Announcing position while driving home

Sounds a lot like Vermont. Except here in Vermont, most of the highways are two laners, and opportunities to pass are rare due to winding curves, and usually obstructed by oncoming traffic. When there is someone behind me on a two-laner who obviously wants to pass, I usually pull over at the next available spot. But the vast majority of these people go 10 to 15 mph below the speed limit and obstinately refuse to do that.

See, I don’t understand that. If I have someone faster behind me and the opportunity presents itself for me to pull over or waive them past, I’ll do so. Do it all the time in the country and especially in the mountains. I’m usually the fast mover on the freeways, but if I’m up in the hills I’m driving slow to enjoy the sights and do not want to hinder those who are trying to get somewhere.

See, I don’t understand that. If I have someone faster behind me and the opportunity presents itself for me to pull over or waive them past, I’ll do so. Do it all the time in the country and especially in the mountains. I’m usually the fast mover on the freeways, but if I’m up in the hills I’m driving slow to enjoy the sights and do not want to hinder those who are trying to get somewhere.
Since the people I'm talking about live locally for the most part, I seriously doubt they are going slow to enjoy the sights. I can sort of understand slowing down when approaching a curve since you never know if there will be a deer standing in the middle of the road. But many folks here drive WAY too tentatively for that to be the reason. It seems to be a general fear of driving on two lane roads, since they typically go well over the speed limit on the interstate.

I just wish everyone would do the courteous thing and wave the faster traffic by.

Well when I drive home I start my transmission with "Rush hour traffic" and end it with "rush hour" but I guarantee you that in between is *not* a position report.

Sounds a lot like Vermont. Except here in Vermont, most of the highways are two laners, and opportunities to pass are rare due to winding curves, and usually obstructed by oncoming traffic. When there is someone behind me on a two-laner who obviously wants to pass, I usually pull over at the next available spot. But the vast majority of these people go 10 to 15 mph below the speed limit and obstinately refuse to do that.

And everyone has a gun. So be polite to folks in Vermont.

And everyone has a gun. So be polite to folks in Vermont.
There's truth to that! So why are these Vermonters so rude to people behind them?

(Of course, the rate of violent crime involving guns is EXTREMELY low in Vermont... so we must be doing something right!)

Because they have a gun. And you don't.
Ya didn't read the fine print there, did ya? ;)

In fact they have no way of knowing whether I (or any of the - usually - 5 or 6 cars behind them) have a gun, and that fact is supposed to breed politeness. It doesn't work, of course, when no one is afraid that the other guy is going to use their weapon. Which is pretty much the case in Vermont. As I said, the rate of violence involving guns here is so small it's almost impossible to quantify.

Since the people I'm talking about live locally for the most part, I seriously doubt they are going slow to enjoy the sights. I can sort of understand slowing down when approaching a curve since you never know if there will be a deer standing in the middle of the road. But many folks here drive WAY too tentatively for that to be the reason. It seems to be a general fear of driving on two lane roads, since they typically go well over the speed limit on the interstate.

I just wish everyone would do the courteous thing and wave the faster traffic by.

In Southern Missouri, which is quite hilly (they call them the Ozark "Mountains" but they're not) 99.999% of the time, when you get behind someone who's driving exceedingly slow on the curvy, hilly, two lane highways, they have Oklahoma or Kansas plates (especially Kansas). It's like those idiots have never seen a hill before or been on a road where you can't see a full mile of pavement ahead.

ESPECIALLY KANSAS!!!

No, but I have found myself “taxiing” the car with the wheels straddling the center line.

Go to the museum to see the Spruce Goose. The road into the place is painted like a runway. I straddled the center line like I would at any other runway. Good thing there wasn't any oncoming traffic.

In Southern Missouri, which is quite hilly (they call them the Ozark "Mountains" but they're not) 99.999% of the time, when you get behind someone who's driving exceedingly slow on the curvy, hilly, two lane highways, they have Oklahoma or Kansas plates (especially Kansas). It's like those idiots have never seen a hill before or been on a road where you can't see a full mile of pavement ahead.

ESPECIALLY KANSAS!!!

I spent half of my junior year in high school in Massachusetts (Newton HS). My math teacher had been "out west to Ohio" once. He was amazed that they drove 60 mph on two lane highways through the corn fields. Straight highways. I laughed. In eastern Washington the highways are anything but straight, and we felt very virtuous if we kept it down to 60 mph on those roads. "Out west to Ohio"! What a flaming joke and it showed just how provincial Bostonians are. If it didn't happen within 20 miles of the Prude it wasn't worth reporting on the news. Yeah, this was in 1969, but I don't miss living in that part of the country at all.

Back