate. However, if an aircraft need only be capable of safe flight to be considered airworthy, after the original airworthiness certificate is issued, any mechanic could modify a particular aircraft in any manner that pleased the mechanic and the aircraft would be presumed to be airworthy unless the FAA could prove that the modification was in some way detrimental to the aircraft’s flight characteristics or structural strength.

D Conclusion. To be airworthy an aircraft must conform to its type certificate as well as be in a condition for safe operation. A word of caution is necessary, however, if this concept of airworthiness is to be applied effectively in enforcement cases. Where the evidence clearly demonstrates that the aircraft is not in a condition for safe operation, the NTSB will undoubtedly sustain a finding that the aircraft was unairworthy. However, if the condition of the aircraft is such that it would not be considered to be in conformance with the type certificate, yet it is not clearly unsafe for flight, then the NTSB will probably not sustain a finding that the aircraft is not airworthy in the absence of positive evidence concerning the contents of the type certificate data and the particulars in which the aircraft in question differs from that data.

Last edited:
Annual inspection IA signs off inspection as unairworthy gives owner list of discrepancies all of the list may be preformed under part 43 owner maint. Owner signs all the discrepancies as within limits and says aircraft is now airworthy. Yes or No.

Yes, but.

I'd like to see the list of discrepancies that would be un-airworthy, yet still repairable under preventive maintenance.

Yes, but.

I'd like to see the list of discrepancies that would be un-airworthy, yet still repairable under preventive maintenance.

I had one year that the mechanic caught the cord showing on the tire.

I had one year that the mechanic caught the cord showing on the tire.

Didn't the IA require it to be changed prior to an airworthy sign off?

I'm more in kind to say, why did you bring it to me this way? Get it fixed.

Why would any owner take their aircraft in for an annual with discrepancies that should have repaired as they occurred?

The annual inspection is complete with signature.....once the discrepancies are satisfied it's airworthy. If each of those discrepancies are items listed for owner maintenance then you're golden.

Make the required log book entry for the work performed and you're done.

Last edited:

Why would any owner take their aircraft in for an annual with discrepancies that should have repaired as they occurred?

Most airplane owners are clueless as to the condition of their planes. I'm not, but I missed it. He told me to order a new tire (Navions need 7.00x8 tires which aren't exactly something that are in stock locally). He could legally sign off the annual with that discrepancy and let me or one of the non-iA's in the shop finish the job.

I agree, it's unlikely that things devolve down to something covered by PM, but tires, bulbs, batteries, etc... certainly could qualify. Most shops would go ahead and just fix them but if the part is something esoteric...it might be easier to sign it off with the discrepancy.

Yes, but.

Could be spark plug or anything part 43 preventive maintenance, point is if the IA determined it unairworthy can the owner decide it's within limits and not fix or replace the discrepancy.

Could be spark plug or anything part 43 preventive maintenance, point is if the IA determined it unairworthy can the owner decide it's within limits and not fix or replace the discrepancy.

No, he cannot simply sign it off as good to go unless he finds some limits in the manual that says it is within limits. If that is the case, it is unlikely the IA would have written it up as an airworthiness issue. He can either have an A&P fix the discrepancies or fix them himself if they fall under owner maintenance, however they must be fixed. Otherwise, what is the purpose of having an IA do the annual and write things up if an owner can just say "looks good to me, let's go flyin'"? If you want that authority, get your A&P/IA.

Just remember when doing owner maintenance that you sign the log with your name and certificate number just like an A&P does and are placing that certificate in jeopardy if paying fast and loose with things.

Yeah, I agree especially if the owner does maintenance himself and will be clearing any annual discrepancies himself. Why not fix them in advance if they are obvious. Makes no sense. :no:

Ah, yes, answering questions by quoting imperterable regs. Not really useful.

It's an interesting situation with homebuilts. I did not buld the plane, but I am the owner/pilot. I can do all of the work, but must have an A/P do the condition inspection. He gives me a list of the squawks and I do the work

Oh, experimental aircraft?......Owner can do all the work, dun matter then.

Yea, who needs all of that useless information the FAA puts out that answers the question. :rolleyes2:

well....ya, but. :goofy:

§43.1 Applicability.

(b) This part does not apply to—

(1) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft; or

Ah, yes, answering questions by quoting imperterable regs. Not really useful.

R&W's 1st quote answer's the question pretty clearly. Yes, the owner can assume responsibility for correcting those discrepancies himself and returning the plane to service.

I hope I didn't imply that....the owner can still do the work. :goofy:

per post #1 & 13 we were talking about the owner doing the work.....:yikes:

the word "ANNUAL" only applies to production certified aircraft, so? why are we discussing EXP aircraft?

they don't get annuals.
Besides, anyone can work on any aircraft.

the word "ANNUAL" only applies to production certified aircraft, so? why are we discussing EXP aircraft?

they don't get annuals.
Besides, anyone can work on any aircraft.

good question....why are we discussing annuals?....and not condition inspections? :nono:

Last edited:
Yea, who needs all of that useless information the FAA puts out that answers the question. :rolleyes2:

Quoting regs does not answer a specific inquiry. A person of medocre knoweldge can copy and post regs. But it takes a person of perception and intelligence to interpret the regs to answer a specific question.

Quoting regs does not answer a specific inquiry. A person of medocre knoweldge can copy and post regs. But it takes a person of perception and intelligence to interpret the regs to answer a specific question.
Oh....:yikes:
:idea::ohsnap::yeahthat:

And it takes someone with a mediocre knowledge to be able to read simple guidance to find an answer without having someone interpret it for them. :rolleyes2:

The reg quoted speaks for itself. There is no need for additional interpretation.

Yup....no interpretation is needed to read the regs. :no:

Half the readers here can't read these simple messages and understand what the poster meant. And you want them to understand the regs? yeah right. !

Back