And so it begins....

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
Today, my offer was accepted on a cherry 1980 Cessna TR182, last 17 years in Scottsdale AZ with a single owner who spared no expense on maintenance. I fly out Monday for a look see, escrow that afternoon, then back on the weekend of Feb 14/15 for a detailed inspection with my Cessna-whisperer IA. If all is well, we'll close and fly it back Monday Feb 16th!

Most of the credit for attaining this long desired step goes to my bride, who said a few months ago, "Before we even consider any more upgrades to the house or such things, you are going to buy us an airplane!" Yes, you lovely girl, I can do that.

82abade97cddfd5acb82b82bb2d46c2c.jpg

4b9a4e289f6cb4c85ed360c6b9d12980.jpg

dcbbe7d40799e545b66daf5948b042da.jpg

Sweet! Congrats, Troy! May it be everything you hope it will be!

HAHAH!!!! Congratulations!!!
That is awesome. Kudos to your selection of bride as well :)

Congrats, it's a nice looking plane

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

You will enjoy the TR. I've got a ton of time in a friend's R. Great plane for travel.

Not a huge fan of the cessna RGs, that one looks clean though, having a GNS430 and a HSI are a nice plus

The Cessna RGs look like flying wasps when the gear is retracting, in my opinion! This picture was taken after the first one, and shows they added 12" numbers for international travel.

c611531b921cd92906df79ad3b08d742.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats. Nice looking 182.

Primary mission is Angel Flights and trips to the beach (S Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Bahamas!). I do want to fly the Keys soon.

There's also the potential to use the plane for some business travel.

Primary mission is Angel Flights and trips to the beach (S Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Bahamas!) And occasionally hauling locals to BBQ joints ;) I do want to fly the Keys soon.

FTFY.

Awesome Troy, you'll love it. Owning feels so much better when you fly.

Wow great plane!!! CONGRATS!!!

There is a picture of me, about 5 years old with a sippy cup next to dad's cutlass with that EXACT paint job

Primary mission is Angel Flights and trips to the beach (S Texas, North Carolina, Florida, Bahamas!). I do want to fly the Keys soon.

FYI - you will need 12" N number to fly to the Bahamas. Brake out the duct tape.:D

Is that a real King RNAV hiding on that panel? Heh.

Congrats Troy. Nice airplane.

Looks like you'll be half heartedly shopping for a certified GPS too. Heh.

Lol, looked like it I rode in it. My 310 came from him as well. At least you can be confident that plane is in superlative condition.

Wow!! Small world. Yes, he is "beyond analYTICAL" on maintenance. One example: In 2004, during annual, with no history of gear problems, he preemptively had the mechanical gear components and pivots sent out for magnaflux and dye penetrant testing, just because he wanted assurance there was NOTHING with the gear that would get him stuck in Mexico while on his business trips.

Is that a real King RNAV hiding on that panel? Heh.

Congrats Troy. Nice airplane.

Looks like you'll be half heartedly shopping for a certified GPS too. Heh.

It has a GNS430W in the panel, and I have ForeFlight with Stratus. We have things covered!

Garmin 340 Audio Panel with music input
Garmin 430 WAAS GPS/Nav/Com with moving map
King KX165 Nav/Com
King HSI LOC *VOR *G/S (remote slave)
King KN62A DME
King LOC* VOR *G/S Indicator
King KT76C Transponder
King KR57 ADF
Cessna 300A Autopilot (HDG, ALT, NAV, APP) Stormscope WX900
Intercom (4*place)
Marker Beacons
406 ELT
Built in O2

And 765 since a factory overhaul. These O540's are stout bulletproof engines. Mind the manual waste gate and no issues going to TBO.

Very cool plane! Where will it be based, so I can keep an eye out for it?

You're exactly right about how the Cessna RGs look when they are retracting, but I do think they look great when they get up.

Troy, congrats! I really like the look of the 182 retracts, very pretty and clean.

Very nice choice of a ride.

Nicely done, friend! I cannot wait to ride in her.

Very nice. Living the dream.

Wow!! Small world. Yes, he is "beyond analYTICAL" on maintenance. One example: In 2004, during annual, with no history of gear problems, he preemptively had the mechanical gear components and pivots sent out for magnaflux and dye penetrant testing, just because he wanted assurance there was NOTHING with the gear that would get him stuck in Mexico while on his business trips.

Not just anal, but a very wealthy anal master craftsman metal worker. Did you see his shop? There were over $200k in receipts on the 310 what he spent on it, and I don't think he flew it except before he started spending.

Last edited:
Back