And so it begins....

Not just anal, but a very wealthy anal master craftsman metal worker. Did you see his shop? There were over $200k in receipts on the 310 what he spent on it, and I don't think he flew it except before he started spending.

I haven't seen his shop, but I've seen his website and the work they do. It's very detailed and meticulous, a perfect career for him. It's obviously a trait for Charlie. Somebody, someday, is going to get a nice T210, too, now that he's upgrading.

There is a picture of me, about 5 years old with a sippy cup next to dad's cutlass with that EXACT paint job

Do you have it?! Would love to see it. I would have loved updated paint, but the classic look is okay too, a straight airframe is more important, and this original paint is actually in pretty good condition being in that dry climate and always hangared. I was showing my youngest daughter our "paint schemes we like" folder of pictures, and she said "yeah, but that classic brown and orange is awesome... maybe you could do the modern scheme with the classic colors..." Hmm. I haven't seen anybody do that! Interesting idea.

Beautiful plane. Congrats!

Thanks Jordan!

Very cool plane! Where will it be based, so I can keep an eye out for it?

You're exactly right about how the Cessna RGs look when they are retracting, but I do think they look great when they get up.

Eventually (maybe even intially, if I can find space) at KFTW Fort Worth Meacham (10 minutes from my house). Hangar space (shared or individual) is at a premium in the DFW metroplex--long waiting lists at the major airports. That said, KFTW has plans to build 180 new city-owned T-hangars, but that will be several years away. I'm on several waiting lists there already. KDTO might be an option; I was on their waiting list before, and an individual T-hangar opened up reasonably quick through Nebrig (several months, but less than a year). Hicks (T67) or NW Regional (52F) are also options. I haven't yet looked at Spinks (KFWS) or Grand Prairie (KGPM), but I did get an offer through Angel Flight's new home airport, Dallas Executive (Redbird-KRBD) that they will make room for me in a shared hangar there if I can't find any other place before 2/16. So at least she'll be under cover!

Thanks!

Troy, congrats! I really like the look of the 182 retracts, very pretty and clean. Very nice choice of a ride.

Combines those nice qualities of all 182s with "get up and go fast(er) and high(er)" for the longer trips.

Nicely done, friend! I cannot wait to ride in her.

Thanks Spike! And you will. In fact, you might have to be the first one other than us to see it (returning the favor, as you did with your Bonanza, my friend!).

Very nice. Living the dream.

Finally! ;-) My nightmare the past few years has been the rental market. Drove me to insanity. And buying my own.

That plane looks sweet!

We're excited! We do have plans for upgrades (paint and avionics) over the next few years. I have had reserved for some time an N-number, for just this day (N855WH), a tribute to my step-grandfather, who is no longer with us, but the "WH" works for my last name too.

Eventually she'll get some updated radios, an Aspen (or whatever is around at the time that makes sense) and an autopilot upgrade (System 55X or something similar--maybe Garmin will have something like the Avidyne DFC90 by that time).

Combines those nice qualities of all 182s with "get up and go fast(er) and high(er)" for the longer trips.

Yeah, that will make a nice family plane for you. I know how young ladies love to bring "stuff" along on trips. :rolleyes2: I've sometimes had to be the luggage nazzi, "No, still too heavy, take our more stuff".

Only flew a turbo RG once and never high enough to see any benefit.

Congrats!!!!!:happydance:

Ah....and one of the happiest days of an aircraft owner's life.....the purchase. :D

Most of the credit for attaining this long desired step goes to my bride, who said a few months ago, "Before we even consider any more upgrades to the house or such things, you are going to buy us an airplane!" Yes, you lovely girl, I can do that.

I got a call from the airport where I had been on a waiting list for a hangar for over a year while having lunch with my wife, saying that a hangar was available. I told them I'd have to call them back in a few minutes.

I asked my wife if I should grab it, and she instantly said "yes."

"But I don't even have an airplane yet!" I replied.

"Then get off your ass and buy an airplane already." she said, rolling her eyes.

The right woman is priceless.

Congrats, looks like a great bird!

So if there is such a dire shortage of hangars then GA cannot be as dead as some are saying?

Well, most of then are full of furniture and old pool tables.

And that's fixin' to change, thankfully. At least I hope it's followed through on.

Can Teresa and I fly out to see you and Chris?!

32186-vt.jpg

Last edited:
Congratulations! You'll love it!

Make sure your pre-purchase confirms that they checked off SEB901R3 when they did the gear stuff. One of the few 'gotcha's' on the airframe.

Have fun!

Jim

Last edited:
You do realize where you are going to have to fly on Labor Day Weekend, right?

Spike is going to be running out of excuses...

I got a call from the airport where I had been on a waiting list for a hangar for over a year while having lunch with my wife, saying that a hangar was available. I told them I'd have to call them back in a few minutes.

I asked my wife if I should grab it, and she instantly said "yes."

"But I don't even have an airplane yet!" I replied.

"Then get off your ass and buy an airplane already." she said, rolling her eyes.

The right woman is priceless.

Congrats, looks like a great bird!

You got one too!! She's a keeper!!

It has a GNS430W in the panel, and I have ForeFlight with Stratus. We have things covered!

Garmin 340 Audio Panel with music input
Garmin 430 WAAS GPS/Nav/Com with moving map
King KX165 Nav/Com
King HSI LOC *VOR *G/S (remote slave)
King KN62A DME
King LOC* VOR *G/S Indicator
King KT76C Transponder
King KR57 ADF
Cessna 300A Autopilot (HDG, ALT, NAV, APP) Stormscope WX900
Intercom (4*place)
Marker Beacons
406 ELT
Built in O2

I missed it. Nice list. Congrats.

Congrats!! I'm jealous about the plane and the wife's awesome perspective! When I buy my first plane in a couple years it's gonna be accompanied by a huge guilt trip.

Passed an initial look see and test flight last weekend! Returning with my mechanic / type-knowledgable IA the weekend of the 14th for final inspection, and if all is well, close Monday the 16th and fly it home to Texas!

The 172 I flew to get back BFR'd had that same paint colour/scheme.

Cessna must have liked it.

Looks like a great plane, congrats and hope the rest of the process goes well.

Very nice, Troy! Good luck with the purchase. You'll enjoy it.

Congratulations! I bought my '79 TR182 in 2012. I have now ~250 hours in mine and it has been a fantastic airplane. It is a real XC machine that combines speed with high altitude options to get you up and over stuff. I can't believe it sometimes when they clear me to climb and maintain FL200! Holy chit that's up there (for me). :D

If you have any ownership-type questions about the TR182 just drop me a PM.

Congratulations!

Last edited:
Congrats Troy! If I didn't already have a great wife with the same kind of attitude, I would ask if your wife has a sister.

Very nice Troy. I knew someone years ago who had one as his personal airplane and thought it was a good choice.

Hi Troy. Somehow I missed this at first too. Great looking plane. Congratulations. Looking forward to the first fly-in that both of us can attend so i can see her up close and personal.

Mary and I can't wait to see that beautiful bird on the ramp here in Port A, and at our home 'drome in Ingleside!

Good luck with the inspection. We've got our fingers and toes crossed for ya...

We flew it home to TX from Deer Valley Airport (man they have a LOT of traffic with two international flight schools) north of Phoenix yesterday, five hours flying time. Even though she's not a pilot, we titled it as "Troy and Teresa" with the FAA, because it's "our airplane." I'll write up the whole story with more pics this weekend. Just giving a quick update for now.

603d0cf34f451bb8bba3d363ebc43408.jpg

We flew it home to TX from Deer Valley Airport (man they have a LOT of traffic with two international flight schools) north of Phoenix yesterday, five hours flying time. Even though she's not a pilot, we titled it as "Troy and Teresa" with the FAA, because it's "our airplane." I'll write up the whole story with more pics this weekend. Just giving a quick update for now.

603d0cf34f451bb8bba3d363ebc43408.jpg
Woot! Looking good! :)

To quote you Troy anytime I have good news...
DUDE!

and Congratulations!

Back